Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Any inside scoop on CDMA retirement status?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Link? I doubt this is true because T-Mobile can set the price so high so no one buys it as a way of keeping the spectrum. I doubt a Dem led FCC would let T-Mobile get away with this. Also if Verizon decides to come in and is willing to match any price T-Mobile throws out there, you think T-Mobile would sell it to Verizon?
    Found the link for it. Under divesture of 800MHz spectrum. Dish only has first option to buy it, if they don't tmobile has to auction it off, if the price for the spectrum doesn't reach a price higher than dish was going to pay for the licenses, tmobile gets to keep it. (Which I believe is around 3.2 billion). Dish has 3 years to decide. If they decline to buy it, there is a penalty they have to pay, unless, they have built out 20% of their network on their existing spectrum holdings, then they don't have to pay the penalty. If they do buy it, there are also penalties if build outs are not met by a certain time frame. https://www.lexology.com/library/det...a-564777fef304
    Last edited by Theghostlad82; 10-29-2020 at 09:43 PM.

Feedback Score
    If you do wind up having to buy a different flip phone I highly recommend
    https://www.verizon.com/basic-phones...sku=sku3850244
    I had an older version of this phone and it was by far the best cellphone I ever had !

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
    If you do wind up having to buy a different flip phone I highly recommend
    https://www.verizon.com/basic-phones...sku=sku3850244
    I had an older version of this phone and it was by far the best cellphone I ever had !
    My problem with all the "current" flip phones is they run a super neutered version of Android.. and Android is just not meant to be used with only a d-pad in this day and age.

every single one i've tried has just been a pitty to use. If any of these manufactures would actually take time to customize android properly and not let any stock-features show through.. it could be fine, but i've yet to find one whom properly does it.

I've got three different ones here I had acquired for my grandparents and the UI is just atrocious to use.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    The Exalt LTE is pretty good in that regard; I mean, if you got into the messages it looks a little like the android version (since it is) but modified for dpad. But you can just use the phone bit of it and it's very close to the old flips.

My suggestion would be also one of the jitterbug-style phones; they make ones with huge keys, and some allow even allow updating the contacts via a web site.

Does anybody know if the 3g network extenders are going to keep running? They've got to cost about nothing used these days, and his phone would then be able to connect to that if the 3G service is pulled from the actual cell sites.

Verizon is supposedly going to keep a sliver (1 channel I assume) of 1x up until Dec. 31 2022 to fullfill some alarm system contracts; assumption now is that everything but those alarm systems will be blocked at end of this year, but...? I'm assuming everything but those alarm systems will be barred effective Dec. 31 2020, but maybe there's so few 1x devices still that they'll just let them hang on?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    The Exalt LTE is pretty good in that regard; I mean, if you got into the messages it looks a little like the android version (since it is) but modified for dpad. But you can just use the phone bit of it and it's very close to the old flips.

My suggestion would be also one of the jitterbug-style phones; they make ones with huge keys, and some allow even allow updating the contacts via a web site.

Does anybody know if the 3g network extenders are going to keep running? They've got to cost about nothing used these days, and his phone would then be able to connect to that if the 3G service is pulled from the actual cell sites.

Verizon is supposedly going to keep a sliver (1 channel I assume) of 1x up until Dec. 31 2022 to fullfill some alarm system contracts; assumption now is that everything but those alarm systems will be blocked at end of this year, but...? I'm assuming everything but those alarm systems will be barred effective Dec. 31 2020, but maybe there's so few 1x devices still that they'll just let them hang on?
    The network extenders will all cease to function as to seeing most of them were only designed to "repeat" an existing CDMA signal. Since most of that signal (if not all) will be gone, the devices are essentially bricks - especially since they apparently cannot repeat LTE signals.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    The network extenders will all cease to function as to seeing most of them were only designed to "repeat" an existing CDMA signal. Since most of that signal (if not all) will be gone, the devices are essentially bricks - especially since they apparently cannot repeat LTE signals.
    Verizon 3G extenders actually made a VPN tunnel back to Verizon, took forever and a day to start up.. before they’d create an EvDO signal

We had one at grandpas house until they quit working, and eventually got an LTE Network Extender, as his property has zero cellular signal from any carrier, but he somehow can get 100/10 VDSL2 thanks to having a local telephone company that went mostly fiber a decade ago.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Verizon 3G extenders actually made a VPN tunnel back to Verizon, took forever and a day to start up.. before they’d create an EvDO signal

We had one at grandpas house until they quit working, and eventually got an LTE Network Extender, as his property has zero cellular signal from any carrier, but he somehow can get 100/10 VDSL2 thanks to having a local telephone company that went mostly fiber a decade ago.
    Some extenders are VPN (signal generator, not repeater) through local networks, but most are simply signal repeaters.
    (I've seen those CDMA VPNs in use inside a Circuit City before and know what they look like and how they function.)

