Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is mmWave 5G worth the money?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Is mmWave 5G worth the money?

I am on a regular basic unlimited plan. The $35 starter one. I believe it includes regular 5G. I am in a town about 20 miles from Boston. I am buying an iPhone 12 mini next week when it’s available to order. Is it worth it for me to spend the extra $10 a month to get onto a higher level plan that includes the mmWave 5G service? Is it available in enough of a widespread area that I will even be able to use it? Is it that much faster than the regular 5G that I will get without going to the extra $10 plan? Thanks for the info in advance.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevatorguy View Post
    I am on a regular basic unlimited plan. The $35 starter one. I believe it includes regular 5G. I am in a town about 20 miles from Boston. I am buying an iPhone 12 mini next week when it’s available to order. Is it worth it for me to spend the extra $10 a month to get onto a higher level plan that includes the mmWave 5G service? Is it available in enough of a widespread area that I will even be able to use it? Is it that much faster than the regular 5G that I will get without going to the extra $10 plan? Thanks for the info in advance.
    My opinion, nope. Even where it is, you have to be in a select area, hold your phone just right to get it. Save your money for now.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk
    Iphone 4, haven't looked back..

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It depends how much you travel, how high of a value you place on always having a usable data connection, how much you like crisp streaming video, and whether you have or want Hulu, Disney+ (Mandalorian season two just came out!), and/or ESPN.

• If you travel often at all, it’s definitely worth it because UWB is already not-uncommon in densely-populated areas like downtown streets and airports.
    • UWB being present in those dense areas means you would maintain a usable data connection long after the sub-7 GHz network slows to a crawl from the congestion, which means your data service is more reliable.
    • Your current plan can only stream standard definition video if you aren’t using a VPN, which still makes a difference even on the smaller 12 mini screen because of how pixel-dense it is.
    • Play More Unlimited comes with Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN, which ALONE means that the plan upgrade would pay for itself if you actually use those services.

I’m switching to Play More Unlimited from the February 2017 UDP (The New Verizon Plan Unlimited) because I want Hulu
    and because I actually will be in UWB service areas often enough to care about it.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Is it faster? Yes, it's much faster, people's speed tests they're showing are like 10-20x the speed of a very good 4G speed test, and easy 50x the speed of a more normal 4G speed test.

Is it worth it? Well, do you go to Boston very much, and particularly the downtown area? Take a look at the coverage map; it's definitely going to expand, but you can always add the $10 when it actually expands to areas you go to. Even then, if the sub-7ghz 5G speeds are pretty good it may not be worth it, although I'd still be tempted to have it for a month to run speedtests...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Is it faster? Yes, it's much faster, people's speed tests they're showing are like 10-20x the speed of a very good 4G speed test, and easy 50x the speed of a more normal 4G speed test.

Is it worth it? Well, do you go to Boston very much, and particularly the downtown area? Take a look at the coverage map; it's definitely going to expand, but you can always add the $10 when it actually expands to areas you go to. Even then, if the sub-7ghz 5G speeds are pretty good it may not be worth it, although I'd still be tempted to have it for a month to run speedtests...
    On a smartphone how much speed do you need though? If you can get decent LTE speeds like 5 - 10 Mpbs down what’s wrong with that?

Home internet is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    On a smartphone how much speed do you need though? If you can get decent LTE speeds like 5 - 10 Mpbs down what’s wrong with that?

5G especially UWB is more about capacity than speed but that's not sexy enough to talk about.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You nailed it. I live on my phone a lot, 4G is doing just fine. I definitely would not pay extra for 5G, specially now. The fast 5G is very limited. Enjoy saving your money, 5G is nowhere close to being ready Nationwide. The fast 5G has a long ways to go, save your money.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    5G especially UWB is more about capacity than speed but that's not sexy enough to talk about.
    So you're saying the carriers basically want to increase their capacity and charge more for it. Either way, not worth paying extra for it IMO.

Edit...if we want to go down the conspiracy theory road, there's also other things 5G is for. Lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTsucks View Post
    So you're saying the carriers basically want to increase their capacity and charge more for it. Either way, not worth paying extra for it IMO.

