Thread: Using phone in Mexico on WiFi without TravelPass?

Feedback Score

Using phone in Mexico on WiFi without TravelPass?

My wife has in iPhone 8 running on Verizon Prepaid. We are traveling to a resort in Mexico. If we only want to use her phone through WiFi, do we need TravelPass and will we incur charges? I tried asking Verizon but all he kept saying was we need to activate TravelPass. I think there may have been a language barrier. We don't want to pay for TravelPass, and I thought TravelPass was only necessary for *cellular* service - not WiFi. But maybe that is different for Verizon Prepaid? Please verify.

If I am correct that we can use the phone on WiFi, what settings do I need to change on the phone? I think I'm supposed to turn "Airplane Mode" ON, then toggle WiFi back to ON, and then toggle "Cellular Data" to OFF just to be safe.

And once the phone is running on WiFi only, she will still be able to send texts and make calls over WiFi (assuming "WiFi Calling" is enabled on her phone, which it should be).

If anyone cam verify all this, I'd really appreciate it. Surprisingly difficult to get a straight answer from Verizon PP. Thanks!

Oh and by the way, my son has a 6S also running on Verizon PP. Does all of the above apply to his phone, too?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As you stated, turn the phone on "Airplane mode" and manually turn on Wifi in the phone settings. You are correct in your assumption. Since you are using an iPhone, you can send/rcv text or picture messages on Wifi using iMessaging. I think your son's prepaid phone won't have any difficulty doing the same.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 11-09-2020 at 03:08 PM.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Wonderful. Thank you for the quick reply!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmirak View Post
    My wife has in iPhone 8 running on Verizon Prepaid. We are traveling to a resort in Mexico. If we only want to use her phone through WiFi, do we need TravelPass and will we incur charges? I tried asking Verizon but all he kept saying was we need to activate TravelPass. I think there may have been a language barrier. We don't want to pay for TravelPass, and I thought TravelPass was only necessary for *cellular* service - not WiFi. But maybe that is different for Verizon Prepaid? Please verify. If I am correct that we can use the phone on WiFi, what settings do I need to change on the phone? I think I'm supposed to turn "Airplane Mode" ON, then toggle WiFi back to ON, and then toggle "Cellular Data" to OFF just to be safe. And once the phone is running on WiFi only, she will still be able to send texts and make calls over WiFi (assuming "WiFi Calling" is enabled on her phone, which it should be). If anyone cam verify all this, I'd really appreciate it. Surprisingly difficult to get a straight answer from Verizon PP. Thanks! Oh and by the way, my son has a 6S also running on Verizon PP. Does all of the above apply to his phone, too?
    according to this - https://community.verizonwireless.co...co/td-p/979064 you just need to turn airplane mode on and connect to WIFI and you shouldn't need to worry about additional charges.