Thread: Solar Cellphone Charger Recommendations?

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Solar Cellphone Charger Recommendations?

I was thinking it might be good to have a solar cellphone charger and was looking at them on Walmart's website. The majority seem to be the same just rebranded with different prices.

The description on one said it has to be charged on an outlet a few times before it will work on solar. Do they have to be charged on an outlet periodically or are they truly solar powered?

Has anyone tried any of these cheap solar chargers that cost under $20?

I'd like to get one with a built in light and two ports if possible but one for around $11-12 has one cell USB port. The others are usually $15 and up.

I don't want to hassle with buying something that's junk and it usually means paying more, but they're probably all made in the same place.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I was thinking it might be good to have a solar cellphone charger and was looking at them on Walmart's website. The majority seem to be the same just rebranded with different prices.

The description on one said it has to be charged on an outlet a few times before it will work on solar. Do they have to be charged on an outlet periodically or are they truly solar powered?

Has anyone tried any of these cheap solar chargers that cost under $20?

I'd like to get one with a built in light and two ports if possible but one for around $11-12 has one cell USB port. The others are usually $15 and up.

I don't want to hassle with buying something that's junk and it usually means paying more, but they're probably all made in the same place.
    Those all have the look of cheap junk, likely of very low quality.

Even if they were of good quality, the size of the solar panel would be about 1/4 Watt. That would output 50 mA at 5V. It would take about 30 hours to charge the battery pack with 1000 mAh it takes to run a cellphone for a day. That would also require Sunny days and keeping it optimally pointed at the Sun.

Nothing in the $10-$20 range is going to save your bacon when grid electric is down. Some of the folding panels in the 10-20 Watt range will actually work, but they are in the $100 range.

I am disgusted every time I see those about cellphone sized ones that claim to be a 300,000 mAh battery pack. 300K mAh is 300 Ah. A car battery is about 30-50 Ah. They are just plain lying.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Great advice

Thanks for sharing with the community.

Personally I own a fold-out 3 panel Solar Charger from Blitzwolf which maxes out at 15 watts and has no attached battery, charges the phone through USB ports directly.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    The 10,000 mAh powerbanks with a solar panel are good only as powerbanks. Their solar panels are too small to be functional.

I have an Aukey solar charger (no powerbank). It has 4 large solar panels that can be folded. It has 2 2.4A ports.

It’s great for camping - charging phones, powerbanks, flashlights, emergency radios, portable fans, lanterns.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate it. It may have saved me from buying one of the cheapies just to try it. I thought they looked suspiciously cheap too, but can buy phones cheap these days so you'd think they'd be able to make a working solar charger. I'm just not tech savvy so it's why I asked. I have seen a couple of the folding kind. I'll look at those again. We have a generator here but never know.

Sent from my LGL84VL using HoFo mobile app