Thread: TextNow suddenly stopped working

Feedback Score

TextNow suddenly stopped working

I installed TextNow about a month and a half ago on my Motorola Moto e6. Yes, I know common wisdom is that the phone is problematic with Sprint data. But it seemed to be working fine.
    Then one morning it wasn't fine anymore. I would make a call on data, it would indicate "Connecting . . ." and keep ringing, but the call would never go through.
    I spent 3 hours on line with support, but they weren't able to solve it. They escalated, and said they'd call me back---if I live long enough, I guess.
    Anybody have any better ideas than tech support has? Thanks.
    Interestingly, my friend who only needs an emergency phone installed the app. And weirdly, it reads "3G" and not "LTE." He also contacted tech, and many, many hours later was escalated. And they actually called back. And then they escalated him again.

Feedback Score
    Does your friend’s phone have any profile in it?

I used a phone before with ATT but phone still had a a FreedomPop profile. I could only get 3G until I removed the FPop profile.

With TextNow, I couldn’t make calls or texts even though phone was showing LTE. Culprit was also an existing profile. I deleted the profile and TextNow worked fine after.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Does your friend’s phone have any profile in it?

I used a phone before with ATT but phone still had a a FreedomPop profile. I could only get 3G until I removed the FPop profile.

With TextNow, I couldn’t make calls or texts even though phone was showing LTE. Culprit was also an existing profile. I deleted the profile and TextNow worked fine after.
    Wow thanks. My friend's phone was indeed used for FreedomPop! I don't know if that app was ever uninstalled.
    As for my phone, I bought it on ebay, and it seemed to never have been used. I did a factory reset on it tonight, so that should have removed any remnants from a previous service. But the problem persists--shows "LTE" but won't connect.
    Another weird thing about my phone is that there are 2 TextNow accounts on it. One, linked to my hotmail account, is WiFi only, and the other, linked to my google account, is WiFi and data. How that happened I do not know

Feedback Score
    i just tested textnow (free on sprint) on 2 handsets and its working perfect for me

a couple times when i had issues i 'cancelled' the plan(free plan) and than immiediatly re-activated and everything worked

if you are paying for a data plan this route may be problematic(it warns you will get no credit for the cancellation) but i see no reason not to try if you are on a free plan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i just tested textnow (free on sprint) on 2 handsets and its working perfect for me

a couple times when i had issues i 'cancelled' the plan(free plan) and than immiediatly re-activated and everything worked

if you are paying for a data plan this route may be problematic(it warns you will get no credit for the cancellation) but i see no reason not to try if you are on a free plan
    Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't asking if the system was down. I was working on a problem unique to my phone.
    I am not paying for data.
    And the weird update is: like I said, I did a factory reset, since as a result of some hoops support put me through, the phone was no longer reading "LTE." After the reset, it was.
    I just did a SCRTN reset. And then shut down WiFi and dialed my landline. Lo and behold, the call went through! How long this will last, I will see.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
    Wow thanks. My friend's phone was indeed used for FreedomPop! I don't know if that app was ever uninstalled.
    On iPhones, deleting the FreedomPop app doesn’t delete the profile. You’ll have to go into Settings to remove the profile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    On iPhones, deleting the FreedomPop app doesn’t delete the profile. You’ll have to go into Settings to remove the profile.
    Ha. He has an old Huawei phone. Remarkably, it is Android 5, so it accepts the TextNow app. I will speak to him tomorrow about deleting FreedomPop. Maybe he should just do a factory reset---he has no apps or even phone numbers stored.