Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Any inside scoop on CDMA retirement status?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Well they kind of have to sunset Sprint's 800 MHz network since Dish owns the spectrum now
    Oh??

Dish confirmed they will be taking that spectrum?
    This is news to me as I've yet to read up on it anywhere.

Would not surprise me in the least though, considering that was the Spectrum that gave my Tello phone service inside my house (barely) and now I get trouble getting any signal inside (1x only now) and only get 3G where I used to be able to at least "force" B26 LTE.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Huh? Every single article I can find online says end of 2020 after searching for: Verizon sunset CDMA. It was supposed to be the end of 2019 and then Verizon announced the postponement late last year stating that the new retirement date was at the end of 2020.
    Verizon pushed out the CDMA retirement date a year because 1) Their VoLTE network was not ready in all areas, and 2) Many of their customers were still using non-VoLTE phones. Not sure how well they got this information out to their customers. It did not go very well with the MVNOs using the Verizon network. You would not know unless trying to do an activation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pow_2k View Post
    He's 91 and already in decline. A lot of technology we feel is "simple" is not at a level he could handle. I've kept the Knack going with replacements from eBay over the years so he could keep using the device he was familiar with. If we move him to something else my mom is planning to go with a Jitterbug device but we're really hoping to avoid the device change.
    Does he still drive? Is he home bound? Just wondering why a cellphone is needed versus a regular cordless landline phone.

Honestly an iPhone is your best bet. They have all sorts of accessibility capabilities for the blind and differently able. Besides, with Siri, all you have to do is tell Siri what to do. “Hey Siri, call Bob”. And with call announce it will verbally tell you who is calling.

You can even link the phone to your Bluetooth hearing aid — that’s what my dad does.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Verizon pushed out the CDMA retirement date a year because 1) Their VoLTE network was not ready in all areas, and 2) Many of their customers were still using non-VoLTE phones. Not sure how well they got this information out to their customers. It did not go very well with the MVNOs using the Verizon network. You would not know unless trying to do an activation.
    Umm, they pushed it from 2019 to 2020. Of course now that the time is up they’re waffling again with this “it’s not a hard date” nonsense but if it breaks we won’t fix it.

Feedback Score
    Verizon is launching lowband 5G which uses 850 MHz they are not goign to delay the CDMA shutdown
    Generally agree, but with DSS can’t they just squeeze it into a really tiny slice of Band5?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well they kind of have to sunset Sprint's 800 MHz network since Dish owns the spectrum now
    Don’t believe this is true. Dish has the option to buy the 800 spectrum, if they choose not to, or an agreement can’t be reached, T-Mobile has to auction it off, if a set price isn’t met at auction, T-Mobile can keep it. Haven’t seen any reports dish reached a purchase agreement for the spectrum, but, may of missed it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Generally agree, but with DSS can’t they just squeeze it into a really tiny slice of Band5?
    You want them to use DSS on band 5 for 5G, 4G and 1x?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You want them to use DSS on band 5 for 5G, 4G and 1x?
    I can see this going downhill fast.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Don’t believe this is true. Dish has the option to buy the 800 spectrum, if they choose not to, or an agreement can’t be reached, T-Mobile has to auction it off, if a set price isn’t met at auction, T-Mobile can keep it. Haven’t seen any reports dish reached a purchase agreement for the spectrum, but, may of missed it.
    Link? I doubt this is true because T-Mobile can set the price so high so no one buys it as a way of keeping the spectrum. I doubt a Dem led FCC would let T-Mobile get away with this. Also if Verizon decides to come in and is willing to match any price T-Mobile throws out there, you think T-Mobile would sell it to Verizon?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    I can see this going downhill fast.
    I thought that’s what they were already doing. (Since 5G). Using 5MHz or 2.5MHz depending on the B5 license.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    I thought that’s what they were already doing. (Since 5G). Using 5MHz or 2.5MHz depending on the B5 license.

They won't do it on a band that currently shares 1xRTT/1XAdvanced because of what that would do to the back end Voice network.
    (Sure they may not being using it as much, but the fallback still needs to be stable for the time being.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Unless of course Verizon decides to delay the sunset date again! Anything is possible.
    No absolutely not… No extension… We need that precious spectrum for 5G now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pow_2k View Post
    My grandfather relies on his Samsung Knack (u310) for his phone. With his poor vision, poor hearing, and unfortunately slipping mind trying to move him to a new phone isn't feasible. The "old dog/new tricks" adage very much applies here. Honestly we're not sure how long he'll even be able to use this one. Since this phone is CDMA I've been trying to find concrete info on when this phone will no longer be able to be used. Most information I've found discussing CDMA status is a year back, a call to Verizon couldn't get any clear answers, and Verizon's CDMA Network Retirement KB article doesn't list any end date. Is there any chance someone has better (inside) info other than what VZW has officially published?
    You probably won’t like the answer but I highly suggest finding a different basic LTE flip phone ASAP. Although the suggested retirement date is the end of the year the simple fact is they are no longer fixing CDMA equipment. If something would happen tomorrow to the tower that covers his house and the CDMA equipment breaks it will not be replaced or repaired and he will not have any service until he gets a new phone. By getting him a new basic phone now you can ensure he will have continued coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    You probably won’t like the answer but I highly suggest finding a different basic LTE flip phone ASAP. Although the suggested retirement date is the end of the year the simple fact is they are no longer fixing CDMA equipment. If something would happen tomorrow to the tower that covers his house and the CDMA equipment breaks it will not be replaced or repaired and he will not have any service until he gets a new phone. By getting him a new basic phone now you can ensure he will have continued coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    This would be my suggestion as well.

Verizon has already pushed this back once, it's unlikely they would do again. Especially considering that T-Mobile (at least according to the former Sprint MVNO's) is fast tracking the sunset of Sprint's CDMA network. (There's now 3 MVNO's that have "confirmed" the end of CDMA service by the end of 2021.) That's taking into consideration that Sprint pre-merger had no plans on shuttering CDMA until at least 2022-2023 due to them literally being 3 years behind everyone else on the 4G LTE/VoLTE train. (Hell, many Seattle residential/suburbs were still 3G only for Sprint.)

There are still quite a few "basic" phones that will run on VoLTE. Alcatel even makes the Go Flip, and Coolpad makes the Snap. Both with bigger buttons for those older folks.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Link? I doubt this is true because T-Mobile can set the price so high so no one buys it as a way of keeping the spectrum. I doubt a Dem led FCC would let T-Mobile get away with this. Also if Verizon decides to come in and is willing to match any price T-Mobile throws out there, you think T-Mobile would sell it to Verizon?
    Its part of the merger agreement the DOJ approved. Tmobile would have no choice but to sell it to them if they agreed to pay the set price. What difference would it make of verizon, dish, or any other competitor ended up with it. The 800 spectrum tmobile doesn't care about honestly, it was sprints band 41 that was the prize of the merger. Sprints 800 spectrum has always been a PITA for sprint, and still isn't cleared in some areas of the country to be used even.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast