Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 93

Thread: Samsung Galaxy A01 a good phone?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    60
    Device(s)
    Wiko Life 2, Samsung A910
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Assurance Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    Samsung Galaxy A01 a good phone?

    Please pardon me if someone already has mentioned if the Samsung Galaxy A01 is a good phone to buy or not?

    I see a decent deal for it on HSN with the typical Tracfone 1500 Min/Text/Data for 1 year for $59.99. Not expecting a great phone just a decent one for the price one. I need to replace a phone that is 3g without VOLTE.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,191
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Here is an online review from CNet: https://www.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-a01-review/
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,814
    Feedback Score
    0
    I had the A11 and ended up returning it because of how laggy it was. I can only imagine how the A01 is with more inferior specs. And this was for a phone I just needed to do occasional browsing and calls on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mtns of Western NC
    Posts
    1,269
    Device(s)
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Carrier(s)
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I had the A01 for testing purposes. Overall I liked it but I did return it. It is the smallest phone I've used in quite some time so if that appeals to you then you might like it. Also, the screen was pretty decent for the price point. Phone seemed pretty quick & responsive to me. The ringers and loud speaker were VERY loud but the tone quality was harsh at high volumes. That is probably my biggest complaint--the harsh tonal quality. I do like having access to Samsung apps like the SMS app. Provides an alternative to Google produced apps. Thinking about getting it again because of the apps & small size.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    60
    Device(s)
    Wiko Life 2, Samsung A910
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Assurance Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post
    I had the A01 for testing purposes. Overall I liked it but I did return it. It is the smallest phone I've used in quite some time so if that appeals to you then you might like it. Also, the screen was pretty decent for the price point. Phone seemed pretty quick & responsive to me. The ringers and loud speaker were VERY loud but the tone quality was harsh at high volumes. That is probably my biggest complaint--the harsh tonal quality. I do like having access to Samsung apps like the SMS app. Provides an alternative to Google produced apps. Thinking about getting it again because of the apps & small size.
    I have a Wiko Life 2 u307as cell phone and an extremely old windows phone. The windows phone needs to be replaced and also I thought I would try Tracfone.

    The windows phone is not used much, but I want to keep the phone number as it is the one my family knows. It is slow and the battery is going. So go it must.

    How was reception and did it work with Wi-Fi OK? Saw some complaints about it getting slower over time. Saw that HSN has it for $59.99 with 1500 min/text/data for 365 days. Sounds good enough at that price for me.

    The Wiko is no speed demon, it has 16gb/2gb and I have a bunch of apps on it with it has 11.45gb used out of the 16gb. How much real space does Samsung leave the user for apps?

    Thank you in advance for any more info on this phone.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mtns of Western NC
    Posts
    1,269
    Device(s)
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Carrier(s)
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    All I can say is it worked well overall. It was fairly snappy, had a good screen and the loud speaker was loud. I like basic phones and I don't have extravagant needs other than adequate volume. I have no idea on the storage space as I only ever use about a dozen apps. Storage is never a concern for me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    60
    Device(s)
    Wiko Life 2, Samsung A910
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Assurance Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post
    All I can say is it worked well overall. It was fairly snappy, had a good screen and the loud speaker was loud. I like basic phones and I don't have extravagant needs other than adequate volume. I have no idea on the storage space as I only ever use about a dozen apps. Storage is never a concern for me.
    Thank you! I too don't need a fast cell phone with a lot of fancy features.

    My app needs are small. Just concerned that the Samsung UI would take extra room from the already small ram space. Sounds like it is adequate.

    Looks like I found the phone I need.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    60
    Device(s)
    Wiko Life 2, Samsung A910
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Assurance Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ordered the phone from HSN and got it Wednesday. Charged it up on Thanksgiving afternoon. Then took a chance and ported over from PagePlus, so I could keep the phone number.

    Took about 10 minutes to transfer and a lot longer for the phone to update.

    Now I have a lot to learn about using this phone.

    Thanks to all for your assistance.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    72
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mkendallpk View Post
    Ordered the phone from HSN and got it Wednesday. Charged it up on Thanksgiving afternoon. Then took a chance and ported over from PagePlus, so I could keep the phone number.

    Took about 10 minutes to transfer and a lot longer for the phone to update.

    Now I have a lot to learn about using this phone.

    Thanks to all for your assistance.
    I know this post is 6 months old but i'd like to know how you like the phone so far and if you kept it or replaced it? I saw the same $59.99 sale on QVC today and with a $10 off coupon ordered it for $49.99 w/free shipping.

    I currently have a Galaxy J7 Crown that's over 2 years old with a 5.5" screen and the A01 is 5.7" (though it appears to be more narrow and smaller than the Crown). But I prefer a bit of a larger screen so I hope the pics are deceiving.

