Thread: Thinking of moving to Spectrum Mobile - Welcome opinions

Feedback Score

Thinking of moving to Spectrum Mobile - Welcome opinions

Hello,
    I am on the PagePlus using an iphone7 and am thinking about moving to Spectrum Mobile’s $14 plan. I have Spectrum’s 50 Mbps Internet only, and can add on their mobile service. The reason I have PagePlus is that I live in a rural area where Verizon is the only reliable cell phone service. I also need roaming capabilities as the phone occasionally needs to roam. My data usage is minimal as I’m on WIFI except when traveling, and I use about 1,000 minutes of talk a month (increased due to COVID-19 – I used to get by on the $80 a year pay as you go). I have a $50 cash balance (expires in March) and recently have been renewing my $12 plan early. My thought was to cancel my $12 plan, use up most of my cash balance, and port my number over to Spectrum.

These are my assumptions:
    • With the 1GB Spectrum plan I will have unlimited talk/text and 1GB data – more than enough
    • I can use my iphone7
    • I will use WIFI calling when I am home and will probably have better reception than the Verizon voice I currently have with PagePlus
    • During a power/cable outage I can still place calls
    • If roaming is not available and I do not have internet, I may not be able to place or receive calls (I do have a seldom used PagePlus phone in the car that is available in an emergency)

Does anyone know how long it would take to port a number to Spectrum or see any downsides to my plan?

Feedback Score
    I envy you. You live in a rural area and have cable internet. I live in a rural but populated area and no cable providers. Century Link even stopped offering DSL. I'm on the edge of Verizon service. Since VoLTE my call quality has improved, and wireless is currently my only viable internet option.

Your plan sounds good to me. Port shouldn't be a problem since Spectrum and PP are Vzw, but people have had hiccups. You'll need to find out what PP uses for an account number and your security pin since Spectrum will need that info for the port. That's usually the hang up between any carrier.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I envy you. You live in a rural area and have cable internet. I live in a rural but populated area and no cable providers. Century Link even stopped offering DSL. I'm on the edge of Verizon service. Since VoLTE my call quality has improved, and wireless is currently my only viable internet option.

Your plan sounds good to me. Port shouldn't be a problem since Spectrum and PP are Vzw, but people have had hiccups. You'll need to find out what PP uses for an account number and your security pin since Spectrum will need that info for the port. That's usually the hang up between any carrier.
    I know this is getting off topic. Did you find out why CenturyLink does not provide DSL to you?

I have CenturyLink, and I am still on ADSL2+ in my town.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I know this is getting off topic. Did you find out why CenturyLink does not provide DSL to you?

I have CenturyLink, and I am still on ADSL2+ in my town.
    Has to do with my type of wire. I don't know the different types of DSL or phone wire. I think had something to do with how far the point is that fiber comes to from my area. Like I'm maybe 5 miles from that point. I do know that the best speed it would do is 1.5mbs.
    I had DSL for years but was using Earthlink as the ISP instead of Century. Earthlink stopped their service in my area (I think they just want to use fiber infrastructure). I contacted Century to change them to my ISP and they said they're not doing new accounts in my area; even though they were always providing the infrastructure Earthlink used. A Century repair guy I once talked to told me never give up my DSL line because there's a moratorium on new customers. Of course I didn't give up my line, Earthlink did. But Earthlink was assumed the customer, not me.
    If I would have always had Century as my ISP, and didn't give it up myself since I would have been the customer, I'd still have it. But still anyone new can't get it in the area.
    I've been using a Verizon Prepaid HotSpot and it's been working great so far, and certainly faster.