Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1-year service renewal or new phone bundle (Android 10/$150 or less/gyroscope)?

Feedback Score

1-year service renewal or new phone bundle (Android 10/$150 or less/gyroscope)?

My TF service expires Dec 1, 2020. I was hoping to see lots of Black Friday/TF/HSN/QVC deals, but if they are out there, I'm missing 'em.

My current phone = Moto E4 that I bought at Walmart in early 2019, so I believe it's BYOD to TF. Its OS is Android 7.1.1 and has been stuck there for quite a while. Long in the tooth, although the E4 is fine . . . really like the fingerprint reader at front bottom.

I am a very low-demand smartphone user.

Anyway, at the TF website, I do NOT receive the $50 add-on for a year's service.

The best 1-year service deal that I've found is on eBay for $60 – here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TracFone-Se...n/363166636750

A TF service bundle with a new budget phone might also work for me. Once or twice, I have succeeded in doing the bundle transfer dance via TF chat (with a bump in the road . . . or two, as I recall . . . not exactly fun but I would do it again for the right deal).

Top of my budget? $150-ish. (Of course, less is preferred with my low usage.)

Does anybody know of a deal that meets my minimal needs? (The current HSN bargain of 2 phones for $99 won't work for me: I believe there's no gyroscope in the LG K51.)

Your advice in solving my dilemma would be much, much appreciated.

Cheers to y'all, Chaz

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chazz101s View Post
    A TF service bundle with a new budget phone might also work for me. Top of my budget? $150-ish. (Of course, less is preferred with my low usage.)

Does anybody know of a deal that meets my minimal needs? (The current HSN bargain of 2 phones for $99 won't work for me: I believe there's no gyroscope in the LG K51.)
    Since TF usually only sells phones made by Moto, LG, and Samsung, I used this search tool and put in those brands, Android, 2019 and later, 16GB/2GB RAM, gyroscope, list price of 250 Euros or less. There are 37 hits and I think TF sells some of those Moto models, although I'm not sure if the gyroscope is available in the TF version. You can fine-tune the candidate list by tweaking the search parameters to meet your preferences.
    List of phones under 250 Euros with gyroscope

Feedback Score
    E6 bundle for $65?

G7 Optimo Maxx (big phone) for $116?
    Tracfone rewards referral code NGUN-B7C5 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members.

Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    E6 bundle for $65?

G7 Optimo Maxx (big phone) for $116?
    Moto E6 is out of stock. (But my understanding is that the E6 lacks a gyroscope, which I need for a turntable-speed-calculating app . . . yep, I am one of those flat-earth folks and still spin lots of vinyl!)

Thanks for the recommendation of the MotoG7-Optimo-MAXX, which does seem to have the gyro.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Since TF usually only sells phones made by Moto, LG, and Samsung, I used this search tool and put in those brands, Android, 2019 and later, 16GB/2GB RAM, gyroscope, list price of 250 Euros or less. There are 37 hits and I think TF sells some of those Moto models, although I'm not sure if the gyroscope is available in the TF version. You can fine-tune the candidate list by tweaking the search parameters to meet your preferences.
    List of phones under 250 Euros with gyroscope
    Thank you, as always, Mr. Pham. Your wise counsel is a generous thing.

Love the comparator - didn't know of it - but, dang, I see that you want me to do the work ;-)

Will do.

But are any of those 37 models what you would call "bang-for-the-buck"? (That would help me narrow the field, please. I only have another week or so with all the dang shipping delays. . . .)

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Moto E6 is out of stock. (But my understanding is that the E6 lacks a gyroscope, which I need for a turntable-speed-calculating app . . . yep, I am one of those flat-earth folks and still spin lots of vinyl!)

Thanks for the recommendation of the MotoG7-Optimo-MAXX, which does seem to have the gyro.
    The MotoG7-Optimo-MAXX is Tracfone's name for the Moto G7 Power. It uses the same cases. I have not compared the specs to see if TF had changes made that are different than the G7 Power.

A G7 Power is my daily phone. I like it a lot. The big battery makes it heavy, but I like not having to plan my day around cellphone charging. It does not have NFC or wireless charging if that is important to you.

I had a Moto E6. It is a nice basic phone for the price, but with somewhat dated specs. It only has 2 GB RAM and 16 GB storage. It does have a replaceable battery which is unusual these days.

I know nothing about gyros in phones.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, as always, Mr. Pham. Your wise counsel is a generous thing.

Love the comparator - didn't know of it - but, dang, I see that you want me to do the work ;-)

Will do.

But are any of those 37 models what you would call "bang-for-the-buck"? (That would help me narrow the field, please. I only have another week or so with all the dang shipping delays. . . .)

Thanks again.
    Run the screener again with the price down to 150 Euro. There are only 7. One is a Galaxy A21s. We have an A20. It is nice. We like it. The screener does not take into account what is available with special prices from TF and elsewhere.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Huawei Mate SE, moto e5
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Here's a $49.99 phone with 1 year service and 1500minutes/1500text/1500MB.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-LG...~0AAOSwpnlfpBo

I was going to get one & transfer my existing minutes/text/data to the new phone. After old & new are lumped together I presume you can transfer the whole lot back to the old phone if you prefer it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Yesterday I tried to buy the Optimo Maxx at HSN, but the website would NOT take my form of payment. Against my better judgment, I called the toll-free and spoke with a pleasant service rep (Amy) who had some suggestions. After 5 more mins of wasted time, I decided against the deal and thanked Amy and hung up.

Today I visited the local WalMart and bought a different phone because SnowyWhite always seems to know the best bargains: the Straight Talk Moto e7 2020 for $39.88 plus tax. The sign on the shelf said $99.99, but the phone scanned at the sale price.

The form factor of the phone is too big, but it has specs that far exceed its sale price.

But does it have a gyroscope? (I've found yes and I've found no as answers to that question online. [Surprise, surprise, no?])

I've got 14 days to decide to keep the phone or return it. Wish me luck!

And thanks again to all who replied to this thread,
    Chaz

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    But does it have a gyroscope? (I've found yes and I've found no as answers to that question online. [Surprise, surprise, no?])

I've got 14 days to decide to keep the phone or return it. Wish me luck!
    The surest way is to run an app that requires a gyroscope. Next to that, the app CPU-Z is pretty good at listing the features of the phone. Both actions require you to open the box and use the phone, but I think Walmart allows an opened item to be returned.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The surest way is to run an app that requires a gyroscope. Next to that, the app CPU-Z is pretty good at listing the features of the phone. Both actions require you to open the box and use the phone, but I think Walmart allows an opened item to be returned.
    Thank you, as always, for the key advice!

A Google search tells me to access a YouTube 360 video. So I'll have to set up wifi access to get to YouTube (at least I'm believing that's the way to do it - yikes, so many ways to accomplish things and, worse, so many ways to go wrong ;-)

If no gyroscope, then I'll have to do some pondering . . . the phone is still in the box, but I bet that it's Midnight Blue "coat" is a winner.

Thanks again, Mr. Pham. Always a pleasure, Chaz

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    A Google search tells me to access a YouTube 360 video. So I'll have to set up wifi access to get to YouTube (at least I'm believing that's the way to do it - yikes, so many ways to accomplish things and, worse, so many ways to go wrong ;-)
    No needs to do that. Download and run the CPU-Z app or Gyroscope Test app. These are what they show for my LG Q7+.

Name:  LG-Q7-Gyroscope-Sensor.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  LG-Q7-Gyroscope-Test.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  22.0 KB

Feedback Score
    I don't see that the Moto E 2020 (or any other E model) has a Gyro sensor. The G models mostly do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast