Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hotspot? Moto G Power (unlocked) with Tracfone Verizon SIM

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Moto G7 Power, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Visible
    Feedback Score

hotspot? Moto G Power (unlocked) with Tracfone Verizon SIM

Does anyone here have an unlocked moto g power with a tracfone verizon sim in it? And if so, does hotspot work for you? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YaWho View Post
    Does anyone here have an unlocked moto g power with a tracfone verizon sim in it? And if so, does hotspot work for you? Thanks
    Until someone with a G Power can chime in, I can say that hotspot works with TF Verizon SIMs in my TF branded Moto E5 and generic Moto G6. Chances are good that the G Power will work.

FWIW, technically hotspotting with TF service is not allowed by policy, even if the phone allows it. Do I care what TF policy is? Not much.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Until someone with a G Power can chime in, I can say that hotspot works with TF Verizon SIMs in my TF branded Moto E5 and generic Moto G6. Chances are good that the G Power will work.

FWIW, technically hotspotting with TF service is not allowed by policy, even if the phone allows it. Do I care what TF policy is? Not much.
    I have a TF branded moto e5 and hotspot works fine.
    I have a TF branded moto g power (2020) and hotspot does not work. I get the following messages when I try to turn it on:

Checking subscription status please wait
    Your order could not be processed
    Your plan does not support mobile tethering

Then it turns off automatically.

Feedback Score
    https://slickdeals.net/f/14484350-tr...#post142201193

Somebody else reported your problem in a different blog. It's on the last page of the thread, page 21. Hope I linked it properly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post

Somebody else reported your problem in a different blog. It's on the last page of the thread, page 21. Hope I linked it properly.
    This looked like a lock-out problem with a TF branded phone, but the OP says it's an unlocked phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    This looked like a lock-out problem with a TF branded phone, but the OP says it's an unlocked phone.
    The question I asked was whether or not the unlocked version allows hotspot on tracfone verizon. And the reason I asked is because I have the tracfone locked version and it doesn't allow hotspot. If hotspot works on the unlocked version then I may buy one.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post

Interesting, thanks

Feedback Score
    The question I asked was whether or not the unlocked version allows hotspot on tracfone verizon. And the reason I asked is because I have the tracfone locked version and it doesn't allow hotspot. If hotspot works on the unlocked version then I may buy one.
    You might not get a clear answer to your question. My experience with hotspots with TF is that it is highly dependent on the phone, SIM and version of the OS. I upgraded a Moto G5 Plus once and the hotspot stopped working after the OS upgrade. So, YMMV.

If this is an important issue, consider getting a cheap off brand phone just to use as a hotspot. They configure the OS so it doesn't ask the carrier if hotspots are allowed. For the purpose of running a hotspot, you don't care about screen quality, camera, etc. So, you might be able to get one for <$50.

Feedback Score
    Hear is a newer thread from the same blog that was originally posted 5 days ago about an unlocked Moto G Power available from Target:

https://slickdeals.net/f/14522438-64...pping#comments

Maybe there is some info in that thread about hotspot, or maybe you could ask a question over there yourself.

Feedback Score
    some phones, hotspot works out of the box, i believe tracfone Verizon does allow hotspot use. TF AT&T does not, unsure about T mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    If this is an important issue, consider getting a cheap off brand phone just to use as a hotspot. They configure the OS so it doesn't ask the carrier if hotspots are allowed.
    It's disturbing that they might start locking out hotspot on some newer Tracfone models. Previous Moto models were largely unmodified from the unlocked versions, besides the usual SIM lock. Wonder what they do about plans that have legitimate hotspot like Total Wireless and Straight Talk?

Feedback Score
    I always assumed my low end LG/TCL/ZTE phones were too dumb to ask the SIM for permission before turning hotspot on.
    My TF branded iPhones just tell me that the SIM says not to let me do it, talk to my provider to turn on hotspot.
    Tracfone rewards referral code HUYV-40FF gives 8,000 points to new rewards members.

Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Feedback Score
    PDAnet with WiFi direct works fine if you don't want to mess with rooting your phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    PDAnet with WiFi direct works fine if you don't want to mess with rooting your phone.
    What good is hotspoting Wifi?
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    What good is hotspoting Wifi?
    Not sure what you're referring to.

I'm talking about getting around that annoying "you do not have hotspot with your subscription" message you get in the Moto G Power when you try to activate hotspot. I just use PDAnet, and it works fine on my laptop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast