Thread: VoLTE support on unlocked phones

Feedback Score

VoLTE support on unlocked phones

I've been searching high and low for the answer to my question, but I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere.

My girlfriend has an Umidigi A7 Pro on T-Mobile postpaid right now. For those who don't know, Umidigi is a Chinese brand known for giving good spec phones at reasonable prices. These are all imported from China and are not sold by any major carrier or major retailer.

My concern seems to be that I read that a leaked document confirmed that T-Mobile would be sunsetting 2G and 3G on 12/31/2020. When she goes to make phone calls, her network indicator shows 3G above the signal bar. This indicates to me that her phone is not VoLTE compatible or her phone does not do calls over the correct VoLTE band. Her phone has all the required T-Mobile bands except for Band 71.

Is Band 71 what T-Mobile uses for voice? Will she need to get a new device by January if she wants to make and receive calls? Has T-Mobile confirmed that they're sunsetting their 2G and 3G networks soon?

Feedback Score
    They’ll inform those affected. As for the phone. Two things.

It may not have been certified by T-Mobile to work on VoLTE. Check the IMEI here to see what the system says https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

Check the settings of the device to see if the feature is even on at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
    They’ll inform those affected. As for the phone. Two things.

It may not have been certified by T-Mobile to work on VoLTE. Check the IMEI here to see what the system says https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

Check the settings of the device to see if the feature is even on at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most unlocked non-carrier specific phones are working well with VoLTE on t-mobile...
    i have many Huawei, LeEco, Xiaomi phones, VoLTE working extreme well on T-mobile out of box.
    never needed to be certified by t-mobile....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I've been searching high and low for the answer to my question, but I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere.

My girlfriend has an Umidigi A7 Pro on T-Mobile postpaid right now. For those who don't know, Umidigi is a Chinese brand known for giving good spec phones at reasonable prices. These are all imported from China and are not sold by any major carrier or major retailer.

My concern seems to be that I read that a leaked document confirmed that T-Mobile would be sunsetting 2G and 3G on 12/31/2020. When she goes to make phone calls, her network indicator shows 3G above the signal bar. This indicates to me that her phone is not VoLTE compatible or her phone does not do calls over the correct VoLTE band. Her phone has all the required T-Mobile bands except for Band 71.

Is Band 71 what T-Mobile uses for voice? Will she need to get a new device by January if she wants to make and receive calls? Has T-Mobile confirmed that they're sunsetting their 2G and 3G networks soon?
    The easiest way to determine this....
    a) Go to an area where there is no 3g/2g service (like northern MI, which in some areas have B12/B71 only on LTE)
    b) 'if' you have the ability through *#*#4636*#*# set your device to LTE only... if you can't make calls/text, then you're out of luck. Note: Be careful with some of these settings ... I can't speak for your device, but some settings can lock you out of your device/wipe it/brick it.
    c) Check your call settings, some devices have option for VoLTE... others do not.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post

T-Mobile has not confirmed when they're turning off 2G and 3G. I wouldn't worry about it until they make a public announcement. They're not going to shut off your girlfriend's service on short notice.

And to answer your other point, T-Mobile can use other bands for VoLTE not just B71. So the reason it's going to 3G for voice calls is because the phone just doesn't have T-Mobile's VoLTE spec.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    b) 'if' you have the ability through *#*#4636*#*# set your device to LTE only... if you can't make calls/text, then you're out of luck. Note: Be careful with some of these settings ... I can't speak for your device, but some settings can lock you out of your device/wipe it/brick it.
    c) Check your call settings, some devices have option for VoLTE... others do not.
    Yes, dialing the *#*#4636*#*# INFO menu will show if you have an LTE voice connection and can be set there. Agree you can get into trouble with some of the dialing codes, but *#*#4636*#*# should be OK. I was playing with some others on my Moto and lost the ability to access *#*#4636*#*# in the default dialer.

There is an app that can access the *#*#4636*#*# menu if your phone doe not have it.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cky.switcher4g

Feedback Score
    I tested a umidig s3 pro on T-Mobile postpaid, volte and vowifi worked . It doesn't have band 66 or 71

Can you confirm the APN setup? I didn't have to tweak anything for tmobile volte, but had to add ims to apntype to get volte/vowifi working (it was a local sim purchased when travelling in that country)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    I tested a umidig s3 pro on T-Mobile postpaid, volte and vowifi worked . It doesn't have band 66 or 71

Can you confirm the APN setup? I didn't have to tweak anything for tmobile volte, but had to add ims to apntype to get volte/vowifi working (it was a local sim purchased when travelling in that country)
    Technically, 'all' T-Mobile bands support VoLTE. The kicker initially for B71 was that it was deployed in areas where B4/B2 (AWS/PCS) doesn't always exist. Eg. Parts on northern MI, there are sites that are just 'B12/B71' only, and T-Mobile hasn't deployed 3G AWS or PCS due to both a lack of spectrum and the fact that it is quite rural and there would be large gaps of coverage. This was one of the pushes for VoLTE.
    B4 in many areas may cover B66. I.E. B4 = AWS A-F. B66= B4 + AWS G-J.

Depending on where you live, it may not matter much. B2 / B4 (or B66) may be the primary, where B12/B71 add additional. If you really have time to check... look on cellmapper.net or this site (doesn't appear to be healthy https://specmap.sequence-omega.net/ )

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Your Umidigi A7 Pro is not sunsetting... it has all the 4g bands. 4g and LTE are not the same. It will just move to 4g if 2g/3g are shutdown.

Android 10 should have better support for LTE

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    Your Umidigi A7 Pro is not sunsetting... it has all the 4g bands. 4g and LTE are not the same. It will just move to 4g if 2g/3g are shutdown.

Android 10 should have better support for LTE
    Technically speaking.... 4G ~= 3G with highspeed data. 4G LTE= different radio altogether.
    3G = UMTS (WCDMA)
    4G = UTMS/HSPA (WCDMA)
    4G LTE = OFDM

Interesting bits on that... handset menus list '3G', while the display that the carriers push will show '4G' (no LTE).

Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone for chiming in. I may take a look at some of the advanced settings on it sometime. But if most of you think it'll be a non-issue, then I may not even worry about it. It was a gift I got for her on her birthday earlier this summer, and she's just happy not to have one of those $30 prepaid models anymore. She'd be irritated if she had to switch devices again after just getting used to this one.