    It comes with 1.5GB data and 1 year of service...My current Tracfone service ends 4/2022 so this would push it back to 4/2023. So if the phone sucks and I go back to the Crown i'm still getting my money's worth for the $50. It also has Android 10.0 and my Crown is 9.0, but I have no idea what the difference is there. It seems like an upgrade.

    To anyone else, is the A01 a step up, down or sideways from my J7 Crown?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,833
    Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chris330r View Post
    I currently have a Galaxy J7 Crown that's over 2 years old with a 5.5" screen and the A01 is 5.7" (though it appears to be more narrow and smaller than the Crown). But I prefer a bit of a larger screen so I hope the pics are deceiving.
    A Google search showed that the TF J7 Crown is model J767VL. I couldn't find that exact model on www.gsmarena.com . They show a Samsung J7 (2018) that has the same screen-saver as the TF model. If that's the J7 Crown that you have, then here's a Samsung J7 vs Samsung A01 comparison . A cell phone screen size is measured diagonally, so although the A01 has 5.7" screen it actually has less surface area than the J7's 5.5" screen.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    72
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for that comparison. They both seem to be similar. I just don't get how the A01 can have a larger screen yet still be smaller? So if I want a larger screen it's better to stick with the J7? I'm really looking forward to seeing the two phones side by side in person.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,390
    Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chris330r View Post
    I know this post is 6 months old but i'd like to know how you like the phone so far and if you kept it or replaced it? I saw the same $59.99 sale on QVC today and with a $10 off coupon ordered it for $49.99 w/free shipping.

    I currently have a Galaxy J7 Crown that's over 2 years old with a 5.5" screen and the A01 is 5.7" (though it appears to be more narrow and smaller than the Crown). But I prefer a bit of a larger screen so I hope the pics are deceiving.

    It comes with 1.5GB data and 1 year of service...My current Tracfone service ends 4/2022 so this would push it back to 4/2023. So if the phone sucks and I go back to the Crown i'm still getting my money's worth for the $50. It also has Android 10.0 and my Crown is 9.0, but I have no idea what the difference is there. It seems like an upgrade.

    To anyone else, is the A01 a step up, down or sideways from my J7 Crown?
    The reason for the narrow size but a larger screen is the screen near edge to edge on all sides. The J7 Crown is not a near edge on the top and bottom.

    I have compared the A10e to the J7 Crown and even the J7 Sky Pro because my dad needed a new phone, but he did not like the narrow screen of the A10e.

    If you want a phone that is about the same width of the J7 Crown, the A50 and A51 is closer to the width of the J7 Crown.

    I would not know if there is any performance increase tho.

    Edit: Another reason is the J7 Crown screen is 16:9 ratio, and the A01 screen is 19:9 ratio.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,833
    Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chris330r View Post
    I just don't get how the A01 can have a larger screen yet still be smaller?
    The screen size is measured diagonally, from one corner to the opposite corner. To see how a given screen size can have different surface area, try this experiment: get a ruler and mark on it a distance of 5 3/4" (close enough to 5.7"). Now, on a piece of paper, draw different rectangles with different width vs height ratio but all have a 5 3/4" diagonal measurement. You'll notice that the one that has a ratio of 1:1 (a square) has the biggest surface area, while one with a higher ratio (shaped like a dollar bill) has a smaller surface area. The J7 screen has a 16:9 ratio while the A01 screen has a 19:9 ratio. That's why the A01 screen measures more diagonally but has a smaller surface area.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    72
    Feedback Score
    0
    The A50 also looks kinda skinny. I guess narrow phones are the new style? I do prefer more width and love my J7 Crown. I'll see if I can get used to the A01 when it comes and if not then just switch back to the J7 until I find a better replacement. It's still no loss with the year service and data if I hate the A01.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,390
    Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chris330r View Post
    The A50 also looks kinda skinny. I guess narrow phones are the new style? I do prefer more width and love my J7 Crown. I'll see if I can get used to the A01 when it comes and if not then just switch back to the J7 until I find a better replacement. It's still no loss with the year service and data if I hate the A01.
    The A50 is 2.94 inches in width while the J7 Crown is 3.00 inches in width.

    The screen is really make it looks weird if you are not use to the near to edge screen and the camera notch.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to unlock Sprint, T-mobile, Metro PCS Samsung Galaxy A01 ( SM-A015AZ ) phones
    By cellcorner in forum Cellcorner.com - Professional mobile phone unlocking equipment, remote unlock, phone accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2020, 03:32 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 04:57 PM
  3. Sold: Samsung Galaxy Nexus Unlocked Good Price!
    By civicsrule in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM
  4. How to Unlock Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 Phone by Unlock Code to any GSM Network
    By cellunlocker1 in forum CELLUNLOCKER.NET - UNLOCK your Phone to Any GSM Network, Fastest & LowestPrice 100% Guaranteed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2003, 10:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks