Thread: Insert Active TracFone Sim into Straighttalk Handset?

Feedback Score

Insert Active TracFone Sim into Straighttalk Handset?

Will an active sim card original to a TracFone branded handset work immediately in an unactivated Straighttalk branded handset?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You can do that. The only issue is if you ever call support. They have the SIM and IMEI linked in their system.

You have better luck with rebranding unless there is a reason for keeping the other SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    You can do that.
    Good to know that an unactivated Straighttalk phone will function with an active TracFone sim. I wanted to make sure that that ST phones aren't "locked" to ST in a way that prevents them from functioning with a TF sim.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you want to know, all of Tracfone branded will work on any of the Tracfone's other brands, and it is the same for the other way around.

If you did not know this, Tracfone owns a good number of brands under them.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone (VZ) with Airalo esim for data with Google Voice phone number
    Feedback Score
    Another question.

Will an active Tracfone BYOD SIM work in a Straight Talk or Total Wireless iPhone without involving customer service? Specifically a Tracfone Verizon SIM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    If you want to know, all of Tracfone branded will work on any of the Tracfone's other brands, and it is the same for the other way around.

If you did not know this, Tracfone owns a good number of brands under them.
    I was aware of the common ownership, but I wasn't sure if an active TF sim would work in any branded handset (ST, TF, or other) without having rebranded the handset to the brand of the sim card.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by telephonic View Post
    I was aware of the common ownership, but I wasn't sure if an active TF sim would work in any branded handset (ST, TF, or other) without having rebranded the handset to the brand of the sim card.
    I'm glad you asked the question.

Also, it has been mentioned that the sims are basically the same sim anyway. So the handsets must not be that different except that the IMEIs are discriminated for some reason. Perhaps TF prices them based on the different profit expectations and doesn't want anyone to get a bargain phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prof68 View Post
    Will an active Tracfone BYOD SIM work in a Straight Talk or Total Wireless iPhone without involving customer service? Specifically a Tracfone Verizon SIM?
    That's a good question too. Thoughts anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Also, it has been mentioned that the sims are basically the same sim anyway. So the handsets must not be that different except that the IMEIs are discriminated for some reason.
    Yes, seems that's the case.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prof68 View Post
    I have a Simple Mobile Moto E5 bought in Dec 2018. It's a "DL" model which has both GSM and CDMA freqs/bands. I've used it with TF/AT&T BYOP SIM and TF/Verizon BYOP SIM. Should be the same case with Straight Talk and Total Wireless phones as long as they have the proper freqs/bands.

Carrier(s)
    Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    I have an active TF sim on CDMA. Can I pop this into the ST iphone SE and it will work? Do I have to reset the APN? I am thinking about buying the Walmart blackfriday iphone SE if this will work.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skitty View Post
    I have an active TF sim on CDMA. Can I pop this into the ST iphone SE and it will work? Do I have to reset the APN? I am thinking about buying the Walmart blackfriday iphone SE if this will work.
    I was using a ST iphone 6s with a TF sim for a while, no problem. The correct APN got loaded automagicly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skitty View Post
    When I do the reverse (iPhone SIM in Android) it breaks Visual Voicemail. The message that gets sent to the phone to tell it you got a voice mail is platform dependent.
    Tracfone rewards referral code XCSS-C824 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members.
    (fixed error in code 11-21-2020)
    Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Device(s)
    Nokia 1520
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by telephonic View Post
    How do you "rebrand the handset to the brand of the sim card"? I also want to use a Tracfone Verizon sim on a new iPhone SE 2020 from ST or Total Wireless. Tracfone is charging $350 for their model.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rderoamer View Post
    How do you "rebrand the handset to the brand of the sim card"? I also want to use a Tracfone Verizon sim on a new iPhone SE 2020 from ST or Total Wireless. Tracfone is charging $350 for their model.
    It's not a difficult thing. Just contact a TF rep (by chat or phone) and tell the rep you want to activate the phone with TF service (regardless of its original brand within the TF family).