Thread: Fiber to Cell tower

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Fiber to Cell tower

All Was looking at some of our local cell towers and noticed that there is a separate fiber on the poles going only to cell towers. Is this typically how it's done with getting communications from the tower to the internet? Where would the fiber on the internet end be terminated at?

Pole from top to bottom;

Power
    |
    Cell Fiber line
    |
    Comcast
    |
    Telco Company
    Tricon23

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what you're asking. T-Mobile connects to the Internet at the switch, of which there are several around the country. This is why various things like speed test sites and stores may assume you're in New Mexico or some place far from your actual location.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Most of the time backhaul fiber to cell towers in run underground to the site

However I have spotted a few with above ground backhaul, mainly in larger cities / urban areas

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Depending on the 'where', you may find a dedicated fiber backhaul to 'somewhere' where it can be trunked to an ISP's core infra.
    As MEDIX1011 mentions, in urban areas, you'll find much of this to be an urban 'metro-net' where either dedicated or leased (telco/cableco) fiber is used to backhaul to an urban POP. Rural areas - you'll typically end up on a carrier that has a presence.
    Back in the boonies of NW Ontario, I remember when they were running this fiber along the highway (+700km). Here's a spot to the local cell tower (Rogers) .
    https://www.google.com/maps/@48.6340...8i8192!5m1!1e4
    and microwave relay
    https://www.google.com/maps/@48.6341...8i8192!5m1!1e4
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Before fiber T1s circuits where the main source of backhaul at sites. Glad those days are over with.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tricon23 View Post
    All Was looking at some of our local cell towers and noticed that there is a separate fiber on the poles going only to cell towers. Is this typically how it's done with getting communications from the tower to the internet? Where would the fiber on the internet end be terminated at?
    Pole from top to bottom;

RRU/RRH
    |
    Cell Fiber line
    |
    MPOE box/room
    |
    Cell Fiber line (depends on the Telco Company/ISP since not all of them own infrastructure)
    |
    Telco Company/ISP (depends on the ISP since not all of them own infrastructure)

T-Mobile is responsible everything after the MPOE box/room to RRU/RRH, antennas and finding a Telco Company/ISP for service and if you are unlucky, they'll have to coordinate with somebody to get the line installed at the MPOE.

The Telco Company/ISP is responsible for connections up to the MPOE box/room, including any data centers, routing switches, fiber connections etc... under their control.

Due to the nature of the cell service they ("Telco Company/ISP") will hand off traffic to exchange points and other fiber operators as needed to the Internet and T-Mobile (because your device still needs to constantly authenticate itself as a subscriber, hand you off the next site, decide what band you should use).

Wireless backhaul is different, as the wireless ISP may have a tower to do the Rx/Tx for a given area and do some of the routing themselves, may contract a third party Telco Company/ISP for terrestrial service, or T-Mobile has a central tower to handle wireless backhaul and contract a third party Telco Company/ISP for terrestrial service.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 10-27-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The fiber physically connects back to a central office or carrier hotel. Around here in south Florida tmobile seems to use what was called fpl fiber net t(now crown castle the same that owns cell towers ) from the carrier hotel or central office it will connect to wherever the T-Mobile pop is - i suspect it’s at nap of the America’s / equinox major data center I’m Miami where they can exchange internet traffic with other carriers their peer with. For the lte voice I’m guessing it’s some sort of vpn to the tMobile core network ?