Thread: Hurricane Zeta

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Hurricane Zeta

So far not really impressed by T-Mobile's performance in Zeta. Towers up and calls and text work OK but data is a lost cause. Pings fail with 100% packet loss. I had to bring up U-verse data with generator to post this.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think calls and text demand more priority in such a disaster and data is less prioritized. Have patience and the issues will be resolved. The storm only made landfall yesterday and some damage is still in the assessment stage, long before resolution. Hopefully level minds will prevail about this.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I think calls and text demand more priority in such a disaster and data is less prioritized. Have patience and the issues will be resolved. The storm only made landfall yesterday and some damage is still in the assessment stage, long before resolution. Hopefully level minds will prevail about this.
    Not sure about 'calls'.. typically 'text' and 'data' are more likely to be brought up quickly before calls. Of course, that goes back to the old school non IP/VoLTE based. Regardless, calls (old school or not) takes more to provide than data. i.e. data/text can be delayed/buffered asychronously, while voice .. can't, and needs both endpoints.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was only sharing my experience when I was with At&t when Katrina hit New Orleans. Voice services were unavailable longer than text services back then. SMS was one of the first restored service for many in the aftermath. YMMV.

Data at that time wasn't anything like it is today with people routinely streaming audio/video on their phones.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It’s probably a backhaul issue

After Harvey devastated our area in 2017, the cell sites with working underground fiber lines worked just fine as long as the site was undamaged and had generator power

Sites with microwave backhaul were also ok as long as the microwave antenna wasn’t blown off and the Generator worked if it had one

Some legacy sites are still connected to the telco network with separate lines however where you might have working calls/texts but no data if the separate data backhaul is having issues

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I was only sharing my experience when I was with At&t when Katrina hit New Orleans. Voice services were unavailable longer than text services back then. SMS was one of the first restored service for many in the aftermath.
    The reason that SMS was more available than voice is because SMS can queue up in time slots, while voice channels need to lock the time slots for continuous use.

The overhead on SMS was negligible compared to voice in the GSM days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Jefferson Parish East Bank here.

I can hear four macros from my house.

All 4 stayed on air despite commercial power loss to all 4. However, I did notice oddities with certain LTE carriers appearing to go dark, while others stayed on.

I think this could be exacerbated by the fact that they are in the process of transitioning the L19 carrier to 15 MHz wide, but not all sites are on air. Some are EARFCN 675 @ 15 MHz wide, some are 675 @ 10 MHz, and some are still 650 @ 10 MHz, which is what it has been for a while.

Either way, T-Mobile stayed on air, Sprint appeared to stay on-air, Verizon stayed on-air, and ATT stayed on-air, although ATT appeared to put the network into a weird Voice/SMS prioritized state last night, as data stopped flowing on LTE (but did on UMTS), but iMessage, SMS, and VoLTE traffic all passed no problem.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    DIRS reporting of site outages from today https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachme...C-367859A1.pdf

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reedacus25 View Post
    The reason that SMS was more available than voice is because SMS can queue up in time slots, while voice channels need to lock the time slots for continuous use.

The overhead on SMS was negligible compared to voice in the GSM days.

Katrina was worse than anyone who wasn't there imagines. The inter-carrier connections broke down. When you could make a call you could only call phones on the same carrier.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    P.S. I'm not happy with AT&T either. After 18 hours U-verse Internet went down and stayed down. Where are the generators to power the VRADs? They were supposed to have thousands of backup generators that could be deployed on a moment's notice.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Katrina was worse than anyone who wasn't there imagines. The inter-carrier connections broke down. When you could make a call you could only call phones on the same carrier.
    This assumes you weren’t served by a 504 exchange, which created an inbound black hole.

My VRAD was down yesterday with no gen. I’ll be walking down to see if they brought one in in the interim but they don’t tend to be very quick with those, even though we both know someone starts getting emails when one falls off of commercial power.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reedacus25 View Post
    My VRAD was down yesterday with no gen. I’ll be walking down to see if they brought one in in the interim but they don’t tend to be very quick with those, even though we both know someone starts getting emails when one falls off of commercial power.
    I made a run into town today and noticed that the next street over had a generator on the VRAD but my street didn't rate high enough. That was the subject of an irate call to AT&T. We now have U-verse (yippee!) We're fully back in the 21st century. Things were pretty bad in downtown Long Beach this morning. Only business open were running on backup power. At Diamondhead the gas station sign that hosts T-Mobile's antennas is kacked over at about 10º and there were a pair of cranes working on it. One might have been a COW. I couldn't get either T-Mobile or Sprint signal in the north part of Diamondhead.

For all my complaining, I'm probably living in a little Shangrala. We now have all the modern amenities. Relations in Gulfport and Diamondhead are without power, landline phone. etc In all-electric homes. We spent one night in the dark and the next morning I dragged out the generator and hooked it up to the natural gas connection and we had power. Not enough to run everything but the food in the freezer didn't defrost.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Every power outage I get here in central florida due to imminent weather issues and TMobile goes down also.

Sent from my IN2025 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The situation in improving rapidly. T-Mobile seems to have moved their antennas that were on the (now removed) Waffle House sign just off I-10 in south Diamondhead to the adjacent cell tower. They also seem to have found a generator to power the Sprint tower in northern Diamondhead. Service in Long Beach (MS) is almost back to normal. AT&T has deployed many generators to their VRADs. I just wish that their battery backup time was not so much less than their generator deployment time. AFAIK, Sparklight (the local cable TV company) has no provision for backing up their system with generators and is totally dependent on the power company to keep their network operating.

Can't speak to the rest of the area. I've been staying off the roads as much as possible.

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    I was impressed by it. Not in the main impact area but in North Carolina Had a major several day power outage in my area. Trees down everywhere, no power, etc. on Low band 5G was averaging 30-80mbps at my house. LTE was sort of hit & miss though. Back in 2018 when we had a snow storm with a 5 day power outage, within an hour of the power outage data was zero
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com