Thread: Is iPhone 12 an Experiment in 5G?

Feedback Score

Question Is iPhone 12 an Experiment in 5G?

I am considering upgrading to an iPhone 12 and keep having second thoughts because it is Apple's first entry into the 5G market. I am having the following thoughts and would appreciate comments:

1. Who manufactures the 5G modem? I assume that it is Qualcomm.

2. Has the 5G modem been deployed in any other phones such as Samsung, LG, etc, or is the iPhone 12 the first deployment of the 5G modem?

3. I have read that the 5G modem does not support all of the bands that are needed for 5G, and also bands that will be needed in the near future. Is the ability to move this phone to another carrier (other than Verizon) impacted by the bands that are currently supported? What about 5G bands used by international carriers? Is there any truth to the statements that the iPhone 12 is lacking 5G band support?

4. I have read that the 5G modem places a very substantial power drain on the battery and that battery life is significantly lower when operating in 5G mode. Is this true? Can anyone provide details?

And finally an overall thought regarding the phone that is not 5G related:

In this age of COViD-19 where everyone must wear a mask in public, the iPhone 12 still does not have a fingerprint sensor that would be very useful for mask wearers. It is rumored that the iPhone 13 will have facial recognition and fingerprint recognition and therefore eliminates the inconvenience of using the phone while wearing a mask.

Thanks for providing thoughts and inputs.

Feedback Score
    The iPhone supports more 5G bands than any phone that I know of. And will certainly be fine for the next couple of years if not longer. Yes 5G does drain the battery as far as I know the iPhone has several settings to mitigate this. If you can hold off a year I'm sure the iPhone 13 will improve on the 12. I'm not an Apple user( never have been ) but the "lack of 5G bands" is not a reason to not get the 12. I can't speak for the other reasons

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    For that matter, about the only way that a phone isn't lacking future bands is once no one cares about adding bands. Such as 3G. 4G LTE may stop getting new bands at some point too, if carriers decide to just put new bands to 5G use.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. Not yet signed up for 5G.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't have gotten a first-generation 5G phone; just like with 4G LTE, the earliest 5G phones tended to support only 1 or 2 bands, high power usage, sometimes lower reception and speeds than just slightly newer models. (Actually the Stratosphere I had was a pretty early 4G model... but all that did apply, only supported 1 band in 4G mode, high power use, and lower 4G speed compared to like 6 month to a year newer phones, even before they got more than band 13 up here.)

That said, Apple took their sweet time releasing a 5G phone at all, everyone is already on their 2nd-generation designs (including Apple, they just didn't make a 1st-gen 5G phone), so the iphone 12 already uses somewhat less power and supports more bands than the earlier 5G phone models. I'd say if you want a new phone, go for it, I don't think you'll have some big regret over the 5G support; if you're getting it *just* for the 5G support, I'd wait a bit personally.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There will be no way to use Verizon's new C-Band spectrum without a new phone, such as the iPhone 12 series, because so far there are no phones that support C-Band LTE. Only C-Band 5G.

Verizon is done adding new LTE spectrum bands. They're sticking with 2, 4/66, 5, 13, 46 (5 GHz LAA), and 48 (CBRS), and that's it.

Feedback Score

Is iPhone 12 an Experiment in 5G?

Iím not sure itís totally clear yet to what extent the iPhone 12 may or may not support C-band.

While it may have the technical capability, itís not FCC approved to do so. I donít think there is a precedent of Apple adding new bands to phones post release based on revised FCC testing as sometimes happens with Android devices.

So far, by most/all? accounts the iPhone 12 seems to be an outstanding device (for those that like the Apple ecosystem).

Iím torn whether to upgrade this year or wait for the 13 (or 12s) myself. For me, itís mainly about CBRS and potentially better low signal performance (jury is still out on this) from the Qualcomm baseband. Did we ever get a definitive answer on whose antenna package was used? Itís an Apple custom, I think.

