Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Post Paid, prepaid, Visible, MVNO, where to go

Device(s)
    Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score

Post Paid, prepaid, Visible, MVNO, where to go

Right now I'm on Consumer Cellular with AT&T sims. I'm sort of between towers with sketchy coverage and while I also have a choice if T-Mobile, that's no coverage. I'm looking for better coverage, decent support if needed, staying relatively cheap, and I will be bringing my own phones. I don't need unlimited data, I presently have 3gb of shared data on 2 lines and that's been plenty. My wife never uses data and I don't stream using data.
    I've looked at Reach, Visible, and Verizon prepaid and Reach seems the cheapest of the lot followed by prepaid. I'm only concerned about coverage between all my options, especially when traveling. Will I be able to get Verizon store support with prepaid accounts, which would seem a plus over phone and chat with Reach. Other than that can I expect the same type service using something like Reach vs prepaid. I'm tired of the spotty coverage especially when I travel in the nearby mountains where I have no service versus friends with Verizon who almost always have service. I know Verizon is always going cost more than the other guys and you get what you pay for, but I am retired and trying to save money.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    https://www.redpocket.com/plans/family

1st line $30
    2nd line $20 starting on 2nd month
    UTT 8Gb
    Pick any carrier. Only 3GB on GSMT.

Or their eBay 360 day plans.
    UTT 7GB $240 any carrier except TM.
    eBay Item# 133058350672
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    I haven't heard about Reach Mobile, or if I have, it wasn't enough to remember anything.

I'd be careful about using Reach for both of your phone #s unless you can find a significant number of good reviews.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell1 View Post
    Right now I'm on Consumer Cellular with AT&T sims. I'm sort of between towers with sketchy coverage and while I also have a choice if T-Mobile, that's no coverage. I'm looking for better coverage, decent support if needed, staying relatively cheap, and I will be bringing my own phones. I don't need unlimited data, I presently have 3gb of shared data on 2 lines and that's been plenty. My wife never uses data and I don't stream using data.
    I've looked at Reach, Visible, and Verizon prepaid and Reach seems the cheapest of the lot followed by prepaid. I'm only concerned about coverage between all my options, especially when traveling. Will I be able to get Verizon store support with prepaid accounts, which would seem a plus over phone and chat with Reach. Other than that can I expect the same type service using something like Reach vs prepaid. I'm tired of the spotty coverage especially when I travel in the nearby mountains where I have no service versus friends with Verizon who almost always have service. I know Verizon is always going cost more than the other guys and you get what you pay for, but I am retired and trying to save money.
    Thanks
    Check prepaidcompare.net for what is available. You can screen for carrier, data needed, etc.

If you find some interesting you can ask here about customer support. Many are awful, but most of us only very rarely need customer support after starting.

Device(s)
    Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone, I'll compare my options.

Feedback Score
    You are also looking for support. Visible support is as bad as it gets. Red Pocket support while better is very sub par. Verizon Prepaid cost more but they have good support. Most Verizon MVNO's don't support WIFI Calling. Verizon prepaid and Visible do. Visible can be more difficult with compatible supported phones.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    Verizon Prepaid cost more but they have good support.
    Actually, Verizon prepaid can be pretty competitive if their few plans match your needs and you factor in loyalty and auto-pay discounts.

I have the ($40) UTT with 5 GB of data with hotspot plan for $25/month (after loyalty and auto-pay discounts). And because I only buy refill cards from Target when they have their 10% off sale (plus 5% Redcard discount) my effective cost is less than $22/month. And since I fill my account balance with refill cards I have no fees, taxes, or service charges of any kind to pay ever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    Actually, Verizon prepaid can be pretty competitive if their few plans match your needs and you factor in loyalty and auto-pay discounts.
    100% agree. Also, unless they stopped the new plans offer discussed in another thread, that same plan (or close in price) was coming with UTT and 15GB data with HS. IMHO people spend to much time and hassle playing with MVNOs trying to save 30-50 cents a day; which is ok if you're on a very very limited income, don't need a UTT plan, or for a glove box phone.

Device(s)
    Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Actually I'm leaning towards prepaid. I can get friends and family or a military discount but looking at the discounts it looks like I'd still be paying more for postpaid. Unless I'm figuring the discounts wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post

I have the ($40) UTT with 5 GB of data with hotspot plan for $25/month (after loyalty and auto-pay discounts). And because I only buy refill cards from Target when they have their 10% off sale (plus 5% Redcard discount) my effective cost is less than $22/month. And since I fill my account balance with refill cards I have no fees, taxes, or service charges of any kind to pay ever.
    Couldn’t agree more with it. The loyalty discount and others definitely makes the plan well worth it. I wish I knew they were going to do loyalty discounts before hand so I could have gotten the highest discount already lol. But this is ok also

The unlimited plan also makes this cheaper too!

Device(s)
    Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    OK, one more question. If I order the sims online it says I'll avoid the activation fee. They also want the numbers I'll be porting and the $80 at order time for the two sim cards along with the phone numbers I'll be keeping. They won't start porting these numbers before I get the new sim cards will they? I don't want to lose service while I'm waiting on the new sim cards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell1 View Post
    OK, one more question. If I order the sims online it says I'll avoid the activation fee. They also want the numbers I'll be porting and the $80 at order time for the two sim cards along with the phone numbers I'll be keeping. They won't start porting these numbers before I get the new sim cards will they? I don't want to lose service while I'm waiting on the new sim cards.
    Can't you just go to a local big box store like BestBuy and get Verizon Prepaid sims? $10 I think. I think even allot of small stores carry them. $80 is nuts and I don't see why they need your phone numbers before you're ready to activate.

Device(s)
    Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Can't you just go to a local big box store like BestBuy and get Verizon Prepaid sims? $10 I think. I think even allot of small stores carry them. $80 is nuts and I don't see why they need your phone numbers before you're ready to activate.
    My Pixel 5 phone takes a 5g card that's different than the sim sold in the stores. It needs a
    GTO 4G 5G Interim DFILL SIM and the GTO Multi-Form-Factor SIM DF is what's sold in the store.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Can’t you just go into a Verizon store and get a SIM card for free?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icdvtrvt View Post
    Can’t you just go into a Verizon store and get a SIM card for free?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    LOL, I tried that and they won't give them away, at least in the one I went to. I went ahead, paid them the $35 activation fee and had them port the number. Even though everything says nationwide 5g with prepaid, 3 employees in the store said prepaid didn't get 5g and so he just put in the regular sim, not the one they were going to ship online.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast