Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Tmobile agrees to tone down misleading 5G claims.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Posts
    5,797
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0

    Tmobile agrees to tone down misleading 5G claims.

    https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/11/05/t-mobile-agrees-to-tone-down-misleading-5g-claims/?_gl=1*1v7iaf0*_ga*SW1DU3VGaGVvTTR4bFY2S2N6bkRXeml SUGJlSVdUcW1jVkhJWHRlcmo5OEFiT0dubHBFMDNlMmhwV0xPM FZ3ZQ..


    Yesterday, the FCC announced that T-Mobile would have to pay $200 million in civil penalties. The cellular carrier's bad week isn't stopping yet, though — the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau (NAD) has examined some of T-Mobile's claims about having the "best 5G network" and found that they are potentially misleading to customers.

    Regulating marketing can be tough because of course every company is going to put its best foot forward in its own advertising. However, NAD has found that many of T-Mobile's 5G claims surrounding its merger with Sprint are downright false. Specifically, NAD took issue with T-Mobile saying things like "the best 5G network," "highest capacity in history," and "most reliable network."


    Furthermore, the group said that T-Mobile's ads depicting "magenta and yellow beams rapidly shooting from tower to tower, speeding through server rooms across cities and over vast landscapes" are misleading to the average Joe, and that messages touting the imminent benefits of the merger are unsupported.

    This is yet another instance of a carrier going a bit too far when it comes to lying about 5G. At least this time, to its credit, T-Mobile said it "supports the self-regulatory process" and will accept the recommendations to cut back on claims that might make consumers think that T-Mobile's 5G network is indisputably the best right now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    325
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yet no-one has "the best" 5G right now and T-Mo is also dealing with the messy process of migrating networks. I think it's correct to at least show both brands networks working together, just not to the level it's currently being shown.
    Drako Swiftclaw

    Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,136
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    ...Yesterday, the FCC announced that T-Mobile would have to pay $200 million in civil penalties. The cellular carrier's bad week isn't stopping yet, though — the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau (NAD) has examined some of T-Mobile's claims about having the "best 5G network" and found that they are potentially misleading to customers....
    Just to be clear, The $200 Mil fine is completely unrelated to the questionable advertising claims.

    The fine is something they inherited from Sprint's previous fraud on the Lifeline* program. They were collecting the Lifeline payments from the govt. for lines (lots of them) that were ineligible for the Lifeline program. Part of the eligibility for continuing Lifeline service is that the user has to actually use the service, like monthly.

    T-Mo certainly knew about the Sprint liability going into the deal. T-Mo release third quarter results last Thursday. They are doing fine. $200 Mil is borderline chump-change when they are making billions in profit in spite of the fine.

    *Lifeline is the official name of what some have taken to calling Obama phones.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,607
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    .....*Lifeline is the official name of what some have taken to calling Obama phones.
    The program actually began under the Reagan administration but it mostly applied to landline phones.
    Donald Newcomb

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,136
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    The program actually began under the Reagan administration but it mostly applied to landline phones.
    Yeah, I didn't go into the full history. IIRC, it was actually during the GW Bush administration that it got expanded to cellphones. Y'all be sure to thank GWB for your Obama phones.

    If you have a phone bill that lists Universal Service Fund, that is what pays for Lifeline.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    325
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    In T-Mo's defense, they do currently have the largest 5G network. As to how reliable it is, or how much faster it is compared to LTE remains an issue. However, this is taking into consideration that if one were to look at actual coverage numbers for overall coverage (how much of the pop. a network may reach) they "should" be on par with Verizon now, which ironically is lower than AT&T.

    Though with both AT&T and Verizon now deploying some version of low band 5G, it's only a matter of time before they are all "comparable" again.

    (When I refer to comparable, I mean they cover the same number of people in accordance to the numbers. As to exactly where that coverage sits still may vary from market to market between all three carriers. There will always be areas where one works better than the other. For me, Verizon is unusable in my Apartment BLDG in Seattle, as confirmed by my upstairs neighbor. However, T-Mo's "extended range" works rather well - even if it is only 3 bars. Sprint's old 850Mhz (B26) used to give me one bar, and usually only 3G/1xRTT)
    Last edited by jmac32here; 11-08-2020 at 04:16 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,113
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    In T-Mo's defense, they do currently have the largest 5G network. As to how reliable it is, or how much faster it is compared to LTE remains an issue. However, this is taking into consideration that if one were to look at actual coverage numbers for overall coverage (how much of the pop. a network may reach) they "should" be on par with Verizon now, which ironically is lower than AT&T.