Certainly the Qualcomm x60 (or similar) which will be in the 13 adds a number of notable improvements ó perhaps most significantly 5G/4G CA, and continued power reduction. I also think I want to jump in before Apple moves to Intel/internal basebands as it may take a few tries for them to get it right.

I generally keep my phones (for nostalgia and to hand-me-down) to my kids. But if I get the 12, I would buy it on the IUG with the expectation of upgrading to the 13 a year later.

That said, I donít really have any good reason to replace my XSM. It generally works great. Initially, in 2018, the Intel baseband sucked, but after numerous firmware updates itís worked great for the past year or so. It actually works better on Verizon for some reason than it did on AT&T (no data stalls). Of course Verizonís can be slow at times in certain areas, but at least I donít have to toggle airplane mode all the time. I never had this problem with older Qualcomm iPhones on AT&T.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for all of the great information. What is "IUG"? Are you referring to the Apple upgrade program?

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    I am considering upgrading to an iPhone 12 and keep having second thoughts because it is Apple's first entry into the 5G market. I am having the following thoughts and would appreciate comments:

1. Who manufactures the 5G modem? I assume that it is Qualcomm.
    Qualcomm's X55 5G modem.

2. Has the 5G modem been deployed in any other phones such as Samsung, LG, etc, or is the iPhone 12 the first deployment of the 5G modem?
    Yes, all flagship 5G phones released this year use the X55. The only outlier I can think of is the Pixel 5 which uses the X52.

3. I have read that the 5G modem does not support all of the bands that are needed for 5G, and also bands that will be needed in the near future. Is the ability to move this phone to another carrier (other than Verizon) impacted by the bands that are currently supported? What about 5G bands used by international carriers? Is there any truth to the statements that the iPhone 12 is lacking 5G band support?
    The phone supports n2, n5, n12, n41, n66, n71, and n77 in Sub 6 as well as n258/n261 in mmWave. It's pretty future proof in that sense. Also, a lot of other bands. It has more 5G bands than any other manufacturer.

4. I have read that the 5G modem places a very substantial power drain on the battery and that battery life is significantly lower when operating in 5G mode. Is this true? Can anyone provide details?
    Sure. I found that mmWave sucks my battery down like nobody's business, but n5 didn't really seem to impact my battery life too much. X60 is said to be more power efficient as well as support Sub 6-Sub 6, Sub-6-mmWave, and mmWave-mmWave carrier aggregation. The X55 can already do LTE-5G carrier aggregation, which is necessary for NSA 5G.

And finally an overall thought regarding the phone that is not 5G related:

In this age of COViD-19 where everyone must wear a mask in public, the iPhone 12 still does not have a fingerprint sensor that would be very useful for mask wearers. It is rumored that the iPhone 13 will have facial recognition and fingerprint recognition and therefore eliminates the inconvenience of using the phone while wearing a mask.

Thanks for providing thoughts and inputs.
    Maybe, but iPhones are developed a few years in advance, and I doubt they'd have prepared soon enough for COVID if they were to use it. I do find myself missing Touch ID lately though... oh well.

5G Minneapolis, MN‎ -------------------------------------------------------------‎ 5G+ ‎Minneapolis, MN
    2+n5+? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2+n261

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Iím not sure itís totally clear yet to what extent the iPhone 12 may or may not support C-band.

While it may have the technical capability, itís not FCC approved to do so.
    I'm happy to break it you that the iPhone 12 series is FCC certified to use C-Band.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/iphone-12...proof-5g-phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all of the great information. What is "IUG"? Are you referring to the Apple upgrade program?
    Sorry, yes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    I'm happy to break it you that the iPhone 12 series is FCC certified to use C-Band.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/iphone-12...proof-5g-phone
    You are right. I saw that after I posted. They did get clearance for a very small sliver of C-band. Roughly the first 100 MHz that becomes available in late 2021.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    You are right. I saw that after I posted. They did get clearance for a very small sliver of C-band. Roughly the first 100 MHz that becomes available in late 2021.

and the other 180 MHz won't be available until Dec 2023. Most will have upgraded by then.