Thread: ST Says I Need To Replace My Home Phone???

Feedback Score

ST Says I Need To Replace My Home Phone???

So today I got a postcard from ST and it says the my current home phone associated with (my number) doesn't support VoLTE, whatever that means. It says it will stop working soon. Today's date is 11/15/20. I visited their site but it is very confusing to me as to what they're offering or what I have to buy.
    This is actually a home phone I've set up for my mom some 5+ years ago. It is a 4-phone set AT&T DECT 6.0. The ST unit is a Huawi unit. Both have worked flawlessly over the 5+ years. I'd really prefer not to change anything as I do not remember passwords or anything like that, even though I have been paying the bill all this time. Anyone here have any idea what's going on? Thanks for any help you can provide, and, if possible, please keep things in layman's terms as I am not a phone guru! TIA!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc995 View Post
    So today I got a postcard from ST and it says the my current home phone associated with (my number) doesn't support VoLTE, whatever that means. It says it will stop working soon. Today's date is 11/15/20. I visited their site but it is very confusing to me as to what they're offering or what I have to buy.
    This is actually a home phone I've set up for my mom some 5+ years ago. It is a 4-phone set AT&T DECT 6.0. The ST unit is a Huawi unit. Both have worked flawlessly over the 5+ years. I'd really prefer not to change anything as I do not remember passwords or anything like that, even though I have been paying the bill all this time. Anyone here have any idea what's going on? Thanks for any help you can provide, and, if possible, please keep things in layman's terms as I am not a phone guru! TIA!
    Straight Talk uses the Verizon network. Verizon is shutting down the old system they used for voice (CDMA) 1/1/21. They will only support voice calling using Voice Over LTE (VoLTE). Your old Huawei unit does not work with VoLTE and will become inoperable.

You need to buy the model they are selling now to continue. The one I got some months ago is a ZTE Z723EL. There may be other models. Whatever model they are currently selling will work for VoLTE. When I got mine it was $50. $20 refurbished units were available from time to time, but not always.

Your cordless phones will not be effected.

Does Mom have an old cellphone the uses Verizon? That may need attention too.

Much discussion of the subject at: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...cember-31-2019

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Here is another phone box option: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-...oxee/116379799

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info! That makes it easy, I'll just go out and buy that unit. FWIW, they also gave me a 25.00 coupon towards it, so it should only set me back about 25.00 total.
    As far as her cell phone goes--I don't know-It's an old-style flip (Thru TracFone) and I'm hoping there won't be any issues with that!
    Again, much thanks for walking me thru this!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc995 View Post
    Thanks for the info! That makes it easy, I'll just go out and buy that unit. FWIW, they also gave me a 25.00 coupon towards it, so it should only set me back about 25.00 total.
    As far as her cell phone goes--I don't know-It's an old-style flip (Thru TracFone) and I'm hoping there won't be any issues with that!
    Again, much thanks for walking me thru this!
    Hey that's great that they gave you $25 towards the replacement.

If the cellphone uses Verizon through Tracfone and is more than 2-3 years old it will probably also be effected by the transition.

If you post the model number we can probably figure it out. The model number may be somewhere in the phone menus, otherwise it will be inside under the battery.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for that! The cell is an Alcatel Onetouch...I'm not sure whose system it is on. I buy the time on it from TracFone cards on the kiosk in CVS 4 time a year. I haven't received any messages that it'll be changing so hopefully it's OK...