Thread: questions re. HSN 365day bundle (phone change, unlock, top-off)

Feedback Score

questions re. HSN 365day bundle (phone change, unlock, top-off)

My apologies if these have been answered elsewhere before -- I did a few searches but could not find much. Also my apologies for this being long.

So I have been in the process of moving some phones to tracfone from another provider.

I bought a 365day bundle from HSN and ported an old # ("#1") to that phone ("phone A") and activated on tracfone and all went well. But the person who uses phone A doe snot like it.

Now I want to buy another 365day bundle with a better phone ("phone B"). My objective is to use the service on another number ("#2") also to be ported to tracfone. #2 is currently on an unlocked, much better phone ("phone C") and I would prefer to keep it. But I also hope that I could replace phone A with phone B.

All 3 phones are Verizon compatible and I intend to use VZ service. Phone C has passed tracfone BYOP checker.

Here is my plan:
    [1] port #2 to phone B.
    [2] a week later, call tracfone and ask to have the sim/#2 moved from phone B to phone C.
    [3] a week later, call tracfone and ask to have the sim/#1 moved from phone A to phone B.

Can I do these? I am sure [1] would work, and I think [2] should also work if phone B is a "normal" tracfone phone, but since it came in a bundle, would the sim be stuck with it? And [3] is a step further along this direction -- can phone B (also from a bundle) be reused?

If either [2] or [3] is not possible, my better option would be to just acquire a BYOP sim kit for phone C.

If they do work, phone B and phone C will have tracfone service for about a year; near the end of that I would like to extend the service and unlock the phone(s). In that case,

[4] If I buy a 30day extension on phone B (#1), can I then get phone B unlocked? It would have been in service for more than a year, but with a different sim due to the phone change. Some posts seem to suggest a lock between the phone and the sim for this purpose.

[5] Alternatively, if I cannot unlock phone B this way, can I switch #1 back to phone A in week 51, then 2 weeks later get phone A unlocked (in this case, the phone has not been used for the entire 366 days, but the sim/number has)? Or similarly, can I get phone B unlocked by switching #2 back to phone B around the one year mark?

And finally, I have read that it is possible to "merge" 2 phones into one and get the credits combined (service time added). so

[6] Would it be permissible to do a merge that involves 1 or 2 bundled phone(s)?

THANKS for your advice!

Sean

Feedback Score
    First thanks for the paragraphs instead of an annoying wot.

Personally I would switch #1 to the desired phone first. Wait a couple & proceed with the other lines if possible.

From what I see here it's very easy for TF reps to get confused. Disclosure I never have used TF. But sure as heck read a lot about TF here at Hofo.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post

Personally I would switch #1 to the desired phone first. Wait a couple & proceed with the other lines if possible.
    I guess that depends on whether Sean wants the new phone's bundled minutes applied to line 1 or line 2.
    Tracfone rewards referral code NGUN-B7C5 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members.

Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Feedback Score
    Line #1 has been ported to phone A already (before phone B was available -- I was under a time restriction). So the new phone's minutes are for Line #2. As said I am hoping I could get #2 back to the current unlocked phone C, which would free up phone B; then move #1 to phone B.

I guess my confusion mainly arises from my readings that the bundled phones are somewhat "special" -- some hinted that the bundled minutes are associated with the IMEI i.e. the phone rather than the sim; if this is true, then switching phone would be a problem.

OTOH I have been reading posts here and elsewhere, and no one explicitly stated as such. So I am not sure if it was just misunderstanding or something in the grey area.

I have had a TF phone in the extended family for many years and have had a hassle-free experience; I have had phones upgraded and sims replaced fairly easily. But then the phones were all unlocked BYOP so I have no experience with TF locked devices.

Still hoping comments from gurus or TF agents. Thanks!

Sean

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snehne View Post
    I guess my confusion mainly arises from my readings that the bundled phones are somewhat "special" -- some hinted that the bundled minutes are associated with the IMEI i.e. the phone rather than the sim; if this is true, then switching phone would be a problem.

OTOH I have been reading posts here and elsewhere, and no one explicitly stated as such. So I am not sure if it was just misunderstanding or something in the grey area.
    Although the disclaimer by TF on units bundled with a phone is that they're "promotional" and cannot be transferred, in actuality once they have been redeemed to the phone in the bundle, those units could be transferred to another phone/SIM.

Feedback Score
    Update: I have completed [1] and [2] pretty smoothly. The only twist is that because phone C is a non-tracfone (BYOP) I could not reuse the sim that came with and activated in phone B; I had to get a $1 BYOP sim from bestbuy. After that there was no issue. So the bundle phone is only slightly "special" (which may be the same as any tracfone locked phone?).

Phone A is not around right now (user traveling) so I'll need to try [3] a bit later.

I am still interested in the answers to [4]-[6]. Elsewhere I read that a phone is unlockable only after 1 year on <b>monthly paid service</b> which if true would answer "no" to [4][5]. But I could not find any official statement regarding that.

Sean