Thread: Cable Connection Btwn Samsung J3 Orbit & Laptop?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J3 Orbit
    Carrier(s)
    GSM, VoLTE
    Feedback Score

Cable Connection Btwn Samsung J3 Orbit & Laptop?

I'm trying to connect my laptop (HP Spectre x360 Convertible 360 from 2016, Win10) but using a USB cable but nothing I read about connecting is working. There is nothing under the USB settings that allows tethering and no other "solutions" I researched work either. All I'm left with I figure is that Tracfone had modified the phone in their own way as to eliminate this ability. The phone is fairly new. Manufactured Sep. 2019, I bought it from Tracfone late September this year. I have a cable plugged into the power port of the phone and the other into the USB port. I suppose it could be the cable but the cable works in a wall plug to power a set of headphones.

Is anyone getting a Galaxy J3 Orbit able to transfer files to/from a computer? I even tried connecting Blutooth but that isn't working - the phone says it can't make the connection but the laptop says it is paired to the phone!

John

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ionchase View Post
    I'm trying to connect my laptop (HP Spectre x360 Convertible 360 from 2016, Win10) but using a USB cable but nothing I read about connecting is working. There is nothing under the USB settings that allows tethering and no other "solutions" I researched work either. All I'm left with I figure is that Tracfone had modified the phone in their own way as to eliminate this ability. The phone is fairly new. Manufactured Sep. 2019, I bought it from Tracfone late September this year. I have a cable plugged into the power port of the phone and the other into the USB port. I suppose it could be the cable but the cable works in a wall plug to power a set of headphones.

Is anyone getting a Galaxy J3 Orbit able to transfer files to/from a computer? I even tried connecting Blutooth but that isn't working - the phone says it can't make the connection but the laptop says it is paired to the phone!

John
    First prove that you have a data capable USB cable - not all are. When you plug the cable between the phone and the notebook does the notebook show the phone storage?

With a data capable cable do you see Hotspot and USB Tethering settings in the phone network settings? If they are not there then TF has hobbled the phone. They do not hobble all of their phones. My TF branded Moto E5 works fine.

Technically, hotspotting or tethering of TF data is not allowed by the TOS, but people do it. I have only done small amounts to test the capability.

On the Win10 notebook side it is real easy. If the phone is operating in USB tether mode, the Win10 will just use it. You don't have to do anything else on the notebook. You can even share it out through the notebook Wifi.

TF data at $10/GB is not a prime prospect for hotspot/tether of much data, but if you just need a few MB for email or other light uses, why not?

Feedback Score
    Regarding Bluetooth, you probably have to right-click on the tray icon and select something. Win10 is a Bluetooth pain.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J3 Orbit
    Carrier(s)
    GSM, VoLTE
    Feedback Score
    Yep, it was the cable! Reading that I should use the cable that came with the phone, which I wasn't doing, i grabbed that cable for the connection and then it all came together. The phone icon showed up in Windows Explorer. I had seen the Hotspot and Tethering page in the phone's settings but the fine print mentioned sharing an internet connection and I don't want that and have no need for it, so I don't have tethering on. But with the right cable I now see the file and folder structure of the phone, so I'm good to go. Thanks to both for your input.
    John

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Yep, it was the cable! Reading that I should use the cable that came with the phone, which I wasn't doing, i grabbed that cable for the connection and then it all came together.
    FWIW, you don't have to use the cable that comes with the phone. Any cable with all 4 pins wired will do. Those cables are usually "fatter" and have a round cross-section. The cables that have only 2 pins wired (only good for charging) are thinner and usually have a "figure-8" (two visible wires) or "oval track" cross-section.

Feedback Score
    But with the right cable I now see the file and folder structure of the phone, so I'm good to go.
    In some phones you have to set the USB mode after connecting the cable. My phone defaults to "charge only", and has to be set to transfer data files. If in "charge only" you will see the phone in Windows File Explorer, but nothing in the folder. Not sure if this come to play in USB tethering, as I always use hotspot which is WiFi.

Name:  Screenshot_20201112-150941.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  25.0 KB

Device(s)
    Galaxy J3 Orbit
    Carrier(s)
    GSM, VoLTE
    Feedback Score
    The Galaxy J3 Orbit has no USB options dealing with file transfers though. Just sharing Internet. In my case the USB cable I was initially using could be used to charge the phone but wasn't functional for data transfers. It was a cable that came with a Blutooth headset used to charge. But the cable that came with the Orbit had the same connections as the Blutooth headset cable and it worked immediately. I guess you have to use the cable to tell if it works or not.

Feedback Score
    If you have a non-data usb cable, it's great for travel because it's safe to plug in public USB ports without risk of anything but charge power going through it.
    Tracfone rewards referral code NGUN-B7C5 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members.

Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Feedback Score
    In my case the USB cable I was initially using could be used to charge the phone but wasn't functional for data transfers. It was a cable that came with a Blutooth headset used to charge.
    A charging only USB cable is odd these days. Even cheap generic cables have the data connections. My Moto Bluetooth headset charger does not have a removable USB cable. I never use that, and just use a standard cable off of some other USB source.