iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands is now Off-Network

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 4.05.46 PM.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  44.9 KB

Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands is now Off-Network, it now belongs to Liberty.

I also just noticed a new PRL on my iPhone.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For those interested, here is a press release/article about the network in those countries: https://about.att.com/story/2019/att...nd%20contracts.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    So does AT&T still maintain FirstNet towers, or does liberty do that for them?
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    Why did AT&T do this? They surrendered 1.1 million customers. Anybody know the price? Does this sale mean AT&T is bleeding?
    Last edited by zapjb; 11-01-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    https://www.fiercetelecom.com/teleco...ct-it-to-close

DoJ steps in on AT&T and Liberty's $1.95B Puerto Rico deal but both companies expect it to close on Oct. 31
    by Mike Robuck | Oct 26, 2020 10:35am

On Friday, the Department of Justice (DoJ) stepped in on AT&T's deal to sell its operations in Puerto Rico to Liberty Communications for $1.95 billion.

The DoJ said it was requiring AT&T and Liberty Communications to offload certain assets to Puerto Rico-based WorldNet in order for Liberty to continue with its acquisition of AT&T's assets in both Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Liberty Communications is a subsidiary of Liberty Latin America.

Also on Friday, Liberty Latin America said it had entered into a consent agreement with the DoJ to sell-off some its B2B operations that are part of its operations in Puerto Rico to WorldNet in order to alleviate the DoJ's concerns.

Liberty Latin America expects a preliminary court order in the next few days permitting it to close on its transaction with AT&T by the end of this month. A spokesperson for AT&T also said the telco expects the deal to close on Oct. 31. AT&T first proposed the sell off of most its wireline and wireless assets to Liberty Communications over a year ago.

The DoJ complaint on Friday said Liberty and AT&T are two of the three largest wireline providers in Puerto Rico, and own two of three largest fiber-based networks on the island. The complaint said competition between Liberty and AT&T has led to lower prices and higher quality services for customers.

According to the complaint, the "combination of Liberty and AT&T would leave many customers with only one alternative and others with no competitive choice at all, likely resulting in increased prices and lower-quality services for enterprise customers across Puerto Rico."

On Friday, the Justice Department’s Antitrust Division filed a civil antitrust lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to block the proposed merger. Also on Friday, the department filed a proposed settlement that, if approved by the court, would resolve the competitive harm alleged in the department’s complaint.

The DoJ approved WorldNet as the acquirer of Liberty's fiber-based Columbus network in the metro San Juan area that Liberty bought as part of its purchase of Cable & Wireless four years ago.

WorldNet also gained other assets as part of the DoJ's requirement, including fiber facilities and indefeasible rights of rights of use across Puerto Rico. It will take over retail fiber-based enterprise customer accounts served by Liberty today, with some exceptions, and it will have the right to pull fiber through Liberty’s conduit and attach fiber Liberty’s telephone poles.

Lastly, WorldNet also has an option to buy segments of AT&T's aerial fiber-based core network. AT&T didn't comment on the possible sale of those assets.

“The merger, as originally structured, would have eliminated competition for critical fiber-optic-based telecommunications services that businesses in Puerto Rico rely on every day,” said Assistant Attorney General Makan Delrahim of the Justice Department’s Antitrust Division, in a statement on Friday. “Today’s settlement will ensure that businesses throughout Puerto Rico continue to benefit from vigorous competition in the provision of these services.”

AT&T has been reducing its debt load, thanks in part to pressure from Elliot Management, and building up a war chest for upcoming spectrum auctions.

With the Liberty deal, AT&T is keeping its FirstNet responsibilities and relationships, including its FirstNet network core and service capabilities, as well as DirecTV and certain global business customer relationships. After the deal closes, Liberty Latin America will support AT&T’s FirstNet build in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The deal also includes leases and real estate assets and 1.1 million mobile subscribers and contracts, with around 1,300 AT&T employees moving over to Liberty.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1.1 million subscribers, not 11.1

We don't have space for 11.1 million people here. =)

Feedback Score
    Yeah I edited. Don't know if I misread or the information was wrong.

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wp3gi View Post

Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands is now Off-Network, it now belongs to Liberty.

Thats intersesting. What about roaming? Would roaming be free?

Also how do you have a PRL? AT&T has never used PRL's. That's a CDMA thing
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Name:  IMG_540971AD62CE-1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  24.1 KB

click

Name:  IMG_540971AD62CE-2.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  24.2 KB

click

Name:  IMG_540971AD62CE-3.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  25.6 KB

If you click <Carrier> It show you <PRL 1> then the <IMS Status>

Only happens in iOS 14.1
    Last edited by wp3gi; 11-01-2020 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Easier to read

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    So does AT&T still maintain FirstNet towers, or does liberty do that for them?
    Yes firstnet still continues as planned

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Yes firstnet still continues as planned

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    So AT&T will still have towers of its own on the island? And AT&T customers will be able to use those if they plan on visiting Puerto Rico?

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    They sold the network, but I would imagine they have roaming agreements in place. Also the PRL seems to be appearing in the US also. Can someone check if they have it on iOS 14.1 or higher.

Feedback Score

It is a lie for PRL...
    At&t doesn't use PRL...
    maybe just fake iPhone bugs to put information in wrong place...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Name:  IMG_540971AD62CE-1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  24.1 KB

If you click <Carrier> It show you <PRL 1> then the <IMS Status>

Only happens in iOS 14.1
    Yeah its a bug. PRL is generally several numbers long not 1 digit.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's probably an iOS 14.1 bug but not because it's a "1".

That is the PRL version number. I used to edit PRLs when I had a CDMA carrier (Centennial PR) so I could connect to different SIDs (System IDs) and you can set the version anywhere from 1 - 65535. The file would contain Region Info, system id, if it would allow or deny a connection to that sid and if it was a preferred network over the previous one. I still have a copy of the PRLs from Centennial if someone is interested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast