Thread: Questions on NFC and phone charging

Feedback Score

Questions on NFC and phone charging

I just bought a new vehicle and the salesman was going over all the features. He asked if my phone had NFC which it does not. I also noticed this vehicle has wireless charging. I've been looking for a new phone anyway. Is there a reasonably priced phone ($200) that has NFC and can do both wired and wireless charging? I would even consider an I-phone. Does not have to be the latest and greatest. I'm using ATT on Tracfone.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    You can use this Phone Finder tool at gsmarena.com to find candidates. I roughly put in 2019 or later, Android, 32GB/2GB RAM, HD screen, NFC, wireless charging, and got 81 hits. You can fine-tune the search with more of your preferred specs.
    Phone Finder Results

Feedback Score
    Thanks hpham. I can never seem to remember this site. LOL

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ , S20+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have a S8+ Samsung Galaxy that I will be selling about month and half from now that does all that you required. Its pristine condition with case and ArmorSuit Screen Protector installed, off contract Verizon BYOP that I have had activated with TF for the last year. Love the phone!

I recently found an eBay deal for an (open box) S20+ I couldn’t refuse. Turned out to be brand new never before activated. That makes it locked to Verizon for 60 days of required activation with them.

I will be selling the S8+ soon.

joshiii
    upstateSC

Feedback Score
    The unlocked Motorola Moto One Action is $199.99 at Best Buy right now has NFC. It's a larger sized phone at roughly 6.25 X 3 inches with Android 9 and 4 GB Ram.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorol...&skuId=6375633

EDIT: No wireless charging with the Moto One Action. I was considering this phone for myself and had assumed wireless charging capabilities. Further investigation debunked that assumption.
    Last edited by lg800g user; 12-05-2020 at 04:49 PM. Reason: new information

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ , S20+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post
    EDIT: No wireless charging with the Moto One Action. I was considering this phone for myself and had assumed wireless charging capabilities. Further investigation debunked that assumption.

Motorola Edge Plus is 5G and a Samsung S20+ clone for $700 USD. I would like to test one, but already have the Galaxy S20+. Edge+ has NFC, wireless charging, and 5G.

Feedback Score
    The unlocked Motorola Moto One Action is $199.99 at Best Buy right now has NFC. It's a larger sized phone at roughly 6.25 X 3 inches with Android 9 and 4 GB Ram.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorol...&skuId=6375633

Maybe I haven't kept up with recent developments, but I'd be surprised if a $199 phone would have wireless charging.

As an aside, my daughter has used a Moto One Action for almost a year now, and she seems to still like it fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Maybe I haven't kept up with recent developments, but I'd be surprised if a $199 phone would have wireless charging.
    Yeah, it was more or less a blind assumption on my part that a phone with an original MSRP of $350 would have wireless charging. I don't know a lot about which phones offer it and just assumed all phones over a certain price point would offer it.

With that said, wireless charging would not be a feature that I would ever seek out or use on a phone. It's my understanding that wireless charging unnecessarily heats up a phone's battery, which is not a good thing. It also seems like because of this heat output, that wireless charging would not be the most energy-efficient way to charge your phone.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ , S20+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    ........ It's my understanding that wireless charging unnecessarily heats up a phone's battery, which is not a good thing. It also seems like because of this heat output, that wireless charging would not be the most energy-efficient way to charge your phone.
    in Android 10 & Android 9 under (Settings/Device Care/Battery)you can set Wireless Charging to Fast Wireless Charging (15 watts) or Regular (5 watts). Wireless Charging is smart, when charging is complete, the charger stops charging. Battery heating I have not observed with Wireless Charging either on my Galaxy S8+ or new S20+.
    Last edited by joshiii; 12-07-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I think wireless charging would be a great feature to have, especially with the ability to set Fast Wireless Charging (15 watts) or Regular (5 watts) mentioned above.

I still love my Pixel 3a XL, but I'd love it even more if it had come with wireless charging and some kind or IP rating!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joshiii View Post
    in Android 10 you can set Wireless Charging to Fast Wireless Charging (15 watts) or Regular (5 watts). Wireless Charging is smart, when charging is complete, the charger stops charging. Battery heating I have not observed with Wireless Charging either on my Galaxy S8+ or new S20+.
    Thank you for that information. I could see wireless charging being a handy feature in that light.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    On some devices, wireless charging is even higher. I think I have seen some chargers that support up to 25 watts.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ , S20+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joshiii View Post
    in Android 10 & Android 9 under (Settings/Device Care/Battery)you can set Wireless Charging to Fast Wireless Charging (15 watts) or Regular (5 watts). Wireless Charging is smart, when charging is complete, the charger stops charging. Battery heating I have not observed with Wireless Charging either on my Galaxy S8+ or new S20+.
    Update: Fast Wireless Charging does heat the phone battery close to 95F degrees. Its not red hot, but very warm. I disabled Fast Wireless Charging, under Settings/Battery & Device Care(Device Care)/Battery. I don't need to completely charge the phone in less than a couple hours. The new Galaxy S20+ has a 4500 mah battery so it takes longer to charge.

Also its important to note: Not all wireless chargers have Fast Wireless Charging. Samsung Chargers do.

Feedback Score
    Anything over 90 degrees isn't good, but 95 isn't really bad either.
    Those who keep phones in our pockets probably have the battery over 95 for half the day.
    Tracfone rewards referral code HUYV-40FF gives 8,000 points to new rewards members.

Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards