Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon to go big in C-band auction

https://www.fiercewireless.com/opera...ction-analysts

Verizon has raised $12.5 billion in debt ahead of the C-band auction, listing “the acquisition of spectrum licenses” among potential uses of the proceeds, wrote New Street Research analyst Jonathan Chaplin in a note for investors on November 11, titled “Verizon Builds War Chest For C-Band Auction.”

When adding this to cash on the balance sheet, “we estimate they have up to $24BN available to spend on the C-band auction,” Chaplin said. “That is $4BN more than the $19BN we assumed they would spend… Verizon is going to the auction well-armed.”

Sent from my SM-A102U using HoFo mobile app
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    You would think they would. Of course everyone thought they would go big at the CBRS auction too.

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully they will get some for the boonies.Not going to hold my breath.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This is going to put incredible pressure on ATT. It's going to be interesting.

Sent from my SM-A102U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    Yes, hopefully they don’t forget the boonies. Not sure how 3.7ghz will help rural areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yeah, don't hold your breath. C-band is ~4GHz. Its range and material penetration is not going to be good for rural locations. It will primarily be an urban and suburban thing.

I seriously doubt that Verizon will even put it on all of their rural major highway sites. In small towns? Maybe, bit it is unlikely to be a priority.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yeah, don't hold your breath. C-band is ~4GHz. Its range and material penetration is not going to be good for rural locations. It will primarily be an urban and suburban thing.

I seriously doubt that Verizon will even put it on all of their rural major highway sites. In small towns? Maybe, bit it is unlikely to be a priority.
    If they do get a large chunk of spectrum you would be surprised to see where they put it. Sometimes in my market they put small cells in places that make no sense at all.

If Verizon is truly going to put billions of dollars into buying the spectrum they are going to want to get their money’s worth out of it. I would imagine that even in rural settings of towns are close enough to towers the c-band spectrum would be added if they get the licenses. They are going to want to increase capacity so they can add more home 5G sites to sell internet connections to recoup the cost of the spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    They walk away with 100 - 200mhz of contiguous spectrum in this. Just an opinion loosely based on the finances of competing bidders.

AT&T is in too poor a financial position to be a player in this and Tmobile should be concentrating on merging their networks cash wise.

Feedback Score
    Remember only 46 of the top 50 PEAs will have access to C-band spectrum until Dec 2023. Balt/DC, Atlanta, Denver and Honolulu will be left out also

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yeah, don't hold your breath. C-band is ~4GHz. Its range and material penetration is not going to be good for rural locations. It will primarily be an urban and suburban thing..

100% wrong

Quote Originally Posted by tekfranz View Post
    Yes, hopefully they don’t forget the boonies. Not sure how 3.7ghz will help rural areas.
    It can travel further than you think. I live in a rural area and it would help.

Feedback Score
    If verizon gets a decent amount, will this pt them close what tmobile has for midband?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    If verizon gets a decent amount, will this pt them close what tmobile has for midband?
    Yes........

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    100% wrong
    Wouldn't say 100%... I mean, 700/800 does travel a lot further than 1900, some rural sites do have a very large low-band-only coverage area, and 1900, AWS, CBRS, C-Band may do very little on some of these sites. I do agree though, I think it'll help in almost every case.

The sites covering highway 151, there's several along there that appear to cover open prairie and farmland, the highway is far enough out from these sites to be rather low signal even on low band; I would have thought even band 2 and 4 would be fairly useless on them. But when these were upgraded from "band 13 only" LTE to all-band LTE about a year ago, my speeds did go up from about 3mbps to 20mbps (still on weak band 13..), so presumably there's plenty of users close enough to be on the mid-band spectrum despite the appearances. (Either way more users and devices than it looks like from seeing this farmland... or, just as likely given the choice is often cellular or satellite for home broadband, relatively few devices but a lot of those devices are home hotspots burning through GBs like there's no tomorrow .) (In a small town, where I was about 3 blocks from the site, band 13-only I was getting about 6mbps, more recently I got like 120mbps. Of course adding bands on a slow site literally in the middle of town is a no-brainer.) Given how much 4 and 2 already sped up sites where I thought were too rural, I assume CBRS and CBand will still help in almost every case.

A lot of this newer hardware, running CBRS and C-Band is just a software update, flip the spectrum on, do tuning as needed (for rural areas, the mid-band probably doesn't overlap so they'd probably just run max power). So there's really no reason to not run it, the up-front cost is 0 and long-term cost is the tiny increase in power bill for a few extra watts.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Remember only 46 of the top 50 PEAs will have access to C-band spectrum until Dec 2023. Balt/DC, Atlanta, Denver and Honolulu will be left out also
    Yikes, didn't know about Denver, DC, Atlanta. Do you know why they'll be left out?

I wanted to visualize the top 46 PEAs so I did this last month - it's not perfect but it gives a general idea of what Verizon's mid band 5G network will look like in January 2022 (assuming they install gear in 2021).

https://imgur.com/a/tGCJbRD
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Yikes, didn't know about Denver, DC, Atlanta. Do you know why they'll be left out?
    Could be on those area the satellite companies couldn't move from their current spectrum by then.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I hope they do so this speeds up their 5G rollout to more than just low band (and yes I know about mmwave but that is pretty much just in big cities for the foreseeable future).