Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: HSN having two phones for one sale

Feedback Score
    Questions for those who have received the phone --

I heard that its WIFI is 802.11n 2.4GHz only (no 5GHz). Is this true? Also from the picture it does not seem to have fingerprint reader (unlike the unlocked K31), correct?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snehne View Post

I heard that its WIFI is 802.11n 2.4GHz only (no 5GHz). Is this true? Also from the picture it does not seem to have fingerprint reader (unlike the unlocked K31), correct?

Thanks!
    ...google is your friend...

https://www.gsmchoice.com/en/catalogue/lg/k31rebel/

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thanks!
    True, 2.4ghz only and no finger print sensor.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny180 View Post
    That site is wrong about the fingerprint sensor, it does not have one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic55 View Post
    True, 2.4ghz only and no finger print sensor.
    Thanks!!!! Appreciate the quick response.

I wanted to ask actual owners because gsmchoice and similar sites are not always accurate. In addition to the fingerprint sensor error you pointed out, it also says 2.4 & 5GHz WIFI, which is incorrect as well.

Makes me wonder how much LG saves by removing these features. My guess would be 0 or close to 0 (I don't think they can get 2.4GHz only WIFI chip nowadays); probably just a marketing move to maintain a higher price on the generic K31.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks!!!! Appreciate the quick response.

I wanted to ask actual owners because gsmchoice and similar sites are not always accurate. In addition to the fingerprint sensor error you pointed out, it also says 2.4 & 5GHz WIFI, which is incorrect as well.

Makes me wonder how much LG saves by removing these features. My guess would be 0 or close to 0 (I don't think they can get 2.4GHz only WIFI chip nowadays); probably just a marketing move to maintain a higher price on the generic K31.
    I agree with you, very little savings - but I think TracFone/America Movil is the one pulling the strings here. Saving 20 cents per phone x 500K of them is still money on the table. I'm okay with these concessions to reach whatever price point since the rest of the phone works well and it's very cheap. Luckily BYOP means we can bring a phone we like better.

I still like the phone for the price. There's a tiny lag when doing things but I'm used to higher end phones so taking price into account, the phone performs just fine. I also like the 32GB of onboard storage vs. 16GB in a lot of other similarly priced phones. Battery life is good, screen is pretty nice and it works just fine with Verizon's LTE/VoLTE.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 12 eSIM; Samsung A71 5G
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 12 dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]; Cricket: iPhone SE 2nd gen
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    I agree with you, very little savings - but I think TracFone/America Movil is the one pulling the strings here. Saving 20 cents per phone x 500K of them is still money on the table. I'm okay with these concessions to reach whatever price point since the rest of the phone works well and it's very cheap. Luckily BYOP means we can bring a phone we like better.

I still like the phone for the price. There's a tiny lag when doing things but I'm used to higher end phones so taking price into account, the phone performs just fine. I also like the 32GB of onboard storage vs. 16GB in a lot of other similarly priced phones. Battery life is good, screen is pretty nice and it works just fine with Verizon's LTE/VoLTE.
    The price is definitely very tempting for the hardware, and the phone seems very capable for what it is intended for. I agree that TF really has every motivation to trim off any unnecessary cost. What I was speculating is how LG would respond to the demand -- I doubt they actually manufactured a different phone; the FP scanner could simply be covered by the back, and the 5GHz WiFi disabled by software. I think this approach might be more economical to LG -- the overhead of a different production line could easily exceed any savings here.

The unlocked K31 is $85 at Best Buy (with activation). Here at $50 a piece with 1yr of service, I suppose TF is subsidizing, but by how much? I am always curious about how much the phones really cost them (I know the minutes cost them very little).

Feedback Score
    I just ordered this from HSN yesterday. I have two questions. 1. I noticed when I ordered the screen protectors that some say they only fit the phone from Tracfone. I don't know where the finger print scanner is, but thought that might be the reason. So, when buying a case for the K31, do I need to worry about that too? Is the finger print scanner by chance that large spot on the back, below the camera lenses? If so, I guess it won't be a problem with the case. It'll just have a hole in it where the scanner would be. 2. I'm using a 128gb micro sd card in my current phone, a Samsung Galaxy Sky. I see this LG K31 only supports a 32gb micro sd card, so I guess I'll need to purchase a 32gb card. Out of curiosity, if the LG had supported a 128gb card, would I have been able to just swap my current card from the Samsung to the LG, or would it need to be reformatted? Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkitikki View Post
    I just ordered this from HSN yesterday. I have two questions. 1. I noticed when I ordered the screen protectors that some say they only fit the phone from Tracfone. I don't know where the finger print scanner is, but thought that might be the reason. So, when buying a case for the K31, do I need to worry about that too? Is the finger print scanner by chance that large spot on the back, below the camera lenses? If so, I guess it won't be a problem with the case. It'll just have a hole in it where the scanner would be. 2. I'm using a 128gb micro sd card in my current phone, a Samsung Galaxy Sky. I see this LG K31 only supports a 32gb micro sd card, so I guess I'll need to purchase a 32gb card. Out of curiosity, if the LG had supported a 128gb card, would I have been able to just swap my current card from the Samsung to the LG, or would it need to be reformatted? Thanks in advance.
    What makes you think they have a finger print scanner?

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking you didn't read the whole post.
    "It'll just have a hole in it (the case) where the scanner would be."

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkitikki View Post
    I'm using a 128gb micro sd card in my current phone, a Samsung Galaxy Sky. I see this LG K31 only supports a 32gb micro sd card, so I guess I'll need to purchase a 32gb card. Out of curiosity, if the LG had supported a 128gb card, would I have been able to just swap my current card from the Samsung to the LG, or would it need to be reformatted?
    There are two things at play here:
    1. If the LG can only support a microSD card up to 32GB, then (even with reformatting) it cannot see/use any space above 32GB. I'd go ahead and put the 128GB card from the Samsung into the LG, then go into Settings-->Storage (or use a File Manager app) and see how the LG reports its capacity.

2. If the LG sees the entire 128GB of the card from the Samsung, you don't need to reformat it. The LG will create some "systems" files for its own use and leave the existing files alone. There will be some Samsung-specific files left on the card, but usually they don't take up much space and don't cause problems in the LG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    There are two things at play here:
    1. If the LG can only support a microSD card up to 32GB, then (even with reformatting) it cannot see/use any space above 32GB. I'd go ahead and put the 128GB card from the Samsung into the LG, then go into Settings-->Storage (or use a File Manager app) and see how the LG reports its capacity.

2. If the LG sees the entire 128GB of the card from the Samsung, you don't need to reformat it. The LG will create some "systems" files for its own use and leave the existing files alone. There will be some Samsung-specific files left on the card, but usually they don't take up much space and don't cause problems in the LG.
    Thanks. That was very helpful.

Feedback Score
    I just activated 1 of the 2 phones but I had to do it through the app because I couldn't get the web page to load. I only got 7,000 reward points added. For the price I can't really complain though !

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyUSSLUCE View Post
    I just activated 1 of the 2 phones but I had to do it through the app because I couldn't get the web page to load. I only got 7,000 reward points added. For the price I can't really complain though !
    I was wondering if the add a line bonus had changed at all, because on one page it does show 7K points but when you click through it says 10K. Still good though!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pack-Supe...53.m2749.l2649

Bought this for my LG from this deal - fits perfectly, went on very easily with no bubbles. Cheap too. I use Supershieldz on everything from my cheap phones to my MacBooks and iPads.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast