Thread: Cricket Data Only Questions

Feedback Score

Cricket Data Only Questions

Are the Cricket Data Only plans throttled like the typical Cricket cellphone plans?

Are the typical Cricket cellphone plans still throttled?

I'm on the old 5 for $100 plan (5GB?) - which for me personally works fine. Speeds seem to range wildly from 1.3mbps to 5.2mbps download speeds and 156kbps to 6mbps upload speeds. But I don't know how much of that is a Cricket throttle or if it's deprioritization on that AT&T tower. I assume that this old plan is still throttled - but I don't know if the current Cricket plans still use a hard throttle or if they are just deprioritized.

I don't really need huge speeds - 5mbps both ways would probably be just fine, obviously closer to 10mbps would be even better.

This is at a location where there are zero Internet options other than cellphone and I guess GEO satellite, but I don't really want to invest in the cost for HughesNet or Exede - especially when I don't think they'll be any better than the cellular options. Long term, Starlink MIGHT be an option, but I'm currently too far south, haven't gotten an invite yet, and don't really know if I want to invest that much in the startup cost. But if the reports on Starlink remain true, I'd probably be more willing to invest in the startup cost for Starlink than I would for HughesNet or Exede.

I've been trying out different (cheap) cellphone services at the location.

With Visible I've determined that the connecting Verizon tower - which appears to be just one tower on Band 13 - is vastly congested. Still, this is the cheapest option at $25/mo - and if you pamper the connection, I can usually get enough bandwidth to do what I need - I'm just left wondering if there's a better option.

My personal Cricket phone (which I really don't want to leave dedicated for this project) has speeds that fluctuate. But I'm wondering if the Data Only plans would exhibit this same behavior?

I'm also stuck on whether the AT&T Prepaid 15GB for $40/mo might be a better option.

How does Cricket and AT&T throttle and deprioritize connections? Are there layers to their deprioritization? Does AT&T Prepaid get treated as a higher priority than Cricket?

15GB would probably be enough - although, obviously the 20GB provided by Cricket on their $35/mo plan would be better... and cheaper. But if the Cricket Data Only plan is crippled, either with a speed cap or a lower prioritization level, then perhaps the AT&T Prepaid $40 plan would be better.

What's the incentive to go to the AT&T Prepaid 15GB $40/mo plan over the Cricket Data Only 20GB $35/mo plan?

It's possible that the AT&T tower is congested just like the Verizon tower - since there's no Internet options in this area - everybody is either using AT&T Wireless or Verizon Wireless for their home Internet. The AT&T tower (according to cellmapper) does appear to have more bands available (12, 14, 17, 66), that would lead me to believe that it's potentially got more backhaul bandwidth available to it and perhaps less congested - but my varying speeds on my personal Cricket line would seem to give at least some credence that the tower is overloaded.

Feedback Score
    if you use more than 50% of data wile roaming in a 3 month period, you'll be slowed to 2G speed - https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...226901ce2d4d2c you may also be subject to deprioritization.

Feedback Score
    Are the Cricket Data Only plans throttled like the typical Cricket cellphone plans?
    The data only plans are not throttled but they do have hard cutoffs if you exceed the limit depending on which plan you purchase.

Are the typical Cricket cellphone plans still throttled?
    Yes, the typical plan is still limited to a max 8Mbps except the $60 plan.

My personal Cricket phone (which I really don't want to leave dedicated for this project) has speeds that fluctuate. But I'm wondering if the Data Only plans would exhibit this same behavior?
    I would assume so since the data only plan is routed from the same source, a cell phone tower somewhere.

How does Cricket and AT&T throttle and deprioritize connections? Are there layers to their deprioritization? Does AT&T Prepaid get treated as a higher priority than Cricket?
    I'm not sure exactly but it's widely believed there's an established pecking order: postpaid, prepaid, MVNOs. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

What's the incentive to go to the AT&T Prepaid 15GB $40/mo plan over the Cricket Data Only 20GB $35/mo plan?
    The incentive is that you can call and text with your ATT prepaid plan where Cricket does not allow calls or text on their data only plans.

Feedback Score
    If the AT&T Prepaid plans are higher up the priority list then that would seem to set them apart from the Cricket plans.

I'm only interested in the data aspect of these plans. The talk and text on the AT&T Prepaid plan is irrelevant for the purpose of this project.

And since I'm almost certain that 15GB would be enough data - it's really a question of whether it's worth $5/mo to be higher up the priority chain on the tower.

Feedback Score
    I'm not certain you will any prioritization if your tower is not congested.

But if I were you, I'd go with Cricket since the data won't be artificially speed limited and you'd also receive more for your data in addition.