Edit...if we want to go down the conspiracy theory road, there's also other things 5G is for. Lol
    Where do you get "charge more"? The fact is each 5G UWB node has more capacity than typical cell tower and that cell tower is goign to cover far many more people. Also 5G helps those that choose to stay on 4G. If you live an an area with the UWB network the more people that use that means fewer on the 4G network add in CBRS, LAA C-band etc and eventually can have better plans. Because the non UWB network is no longer constrained

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Where do you get "charge more"? The fact is each 5G UWB node has more capacity than typical cell tower and that cell tower is goign to cover far many more people. Also 5G helps those that choose to stay on 4G. If you live an an area with the UWB network the more people that use that means fewer on the 4G network add in CBRS, LAA C-band etc and eventually can have better plans. Because the non UWB network is no longer constrained
    There's never been any 4G issues with capacity for me ever. I can speak only for Verizon, they charge $10 month for it.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 4 XL, Apple iPhone SE (2020), Samsung Galaxy Tab S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevatorguy View Post
    You're closer to mmWave signal than I am, and I live a stone's throw away from Seattle, a city that I'm starting to doubt will ever get mmWave. I think it depends on your use case. If you frequent Boston enough to be in the areas where mmWave signal exists then it may be worth it to switch plans. Honestly though, mmWave shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether or not you switch plans. Even if you do see a mmWave signal, it won't be as ubiquitous as a sub-7 GHz or even an LTE signal will be. I would only upgrade plans if the other features of the upgraded plans work for you (higher deprioritization threshold, Hulu package, etc).

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for all of the replies

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTsucks View Post
    There's never been any 4G issues with capacity for me ever.
    Try using 1 TB of data your 4G hotspot on your phone at full speed. Try using something higher than 4 Mbps video without paying extra. if capacity is not an issue how come the best plans only allow for 50 GB of premium data?

I can speak only for Verizon, they charge $10 month for it.
    So on the new Play More, Do More and Get More plans as well as the old Play More, Do More and Get More plans they charge? Oh wait they don't. You're not getting mmwave on tiered data AT ALL for obvious reasons. They aren't allowing in the super old unlimited plans from 10 years ago because they want people of those plans. They don't allow it on the New Verizon Unlimited plans. However switching to the newer plans is the same or cheaper for the vast majority for customers and has more features. So yes for the small percentage on Go Unlimited and Start unlimited there is $10 per lien charge. But if you do that you might as well switch plans. And the type of person that is on Go or Start Unlimited is really not interested in mmwave 5G anyways

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteiKnight View Post
    You're closer to mmWave signal than I am, and I live a stone's throw away from Seattle, a city that I'm starting to doubt will ever get mmWave. .
    Where would you get that idea? No way a city that size doesn't get it. I'll bet by the end of 2021 Seattle will be a 5G UWB city

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Try using 1 TB of data your 4G hotspot on your phone at full speed. Try using something higher than 4 Mbps video without paying extra. if capacity is not an issue how come the best plans only allow for 50 GB of premium data?

So on the new Play More, Do More and Get More plans as well as the old Play More, Do More and Get More plans they charge? Oh wait they don't. You're not getting mmwave on tiered data AT ALL for obvious reasons. They aren't allowing in the super old unlimited plans from 10 years ago because they want people of those plans. They don't allow it on the New Verizon Unlimited plans. However switching to the newer plans is the same or cheaper for the vast majority for customers and has more features. So yes for the small percentage on Go Unlimited and Start unlimited there is $10 per lien charge. But if you do that you might as well switch plans. And the type of person that is on Go or Start Unlimited is really not interested in mmwave 5G anyways
    First... you're using a ton of data, thats on you, put the phone down and go outside, do something. Cell carriers have been limiting data speeds, or the possibility of limiting speeds after set amount because of people like you. My house internet with 5 people use around 1TB. Now I understand why you think 4G is slow. When 5G gets going full throttle the limits will come there also. They did the same when transitioning 3G to 4G. Same arguments were said, the early adapters are helping out the ones staying on 3G by freeing up capacity.

On pricing, you do realize it's just bundled in the price. I have I think unlimited beyond, the first unlimited with the 22 GB throttle deal..I have inquired on your said plans. $100 more a month...that's not free. That's why I said 5G isn't worth extra right now, the fast 5G is very limited. I'm not changing to a bundled plan And paying $100 more a month for fast 5G if I happen to be in the right spot. The fact is, the fast 5G is very limited, the rest of this is plan related and that is where the differences are. I've been with Verizon for 20 years...nothing is free with them.

So to edit my previous statements. 5G is not free, some plans there would be a monthly charge, some plans it's bundled in and appears to be free. It's better bundled in as you get some other perks with it. So check your plan, the cost is dependent on your current plan. I will stand by that the fast 5G is not readily available and if that's what you're looking at, be prepared that you have to be in select areas to get it, I would not change plans or pay one penny extra to get the fast 5G unless you frequent those select areas. That is my opinion, agree, disagree up to you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast