Thread: How to undo "Switch to Voice"

Feedback Score

How to undo "Switch to Voice"

voice.google.com now has a new banner with "Switch to Voice" under "Voice will soon replace Hangouts . . ."

After clicking on "Switch to Voice", there was no way to enable phone calling from within the Hangouts app.

Update: In Google Voice, under Settings, toggle "Hangouts calling" to ON. "Clear data" of the Hangouts app; the Hangouts app can then make phone calls again.

Latest impression of the (Google) Voice app:

The app seems to have improved its contacts search/list interface since the last time I tried the app.

However:

The app always vibrates when using ringtone (on incoming calls), and does not respect global settings.
    https://support.google.com/voice/thread/7216456?hl=en
    • Moto G (5.1): "Also vibrate for calls" -> OFF
    • LG Phoenix 2 (7.0): "Sound with vibration" -> OFF (but see below)
    • LG Xpression Plus (9.0): "Ring with vibration" -> OFF

On LG Phoenix 2 (7.0), without blocking notifications, the app uses the default notification sound instead of ringtone under global settings for incoming calls.
    If I block notifications, it uses ringtone and vibrates (see above), but there would not be any other notification.

The incoming call screen jumps up and down on Moto G and LG Phoenix 2, but is fine on LG Xpression Plus.

I use Gboard with Number row -> ON, and cannot edit device name due to screen adjustment.
    The web interface does not like the space character (unless one hits Shift-Space on the keyboard), so I ended up paste in "LG Phoenix 2", for example.

If I "Clear data" of the app (or reinstall it), it can take a (long?) while for things to sync up, and for the app to receive incoming calls again.
    (Also need to verify the device is still ON under "Call forwarding".)
    It seems restarting the phone helps.
    Previously, the Incoming calls > current device -> On interface was much more reliable.

I am giving up. I am staying on Hangouts for as long as possible.
    Last edited by andyk88; 10-25-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sounds too late now.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andyk88 View Post
    voice.google.com now has a new banner with "Switch to Voice" under "Voice will soon replace Hangouts . . ."

After clicking on "Switch to Voice", there was no way to enable phone calling from within the Hangouts app.

Update: In Google Voice, under Settings, toggle "Hangouts calling" to ON. "Clear data" of the Hangouts app; the Hangouts app can then make phone calls again.

Latest impression of the (Google) Voice app:

The app seems to have improved its contacts search/list interface since the last time I tried the app.

However:

The app always vibrates when using ringtone (on incoming calls), and does not respect global settings.
    https://support.google.com/voice/thread/7216456?hl=en
    • Moto G (5.1): "Also vibrate for calls" -> OFF
    • LG Phoenix 2 (7.0): "Sound with vibration" -> OFF (but see below)
    • LG Xpression Plus (9.0): "Ring with vibration" -> OFF

On LG Phoenix 2 (7.0), without blocking notifications, the app uses the default notification sound instead of ringtone under global settings for incoming calls.
    If I block notifications, it uses ringtone and vibrates (see above), but there would not be any other notification.

The incoming call screen jumps up and down on Moto G and LG Phoenix 2, but is fine on LG Xpression Plus.

I use Gboard with Number row -> ON, and cannot edit device name due to screen adjustment.
    The web interface does not like the space character (unless one hits Shift-Space on the keyboard), so I ended up paste in "LG Phoenix 2", for example.

If I "Clear data" of the app (or reinstall it), it can take a (long?) while for things to sync up, and for the app to receive incoming calls again.
    (Also need to verify the device is still ON under "Call forwarding".)
    It seems restarting the phone helps.
    Previously, the Incoming calls > current device -> On interface was much more reliable.

I am giving up. I am staying on Hangouts for as long as possible.
    Google is trying to undermine its own products....
    soon you have install two apps to use google voice and hangout.....
    Last edited by Androided; 10-26-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I just now got the warning message on one of my devices about switching away from Hangouts to Voice for calls and messages, which for me isn't a big deal, as I don't routinely use HO for calls (isn't reliable enough, nor is GV over Wi-Fi), and for SMS for a secondary GV account I use it on another device, which I can install GV in for that purpose.

I do use HO for IM for a couple if contacts, and I understand that will be changing to Google Chat eventually.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    New GV app icon with v2020.46.xxxx update. No idea about any operational tweaks; none noticed yet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Latest Hangouts update (v36.0.3407xxxxx) on my device is now missing the Incoming Phone Calls toggle for my primary account, but it still appears for a secondary account. It may be coincidental, but I don't have the GV app set up for incoming calls for that secondary account on any device currently. Whereas I do for my primary GV account. Maybe Hangouts is able to detect that and if it thinks you're getting calls through the GV app it drops that feature from HO.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I've been reading reviews on Google Chat, which is available to certain corporate users of GSuite (maybe now Google Workspace), and the news is overwhelmingly not good. I've been anticipating having to switch to it from Hangouts for IM purposes (for essentially one person, ha-ha), and hopefully by the time Google really wants to flip the switch on this Chat will be more fleshed out. Or I'll try to get this other person on some other app.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, Sprint, T-Mo, & Verizon.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I've been reading reviews on Google Chat, which is available to certain corporate users of GSuite (maybe now Google Workspace), and the news is overwhelmingly not good. I've been anticipating having to switch to it from Hangouts for IM purposes (for essentially one person, ha-ha), and hopefully by the time Google really wants to flip the switch on this Chat will be more fleshed out. Or I'll try to get this other person on some other app.
    What is the not good news? Chat basically sucks or something else? I am not looking forward to the Classic Hangouts going away.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm not looking forward to it either.

Go to the Google Play store and look up Chat and check out the reviews there, for starters. I don't do group chats (no need), but Google said things like that (your regular conversations) would transfer over, but not for most of these respondents.