The difference is a Signal Generator (or Micro Cell) uses any available internet connection to create the CDMA/EVDO/LTE/5G-NR signal.
    Repeaters take a weaker signal that it can latch onto and extends its range. (Think wifi repeater as the base of the technology.)

However, both need the signal to come from "somewhere" and as to seeing most of the CDMA backend for Signal Generators is already being shut down, once the last of CDMA goes, so does the back end. So even the Microcells more than likely won't work.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Some extenders are VPN (signal generator, not repeater) through local networks, but most are simply signal repeaters.
    (I've seen those CDMA VPNs in use inside a Circuit City before and know what they look like and how they function.)

The difference is a Signal Generator (or Micro Cell) uses any available internet connection to create the CDMA/EVDO/LTE/5G-NR signal.
    Repeaters take a weaker signal that it can latch onto and extends its range. (Think wifi repeater as the base of the technology.)

However, both need the signal to come from "somewhere" and as to seeing most of the CDMA backend for Signal Generators is already being shut down, once the last of CDMA goes, so does the back end. So even the Microcells more than likely won't work.
    Yeah but i'm sure that post was referring to the official one Verizon themselves sent out.. which was IP based.

Verizon never handed out signal boosters.. you had to buy them from a 3rd party such as Wilson/WeBoost, and those just typically repeat certain frequencies.. so they'd even work with LTE/5G on those specific bands.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah but i'm sure that post was referring to the official one Verizon themselves sent out.. which was IP based.

Verizon never handed out signal boosters.. you had to buy them from a 3rd party such as Wilson/WeBoost.
    Which again, still falls under my argument. They have to connect to a back end that is being shut down.

The one I saw was for The Verizon Wireless Kiosk inside Circuit City. In Bellevue, WA.
    (Where VZW has a massive coverage gap.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Which again, still falls under my argument. They have to connect to a back end that is being shut down.
    They actually all stopped working a while ago. Everyone I knew with one just woke up to them not working one day about ~9mos ago and was told by Verizon they had to buy a new LTE extender (they would not even put them out "on loan" to them!)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They actually all stopped working a while ago. Everyone I knew with one just woke up to them not working one day about ~9mos ago and was told by Verizon they had to buy a new LTE extender (they would not even put them out "on loan" to them!)
    Yea, they were supposed to "stop" working in mid 2019 when Verizon originally planned to shutter CDMA at the end of 2019.

Just means the IP back end for CDMA Micro Cells is fully gone, just like I already stated.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Yea, they were supposed to "stop" working in mid 2019 when Verizon originally planned to shutter CDMA at the end of 2019.

Just means the IP back end for CDMA Micro Cells is fully gone, just like I already stated.
    As I already said "until they quit working" in the reply before you chimed in as well

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Great conversation.

I have a Sprint SWAC line with an Alcatel GoFlip and I have it set to CDMA only mode myself just to satisfy the geek in me.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Great conversation.

I have a Sprint SWAC line with an Alcatel GoFlip and I have it set to CDMA only mode myself just to satisfy the geek in me.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I did it with AMPS, but that I was genuinely sad to see go as in Ohio I've still got spots rurally that have never had service again after it was flipped off.

CDMA on the other hand, it's like TDMA to me.. i'm not sad to see it go

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Honestly, my experience in terms of losing coverage, so far everywhere I've gone, if I'm somewhere that shows a 1x signal, it doesn't wait until the LTE is literally at 0 to switch to 1x; if I force my BB KeyOne to LTE only, it'll keep getting LTE service in areas that I've otherwise seen 1x (usually not 3g, by the time the signal's low enough to drop 4g it's usually not going to keep EVDO on either..) Not necessarily usable when it's right at 0 bars, but neither was the 1x when it's that weak (may work, but may have call fail or connect but no audio, or (phone transmitter strength limited) you can hear audio but they can't hear you.)

Neat thing I saw, up in SW Wisconsin along some of those twisty roads, there's like 50-60% coverage from VZW and USCC individually, but nearly continuous coverage combined. If you let the phone do it's thing, it drops to 1x and keeps flipping back and forth between USCC and VZW, the 80kbps or so 1x data speed you'd expect on weak 1x but it did hand off, and voice calls that drop every 10-15 seconds, they did not hand off; force LTE, and it flips between VZW and USCC 4G, and actually does it well enough to maintain data and voice service; as a passenger I did a test call (voicemail) and the VoLTE call actually stayed up, switching every 10 or 15 seconds as we went around the next curve and service flipped over.

Too ways to do LTE-only... one is to literally pick "LTE only" by dialing the "*#*#46368676#*#*" and flipping to LTE only there... or in the regular cellular radio menu, flip to "LTE/UMTS/GSM" (which ends up doing the same thing as "LTE only" in the US at least since Verizon, US Cellular, LTEiRA partners, etc. don't have UMTS/GSM.)
    Last edited by hwertz; 10-30-2020 at 11:44 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast