Thread: At&t iphone xr on verizon

Feedback Score

At&t iphone xr on verizon

I have a iphone xr from at&t (old company phone) that just ran up on its contract. I want to give it to one of my family members who has verizon. They currently have an iphone 8 plus and it has a microsim like the iphone xr takes. Can I just swap that sim over? Or do I have to do something special? Does the phone need to be unlocked or certain features don't work? Do I have to pay any activation fees? I still need to use the phone for another week so I want to be prepared when the time comes.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

At&t iphone xr on verizon

The phone needs to be unlocked (you can check that using any SIM from a non-AT&T carrier), and preferably they need to update the IMEI on Verizon’s site before using it. Otherwise, it should work just fine on Verizon, as that specific model (A1984) was also sold by Verizon.
    Verizon shouldn’t be charging any fees, and should be able to use the SIM already used on his/her current device.

Also since the phone will likely need restoring for use by the new owner, you will want to be available to provide login details to the device (or restore and start the setup as fresh before handing the device to the new owner). Apple tends to use an Activation Lock when a device is restored to thwart theft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Haas_Dave; 11-02-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added iOS Activation Lock details
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I suggest that you go to the Verizon internet page. Do a search for "bring my own phone" (BYOP). When you arrive on that section, it will ask for the iPhone IMEI. If you don't know it, dial *#06# on the iPhone XR. The phone will instantly display the IMEI. On the Verizon page, enter it. Should not be any compatibility problem but as previously stated, make sure it is unlocked from At&t. If not already unlocked At&t has a site to request an unlock at no charge if the device payment plan/contract has been fulfilled or to verify the phone's locked status @ https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

The new user should be able to switch the SIM and will keep the same phone # and plan. Shouldn't have to go to a store, call customer service or go online unless there are any problems with any features.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    How do I get at&t to unlock it? My company owns the account and I don’t have access to it. I just pay for the device and they take care of the monthly plan charges. Is this something I can do by myself?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The internet link in my reply explains the unlocking process and how to check the phone's current status.

Feedback Score
    Didn’t notice the link originally thanks. Is there a way to tell if my phone is locked? Just curious

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That page has a link to check if the phone is locked as well as a link to start the unlock process if needed.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Sprint (personal phone) / AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    Here's what you should need to do:

1) Request the Unlock from AT&T using the portal above. Within a day or so, you should get an email from AT&T that it is unlocked. The next time someone inserts a non-AT&T SIM, the phone will simply activate without protest (Apple locking is server based, in the cloud).

2) Turn off Find my iPhone --- this is in SETTINGS > click you name at the top, and select FIND MY. Click Find My iPhone at the top, and then turn it off. (These steps are for iOS 14.x -- if you are still on 13.x the steps may differ).

3) RESET the phone -- Goto SETTINGS > GENERAL > RESET, and then select ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS. This will factory reset the phone, and then it will be in out of the box condition. You should turn it off after it reboots and give it to them in this condition.

As also noted above, they can simply put their Verizon SIM in it and set it up and start using it. Verizon will automatically detect the new device and swap it on their account. They don't need to go to a store, don't need a new SIM, etc.

Device(s)
    Moto Z4 (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pc9460 View Post
    My company owns the account and I don’t have access to it.
    My employer does something similar, but is very clear, they are in complete control. Remove the phone, and it gets trigged as like it was reported stolen. Basically, since they are paying, they want to ensure there is always a phone active on that line.