Thread: Lowband 5G experiences

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Lowband 5G experiences

With the iPhone 12 being released and in peoples hands and Samsung phones having lowband 5G for a bit over a year, how are people's 5G experiences? Personally it seems slower than LTE everywhere I've tested. It can cut my throughput in half or even down to a third of what LTE is in the same spots. Anyone seeing much better speeds on 5G?

5G Minneapolis, MN‎ -------------------------------------------------------------‎ 5G+ ‎Minneapolis, MN
    2+n5+? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2+n261

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Could be, it depends on the RF conditions.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Lowband 5G experiences

Generally slower. I think the 5Ge typically aggregates 2/14/66/30 whereas 5G is looking like 2/n5/66/30 on this site.

In the boonies though it is nice to now have the option of three low band frequencies again. That may be where it helps since b5 was turned into n5.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Feedback Score
    I got my wife an iPhone 12. Where we live I wasn't sure if I'd see 5G or not when setting it up. After transferring everything from her old iPhone to her new one (which was super easy), it restarted and sure enough it shows 5G and not the 5Ge my iPhone 11 shows. I did a speed test because I was curious and it was the same speed I was getting on 5Ge, which was around 45 down and 3 up. That was the only test I did and gave her the phone. We live out in the burbs so I think that is probably normal, maybe the next time we venture towards the city I will do another test and see. But to be honest I could care less what G it is as long as it works.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    With the iPhone 12 being released and in peoples hands and Samsung phones having lowband 5G for a bit over a year, how are people's 5G experiences? Personally it seems slower than LTE everywhere I've tested. It can cut my throughput in half or even down to a third of what LTE is in the same spots. Anyone seeing much better speeds on 5G?
    On Verizon I see the same thing.

How is AT&T low band 5G compared to 4G-LTE in congestion or poor/ Low signal conditions. That’s where I saw the most benefit of low band 5G

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 mini, iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to be receiving my iPhone 12 mini this Friday. I'm hoping to venture out over the following weekend when I have time to do some speed tests. We are a market with no band 5 and based on what I've heard from others locally, there is no n2 lit up with DSS yet. I'm curious to see if 5G performs better in this environment where I'd expect no difference in CA combos: LTE would normally bond B2+B12+B30+B66 at best, usually just B2+B12 for me; while 5G NR should be able to do B12 NSA anchor + n2 + B30 + B66. So I'd expect to see roughly the same throughput, perhaps with n2 outperforming B2 since it's the same band, but with the benefit of 5G NR over LTE.

We do have mmWave nearby that I'm looking forward to trying out, as well. But I probably won't get a chance to do that until closer to Thanksgiving.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 mini, iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My initial experience has been so far no difference in throughput. I’m still getting about 35/2 when forcing 5G on and when forcing LTE (appears as 5Ge). I got up to 50 Mbps once. I can’t tell if n2 is live here, but I am getting the R15 upper layer indicator for 5G when 5G is enabled on the phone. I will admit I’m disappointed that even with the “latest and greatest” modem, LTE underperforms on AT&T’s network compared to Verizon around here. Especially on the upload side. If the X55 can’t achieve more than 50 Mbps down and 2-3 Mbps up, I have to believe there’s something wrong with the way the network is deployed around here.

The more noticeable difference I’m seeing is with signal strength. Areas where I basically had to use Wi-Fi Calling with a Qualcomm iPhone X don’t even engage Wi-Fi calling anymore (I’ve confirmed with airplane mode that it is working).