    Though with both AT&T and Verizon now deploying some version of low band 5G, it's only a matter of time before they are all "comparable" again.

    (When I refer to comparable, I mean they cover the same number of people in accordance to the numbers. As to exactly where that coverage sits still may vary from market to market between all three carriers. There will always be areas where one works better than the other. For me, Verizon is unusable in my Apartment BLDG in Seattle, as confirmed by my upstairs neighbor. However, T-Mo's "extended range" works rather well - even if it is only 3 bars. Sprint's old 850Mhz (B26) used to give me one bar, and usually only 3G/1xRTT)
    Thanks to the bulk of it being on 600MHz, in areas it's "well deployed", it would.. by the laws of physics have to be "more reliable" due to it's on a chunk larger than 5MHz in most cases (compared to LTE B71), and has further range than PCS/AWS/B41

    So they're not "entirely" wrong.. just using fuzzy math to sell it.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Berkeley and Miami
    Posts
    4,836
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    0
    How will 5G benefit the 95% of users that simply text and call (and take pictures)?
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,113
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    How will 5G benefit the 95% of users that simply text and call (and take pictures)?
    It's certainly less than 95%.. and I do recall a time when the same question was asked about LTE, if the network is there.... the technology evolves to take advantage of it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,607
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    It's certainly less than 95%.. and I do recall a time when the same question was asked about LTE, if the network is there.... the technology evolves to take advantage of it.
    I can attest to this. Back in the day (ca 2009), when I had a Nokia Symbian "smart phone" and my wife had a dumb Nokia "candy bar", she told me she wanted a "cool phone" like her friends had. I told her that she'd never use the features of a smart phone but she persisted. We got her a HTC Hero with Android 1 and did she ever prove me wrong. She had all sorts of apps installed and used them regularly. I'd almost say the numbers are reversed. More like 95% of users make at least some use of data (if only to check the weather) and only 5% only call and text.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    325
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I can attest to this. Back in the day (ca 2009), when I had a Nokia Symbian "smart phone" and my wife had a dumb Nokia "candy bar", she told me she wanted a "cool phone" like her friends had. I told her that she'd never use the features of a smart phone but she persisted. We got her a HTC Hero with Android 1 and did she ever prove me wrong. She had all sorts of apps installed and used them regularly. I'd almost say the numbers are reversed. More like 95% of users make at least some use of data (if only to check the weather) and only 5% only call and text.
    Even I can attest to that. I was the sole holdout of a dumb phone for the longest time. Never used it to talk much even, but I'd sometimes TXT.
    Now I have a smart phone and it gets used to check all sorts of things, though usually messages on Telegram, Twitter, and the weather. So while I don't use much data typically, I do use some.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,031
    Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    How will 5G benefit the 95% of users that simply text and call (and take pictures)?
    I think the only demographic left where talk/text/photos-only is 95% of users is perhaps uses older than 95 years old!



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,231
    Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I think the only demographic left where talk/text/photos-only is 95% of users is perhaps uses older than 95 years old!



    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    You'd be surprised how well they can use an iPad! Especially now more than ever.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,113
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    You'd be surprised how well they can use an iPad! Especially now more than ever.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I mean my grandma is 94 and uses a 8+ just fine, and uses ~10-15GB/mo because she only does email and some basic web browsing - I showed her how to plug in with USB tethering on her iMac, and cut her $65/mo cable ISP she was barely using.

    She even learned how to FaceTime during the pandemic, and uses with my nieces and nephews almost every day.

    I was amazed at how fast she picked it all up, but she works it well.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,659
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    In T-Mo's defense, they do currently have the largest 5G network.
    When people think "5G" they think superfast network with ultra low latency which you're only getting with mmwave. they are not thinking "Oh gee my speeds went from 25 Mbps to 30 Mbps. This $1000 phone upgrade was so worth it." So when it comes to the 5G people are actually thinking about then no T-Mobile doesn't have the best 5G network. And I can tell you that the condition that T-Mobile has to cover 90% of the US in 5G by 2026, low band only isn't going to count.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-19-2020, 02:44 PM
  2. Simple Mobile , Tracfone Tmobile mvno to get 5G nationwide.
    By Ike D. in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-08-2019, 09:54 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-24-2016, 06:23 PM
  4. DT and Tmobile agrees to buy sprint for $35 billion
    By terryjohnson16 in forum Tmo Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
  5. DT and Tmobile agrees to buy sprint for $35 billion
    By terryjohnson16 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 12:10 AM

Bookmarks