Thread: Will a phone SIM work in a tablet?

Feedback Score

Will a phone SIM work in a tablet?

Just ordered a no-brand Chinese tablet. I'll be fine using it purely over Wifi, but I have 3 lines on the Cricket Core plan and can add another line for just $10 a month more than the $90 a month I'm paying now. I *could* get a data-only SIM for it with tiered data, but I'm curious if anyone knows if a SIM intended for a smartphone will work in a tablet on Cricket in 2020.

Feedback Score
    it should, although you may have to set the apn settings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Just ordered a no-brand Chinese tablet. I'll be fine using it purely over Wifi, but I have 3 lines on the Cricket Core plan and can add another line for just $10 a month more than the $90 a month I'm paying now. I *could* get a data-only SIM for it with tiered data, but I'm curious if anyone knows if a SIM intended for a smartphone will work in a tablet on Cricket in 2020.
    A generic Chinese tablet most likely will be short on US bands to really work as it should.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    A generic Chinese tablet most likely will be short on US bands to really work as it should.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app
    The one I ordered indicates WCDMA, which is the older standard for HSPA.

I guess I'll just take the SIM out of my current phone and try it once if arrives.

Sent from my moto g power using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is the tablet cellular or will you use it on your home Wifi ?? Wifi alone will not require a SIM card or a cellular data plan, even if it has a SIM slot.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Is the tablet cellular or will you use it on your home Wifi ?? Wifi alone will not require a SIM card or a cellular data plan, even if it has a SIM slot.
    I know. I just wondered if Cricket had any way to detect whether I was using a phone or tablet. I'll pay $10 a month for unlimited data on a tablet even if I won't use it much outside the home.

Feedback Score
    Got the tablet today. Looks like it takes a full-size SIM card, which is weird in today's world. I got another SIM I had laying around and finnaggled my Cricket SIM into it. Once in, it detected my Cricket SIM as an AT&T SIM, but it showed no service under the mobile networks settings. Manually added the Cricket APN, and it still didn't do anything.

Oh well, no big deal. It probably just doesn't the correct radios for this hemisphere. It'll be used on Wifi.

Feedback Score
    Got the tablet today. Looks like it takes a full-size SIM card, which is weird in today's world. I got another SIM I had laying around and finnaggled my Cricket SIM into it. Once in, it detected my Cricket SIM as an AT&T SIM, but it showed no service under the mobile networks settings. Manually added the Cricket APN, and it still didn't do anything.

Oh well, no big deal. It probably just doesn't the correct radios for this hemisphere. It'll be used on Wifi.
    did you have cellular data turned on ??

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    did you have cellular data turned on ??
    If it lacks the compatible cellular frequencies that wouldn't help. I suspect that is the issue just like the OP mentioned in the prior post.

Feedback Score
    I know. I just wondered if Cricket had any way to detect whether I was using a phone or tablet. I'll pay $10 a month for unlimited data on a tablet even if I won't use it much outside the home.
    I'm sure that they (or at least AT&T) can detect that the IMEI is different. The real question is do they care now or in the future. i.e., how long will you get away with it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
    I'm sure that they (or at least AT&T) can detect that the IMEI is different. The real question is do they care now or in the future. i.e., how long will you get away with it.
    Yes, they can tell. Everytime the device connects to the cellular network the IMEI is automatically broadcast to the billing system.

Whether they care or not is the only thing in question.

Feedback Score
    I ordered the tablet off Wish. While the specs listed on Wish said it had "3G 1900 and 3G 850," which AT&T should still be broadcasting for at least another year, the tablet didn't pick up any signal. So I would advise anyone looking for a tablet to use on cellular steer clear from the ones on Wish unless they're absolutely certain the particular model they're ordering will work.