Thread: AT&T trying to charge me different rates when I SIM swap.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

AT&T trying to charge me different rates when I SIM swap.

As the title implies, on my AT&T bill, every time that I do SIM swap from my OnePlus 6 to my Blackberry Classic (backup phone). AT$T tries to add a charge to my bill. My bill at the end of the month was slightly higher by a few pennies but that is the State fees driving up the cost.
    Here's an example:
    1: Access to Blackberry 4G LTE w/VVM $-20.00
    2: Access to Smartphone 4G LTE w/VVM $20.00

I got several of these back and forth charges at differing cost throughout the month because I was switching my SIM back and forth while testing new ROMs on my OnePlus 6. When did AT$T start charging different access rates for different phones? I knew they had a different pricing scheme for iPhones access, but what's special about the Blackberry to justify the rate change compared to an unlocked non AT&T phone?
    Or is this AT&T's way of discouraging SIM swapping?
    HOW TO UNLOCK AND FLASH A NET10 LG 900G
    http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f177...hread-1176052/

Feedback Score
    access fee is $20 for each phone - https://forums.att.com/conversations...d5f2f60607d3ad

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Blackberry has (had? I do still see google posts up through 2019 mentioning it..) a system called BIS (Blackberry Internet Services) that can (or at least could) be set up on Blackberrys through AT&T, Verizon Wireless, T-Mo, etc.; this would allow push E-Mail and such on them. I imagine (whether they still actually provide BIS or not), this is why it's flipping between a general and a blackberry-specific plan.

Feedback Score
    They do that with all phones unfortunately. I noticed a similar thing when I was swapping between a Samsung Galaxy phone and an iPhone. It all added up to my normal amount because of the charges and credits but I thought it was interesting to see those charges like 10 times from me switching

Feedback Score
    Not sure if this is meaningful but I recently replaced my and my wife's phones. Moto E4 to Moto G Power and Moto G6 to Moto G Fast. Took SIMs out if old and installed in new. No charges on bill.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    Not sure if this is meaningful but I recently replaced my and my wife's phones. Moto E4 to Moto G Power and Moto G6 to Moto G Fast. Took SIMs out if old and installed in new. No charges on bill.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk
    Same here. I have moved my sim card to different phones from time to time. Never get a charge.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    It should simply be the straight $20 access fee since BIS has been off for about a year and the more recent BB's running Androids simply used the APNs without going through RIM servers. I remember, I had the same issue when I used BlackBerry's, but thought it was because I was on grandfathered plan with a BB (on BBOS) which used RIM servers for data/messaging.