Thread: Which Carriers Accept Boost Phones?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Which Carriers Accept Boost Phones?

Can a locked Boost 3g phone be used on any other carrier? Is there an economical way to unlock older phones? Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    At this point, no carrier will activate any 3G only device. As for locked devices, they are locked to only work with the same carrier/network (ie Sprint in this case).
    As it stands now, all devices activated must support VoLTE. Even MVNOs like Tello is starting to enforce this since they are being migrated to T-Mobile's network.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    You might try entering the IMEI on Tello's website.

I have 4 ex-Boost phones working on it, but they have 4G.

If I send in your email, we both get $10 credit. If they take your 3G phone it will quit working in mid-2021 since Tello uses Sprint.

A 3G smartphone is useful using Google Voice, Textnow, another VOIP app, an IP camera, ROKU remote control or game play.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    At this point, no carrier will activate any 3G only device. As for locked devices, they are locked to only work with the same carrier/network (ie Sprint in this case).
    As it stands now, all devices activated must support VoLTE. Even MVNOs like Tello is starting to enforce this since they are being migrated to T-Mobile's network.
    Yes, all phones that ran on Sprint will have to be T-Mobile VoLTE capable. Even some Sprint customers will have to replace their phones when they shut down CDMA. I doubt a Boost non-VoLTE phone can be unlocked now anyway. Not sure exactly when T-Mobile will pull the plug on CDMA service for Sprint and Boost customers.

You can still activate on the Sprint network with a VoLTE capable phone. Funny thing is Sprint did not even fully implement VoLTE in the later days, and T-Mobile is not going to fix this.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    You might try entering the IMEI on Tello's website.

I have 4 ex-Boost phones working on it, but they have 4G.

If I send in your email, we both get $10 credit. If they take your 3G phone it will quit working in mid-2021 since Tello uses Sprint.

A 3G smartphone is useful using Google Voice, Textnow, another VOIP app, an IP camera, ROKU remote control or game play.
    This would be a very short fix and these older Sprint phones may not be able to be activated on Tello anymore considering they just finished on-boarding for T-Mobile and sometime in the next week or so they will be making changes to their site. I suppose in the coming weeks, Tello will stop activating any Sprint device and will begin issuing only Tello branded T-Mobile SIMs, like Hello Mobile is already doing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, all phones that ran on Sprint will have to be T-Mobile VoLTE capable. Even some Sprint customers will have to replace their phones when they shut down CDMA. I doubt a Boost non-VoLTE phone can be unlocked now anyway. Not sure exactly when T-Mobile will pull the plug on CDMA service for Sprint and Boost customers.

You can still activate on the Sprint network with a VoLTE capable phone. Funny thing is Sprint did not even fully implement VoLTE in the later days, and T-Mobile is not going to fix this.
    According to Tello and other MVNO's I've been watching, the Sprint CDMA network is slated for shutdown as early as the middle/end of 2021. So, about 6-13 months from now.