Thread: Prepaid provider with unlimited 3G

Hop, Skip, and a Jump from Tijuana, Mexico
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Prepaid provider with unlimited 3G

Hi,

Are there any prepaid providers that after a certain amount of high speed data they throttle to 3g instead of 128 k or slower?

I am buying an LTE smartwatch that I don't need voice or text on (I don't care if the plan comes with them), but I do want at least 3G data after I use up the high speed allotment.
    MOBILE HISTORY:
    TM
    * 16: Moto X Pure 64GB Black
    TM, Telcel, ATT
    * 15: Note 3, ZE600, 2720
    * 14: Galaxy Avant, Z600
    Sprint/ATT
    * 12: GS3, 2720
    Nextel/Boost/ATT
    * 10: BB8350i, 2720
    * 09: i9, BB7520
    * 08: Tilt, i450
    * 07: W810i, A707, 8125, BlackJack
    * 06: L6, Z520, 6682
    VZ/TM/ATT
    * 05: 7135, i600, V551, 6230, 6620, Z600
    * 04: V300, T610, 6035, 3390
    * 03: T720C
    * 02: Advx CDM4000, 9000, 9155GPX, Thera

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rafster View Post
    Hi,

Are there any prepaid providers that after a certain amount of high speed data they throttle to 3g instead of 128 k or slower?

I am buying an LTE smartwatch that I don't need voice or text on (I don't care if the plan comes with them), but I do want at least 3G data after I use up the high speed allotment.
    Verizon Prepaid, AT&T Prepaid, and Tello are the ones I know of. You can find others by looking through prepaidcompare.net providers list.

I have no idea how watches work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rafster View Post
    Hi, Are there any prepaid providers that after a certain amount of high speed data they throttle to 3g instead of 128 k or slower? I am buying an LTE smartwatch that I don't need voice or text on (I don't care if the plan comes with them), but I do want at least 3G data after I use up the high speed allotment.
    you have until next year (December 2021) to enjoy 3G on AT&T network - https://www.digi.com/blog/post/upcom...network-sunset

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Sprint (personal phone) / AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    Does the watch you're intending to buy take a SIM card, or is it eSIM? If eSIM, you'll need a provider that supports that.

I am not aware of any MVNOs that provide unlimited 3G, they either are unlimited full speed data or they step down to 2G. Remember, you still have LTE, your data is just throttled if you exceed your allotment.

All that said, I can't imagine a watch would use much data, unless you used it for music streaming over LTE to Bluetooth earphones. So you might find that 1GB is plenty for a watch plan.

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What are you planning to use data for on a smartwatch? There is no place for a SIM card and most can be linked to your smartphone via bluetooth - so that's how you get the data. So maybe your question really is about carriers/MVNOs with unlimited data for your smartphone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    you have until next year (December 2021) to enjoy 3G on AT&T network - https://www.digi.com/blog/post/upcom...network-sunset
    Plans that throttle down to 3G or 2G speeds are still using LTE, just throttled down to 3G or 2G speeds.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
    What are you planning to use data for on a smartwatch? There is no place for a SIM card and most can be linked to your smartphone via bluetooth - so that's how you get the data. So maybe your question really is about carriers/MVNOs with unlimited data for your smartphone?
    Many smartwatches (Samsung, Apple) offer versions that can also use a SIM to connect to the cellular network in addition to connecting to the phone via Bluetooth.

This allows you (with your carrier's help and blessing) to mirror your phone's service on the watch, so you can text or make calls on the watch even when you don't have your phone on you (like when jogging.)

I'm reality, the watch gets its own number, but the wireless carrier rigs the system so calls to the phone can ring on the watch as well, so it appears to the user that the watch is just an extension of the phone's service.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011