Thread: Phones USED TO be cool. They're very boring now.

Feedback Score

Phones USED TO be cool. They're very boring now.

Flip phones are a lot more exciting than a "flat glass slab".
    Even though some smartphones are cool looking, ones in the past, such as sliders.

Samsung smartphones have always looked boring after the S2, they all look basically the same(especially when they still had a home button).

I've seen a lot of threads on a lot of sites with people talking about the old phones they loved. why make phones that look boring as dirt?

Think about a few nice looking examples like the RAZR &other motorolas, sanyo katana, the nice samsung flips like convoy,A900,rugby, ETC.
    Those are ones to love easily.

Those NICE ONES need to be remade and look the same as they were.
    And forget about the remade RAZR, it's just android and a touch screen, it's not like the real RAZR.

I enjoy discussing and reading posts from years ago about flip phones,
    especially reading about their file transfer issues by locked down USB ports and bluetooth and articles about how to hack into them to export files, thankfully there was bitpim and cellebrite.

Iphones were cool in 2007/08 when they were a new idea, but they're boring now because they are too common, nothing to be excited about anymore.
    Think about this... a $500 brand new, nice looking smart phone(whether it's iphone 12, S20, note 10), but it sure won't be worth that much in a year after it's been used(even gently used).

And the new basic phones that are still made... kaiOS...boring!

I wish people would've made articles articles in the past about rooting&flashing basic phones instead of all about androids.

How many pissed off people agree with me?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can reminisce about the old phone models all you want, but unless you want to start manufacturing your own phones, it won't make any difference. Getting upset about it won't do anything either.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    I don't look for coolness in a phone, I want the functionality that I need at a price I am willing to pay.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Phone discussions were more interesting in years past, when they were more restrictive and less capable. I do miss the old Nokia but wouldn't want to go back to it.

Feedback Score
    I miss the small size, weight, and battery life of flip phones. I do not miss texting with a numeric keypad or only having voice and text service. Yeah, one of my flip phones had rudimentary web it was nearly useless.

Smartphones are tabula rasa for apps. The phone isn't cool. The apps are cool - very cool. I have no interest in going back.

I don't have any nostalgia for party-line landline phones or carbureted cars either.

Feedback Score
    So with iPhone you can update to the latest OS without buying a new phone.

In the old days part of the desire for a new phone was to have new and enhanced features. Firmware updates were few and far between.

I keep wondering if Satellite phones might get more interesting and affordable sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Voice used to be a useful way to contact folks also. Now with the rise of the scammers, almost nobody answers a call from a number not in their contacts. Many people never listen to their voicemail. Voice calls just aren’t that useful anymore except for calling doctors offices/companies where someone is paid to answer the phone.

I moved to smartphones relatively early. Mostly it was Symbian or Blackberry, although I always also kept a reliable flip or bar phone nearby. Back then, if you called someone, they would usually pick up.

But yeah, now it is all flat slabs. I still miss the physical keyboard on a blackberry or something like the Nokia E90.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Voice used to be a useful way to contact folks also. Now with the rise of the scammers, almost nobody answers a call from a number not in their contacts. Many people never listen to their voicemail. Voice calls just aren’t that useful anymore except for calling doctors offices/companies where someone is paid to answer the phone.

I moved to smartphones relatively early. Mostly it was Symbian or Blackberry, although I always also kept a reliable flip or bar phone nearby. Back then, if you called someone, they would usually pick up.

But yeah, now it is all flat slabs. I still miss the physical keyboard on a blackberry or something like the Nokia E90.
    Many of us miss all that from the past. At least when we activate a cellular line and device today, we can do so without including voicemail. This is not so bad since text messaging is now very popular. Then there are some or the few who have not yet adapted to text or who do not have suitable equipment/devices for it.

Feedback Score
    Cell phones have become such a commodity these days that it's not uncommon to even see homeless people with a smartphone of some sort. Smartphones are less the emphasis these days with more emphasis being put on the apps themselves. The smartphone is more or less the vessel for the killer app.

Besides, why fix what isn't broken? The current slate that we see as standard works for the majority of people. When I think back to 2007, I got my first smartphone as the HTC Mogul because it did more productive things like access the web and tether its connection to my laptop. You had sliders and maybe some other gimmicks like the Moto Rockr that acted as an mp3 phone, but were these really all that great if you look past the nostalgia of getting a phone that had that one "killer app" like mp3 playback?