Thread: Initial experience with my iPhone 12 pro and 5G

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Initial experience with my iPhone 12 pro and 5G

Well itís been over a week and I figured I would share my experience and see if other people had similar experiences although I know every market is different

First off let me say a few things, Iím comparing my current experience to when I was using my iPhone XS Max. My market (Pittsburgh PA) has CBRS, mmWave, and low band ďNationwide 5GĒ. Latency also isnít an issue in my market, pings are often between 17 and 35 ms.

LTE - overall speeds are very fast and the CBRS deployment is helping congestion, there are very few areas where congestion is a issue anymore. When comparing Iím iPhone XS Max to the 12 in non CBRS areas the top speed isnít much different at all but the 12 does perform a little better in poor signal/cell edge conditions. In areas with CBRS deployed top end speeds are much higher on the 12 then compared to my XS Max. I have also noticed that in the downtown area my phone does stay on LTE a lot compared to 5G, I think this is due to the large amount of small cells deployed and Verizonís network is set up to prefer the small cells over the macro network. Although a lot of small cells are being upgraded with UWB as of now a lot are still LTE only.

MmWave or UWB - although in very small pockets speeds are insane. If Iím updating an app itís basically instantaneous where my phone goes from pending download to installing the app. I also set up my phone as a hotspot (from inside my office where the window faces a mmWave panel) to run a Microsoft TEAMS meeting in my iPad Pro and the audio and video quality was outstanding. The only other side note is anywhere I could get mmWave I could also likely get CBRS so I would have pretty good speed regardless. I still pick up mmWave fairly easily in a car even while moving.

Low band 5G - itís definitely slower in terms of raw speed in a lot of spots when compared to LTE. Spots where I was getting 200 Mbps on LTE Iím now getting 50 Mbps on 5G, however in congested spots where I was getting 2 Mbps Iím now getting 10-12 Mbps which has helped out a lot. if Im in a poor signal/cell edge situation I have noticed a pretty drastic improvement though. In one area I was often getting failed speed tests and the would average around 1-2 Mbps Iím now getting in the 30ís.

Overall impression- although I may loose some top end speed Iím definitely keeping 5G on. It provides me a much more consistent experience. I donít think I had a single 5G speed test under 10 Mbps. To me itís worth it to know Iím always going have good consistent speeds and take the little battery hit.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Congratulations on the new phone with 5g ! I suspect it will take Verizon many years to install any 5g in my area .

Feedback Score
    Pittsburgh is not an official mmwave 5G city yet. So any results of that there would be premature. A far as low band 5G it would be using band 5 and you can't aggregate yet with anything unlike LTE which you can. Once that changes then you should be increase in speeds though still modest

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Pittsburgh is not an official mmwave 5G city yet. So any results of that there would be premature. A far as low band 5G it would be using band 5 and you can't aggregate yet with anything unlike LTE which you can. Once that changes then you should be increase in speeds though still modest
    For not being an official city they sure do have a pretty good deployment going so far. I imagine Verizon will continue to develop Nationwide 5G over the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo