Thread: Transferring sim card with texts and data?

Feedback Score

Transferring sim card with texts and data?

My wife is moving from Tracfone to Mint Mobile. She has 16 gb of data, 16,000 texts and two years of service left on her Tracfone account. Is it possible to transfer these "leftovers" to our daughter's Tracfone by moving the sim card or by any other means? Both are iPhones.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The units/days are tied to the account that is stored on the SIM. If you take the SIM from your wife's phone and put it in your daughter's phone, then your daughter's phone will have your wife's phone number and units/days.

You can contact TF via Chat (to avoid a poor phone connection and the rep's accent) and follow the script below to have the remaining days/units from your wife's phone added to your daughter's phone. The problem with that is your wife's phone will be deactivated and her phone number will be lost.

If you want to preserve your wife's phone number, then you need to do these steps in sequence:
    1. Port her phone number from TF to Mint Mobile. Her TF service will be deactivated.
    2. Within 60 days, but do it as soon as you can, REACTIVATE your wife's phone on TF, you'll need to add at least a minimal time card. Her phone will be assigned a new phone number, but the previous balance will be restored. I'm not sure if the number of service days will be restored.
    3. Use the script below to have the units/days from your wife's (reactivated) phone added to your daughter's phone.

================
    Dawn: Thank you for visiting TracFone Wireless.
    Dawn: How may I assist you?
    You: Hi. I don't use my phone xxx-xxx-7318 much. Can I have its remaining units/days added to my phone xxx-xxx-6668?
    Dawn: Yes, we can transfer the minutes to that number.
    Dawn: It will leave the number ending in 7318 deactivated.
    You: Yes, that's fine.
    Dawn: In order for me to assist you, I need to validate your identity.
    You: ok
    Dawn: Provide me with your four-digit security PIN.
    You: xxxx
    Dawn: That is correct. Thank you.
    Dawn: Your ticket number is 120507xxxx.
    Dawn: Your service will end on 09/28/20xx.
    Dawn: The minutes have been successfully transferred.
    You: Thank you very much for your help, Dawn.
    Dawn: You are welcome.

The reason you have to reactivate your wife's phone is that TF will only "combine" units/days from two ACTIVE phones. Also, if you get a rep that says you cannot combine units/days from two phones, terminate the Chat and try another rep. I and many people here have got it done before.

Feedback Score
    Thanks hpham! It sounds a bit involved, but worth the try. Instead of reactivating my wife's phone, could I reactivate another old phone I have laying around here? If I reactivate her phone then I need to first deactivate it from Mint, right??

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by betterdeal View Post
    Instead of reactivating my wife's phone, could I reactivate another old phone I have laying around here? If I reactivate her phone then I need to first deactivate it from Mint, right??
    Basically you need to reactivate her TF line (not the physical phone). Is her phone a TF-branded iPhone or a BYOP SIM? and what carrier on TF does it use?

Feedback Score
    hpham - She is also upgrading phones, moving from a first gen SE to an unlocked used X. I believe her current SE is CDMA/Verizon. I believe Mint is GSM t-online. She wants to take her current number from her SE/Tracfone to her X/Mint. Does that simplify things-- having those two phones to work with? I appreciate your help?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by betterdeal View Post
    She wants to take her current number from her SE/Tracfone to her X/Mint. Does that simplify things-- having those two phones to work with? I appreciate your help?
    It certainly helps to have two phones to work with separately, in case TF wants to reactivate her previous SIM, which is paired to the SE.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Waiting now to see if Best Buy comes forth with an even better deal for Black Friday on Mint Mobile's buy 3 months and get 3 months free.