Thread: Visble - Poor download speeds / OK upload speeds

Feedback Score

Visble - Poor download speeds / OK upload speeds

I suppose I'm really just looking for affirmation, perhaps hoping there's an outside chance that a simple fix that I'm just not aware of.

I've got an iPhone 6 on Visible. When I'm here at home, the download speeds are great. Almost always above 10mbps and usually above 20mbps. I don't have a problem with these speeds.

But when I move to a remote location where I need the Internet, the download speeds are abysmal, less than 500kbps, probably less than 200kbps a lot of times.

The remote location is about 10 miles from "home" and I'm sure I'm connecting to a different tower between the locations.

I suspect the remote location is connecting to an overloaded tower - or at least one where Visible's priority is far down the food chain. The remote location is in an area where there is absolutely no Internet options. No cable, no DSL, no fiber, nothing. It's either satellite or cell hot spots out there. I suspect that there are a lot of folks that use real Verizon and they get a higher priority than Visible users and that's what is affecting my speeds.

The strange thing though, upload speeds are fine (well, fine-ish). Upload speeds will usually be between 3mbps and 8mbps even when the download speeds are at 200kbps. But the download speeds are so low, if I try to do anything that "downloads" - like reloading a webpage - it has a tendency to disconnect the connection. If I just upload (live streaming) without doing anything else, the connection seems to work.

Technically I am tethered while doing all of this. But I've checked the speeds directly on the phone without tethering and they remain the same (poor download, OK upload). I did try the TTL change, but that didn't change anything - neither did I expect much since the speed issue is present directly on the phone.

This seems to be a relatively new occurrence, happening within the past month or so. The download speeds were never extremely great, but I seem to recall them being at around 5mbps and that would suit me fine.

I suppose my first question is, has anybody experienced a similar situation and was there any resolution? Again, I suspect that it's either an overloaded tower or a tower where Visibile connectivity is low on the priority. So I don't think there is much that can be done.

I suppose I could try something other than Visible - I would suspect that Verizon Prepaid would be higher up the priority list on the tower - but I'm really not sure that it would change enough to warrant the extra cost.

Another thought, I'm using an iPhone 6 on Visible, would changing phones have any affect? I seem to only be connecting on Bands 5 and 13. I'm really not sure of what bands are available in this area.

I just really don't see a ton of options. Maybe there's an outside chance that somebody has experienced this particular issue with Visible and might have a solution. AT&T or one of AT&T's MVNOs might be an option, but really can't find anything that comes close to Visible's $25/mo.

Feedback Score
    On my Visible phone down & up are fine. Hotspot down is ok but up sucks.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    On my Visible phone down & up are fine. Hotspot down is ok but up sucks.
    This is Verizon deprioritization. You will find this to be the case with Verizon Visible and MVNO'S using Verizon. You may want to try AT&T prepaid or an AT&T MVNO.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Upload speed higher than download is generally evidence of a congested cell. Congested cells in rural areas generally did not used to happen much. With many people stuck at home that may no longer be the case as much. It doesn't take many video streamers to congest a low capacity cell. There is no simple fix for it other than trying postpaid. Even that may not work.

You could try having others with postpaid or other carriers do some speed tests to see what they look like.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Upload speed higher than download is generally evidence of a congested cell.
    This is pretty much what I figured. Maybe a combination of the tower being overloaded and Visible being low man on the prioritization totem pole. Probably the tower at "home" is not as overloaded so deprioritization doesn't kick in. Another guess is that Verizon doesn't kick in deprioritization until a month or so into service, so that new customers on Visible are given a false sense of security that they'll get good performance for $25/mo.

Regarding Verizon Prepaid data - I'm not sure if it would work any better, but I do note that Verizon sells a 6GB prepaid data plan for $35/mo and a 16GB plan for $45/mo. I don't need a ton of data, 10GB would probably be ideal and 6GB might work, but it'd probably be cutting it close.

Is there anyway I can order the 6GB prepaid data plan and use the sim card in the iPhone 6? Spending $35 to test out a month (although... who knows what happens a couple of months in?) is not necessarily an insurmountable task - but if I have to spend $50 for a hotspot device on top of the $35 just to test out the theory, that starts to get a bit richer just to test out a theory. To be clear, I don't need calls or text, I just need the data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    This is pretty much what I figured. Maybe a combination of the tower being overloaded and Visible being low man on the prioritization totem pole. Probably the tower at "home" is not as overloaded so deprioritization doesn't kick in. Another guess is that Verizon doesn't kick in deprioritization until a month or so into service, so that new customers on Visible are given a false sense of security that they'll get good performance for $25/mo....
    My Visible has been consistently inconsistent from day one.

Finding out what works in a location may be trial and error, with the possibility that nothing will work reliably for video streaming.

Feedback Score
    Well, the outgoing streaming actually works with Visible - I just can't do anything else while streaming... like posting a link to the stream in Facebook, that literally kills the connection.

Kind of the inverse of what I've seen before. I can remember old school DSL connections where if anyone was uploading anything it killed the connection for everybody else.

According to cellmapper there's a T-Mobile tower not too far from the location. I'm very skeptical about T-Mobile working, but my thought are that if T-Mobile would work, it might work very well. Because I don't think anybody uses T-Mobile in this area. The chances of the tower being congested are slim. I ordered a phone and sim kit from Walmart Family Mobile, I'll give it a spin. On one hand, I hate throwing away money, but on the other hand it can tell me if it's worth investing in. At worst, I'm out a month's service cost and gain a new mini-tablet.