Thread: T-Mobile’s Ray predicts 5G claims will haunt rivals

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The gloves are coming off...

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I haven't been quoting any of my speed tests because:
    1) I know that T-Mobile has not fully deployed all their spectrum in my market. Not by a long shot.
    2) Until quite recently, I was using a phone with only 2CA.

So, my results would not look like others' results.
    1. Is a 100% valid point. Tmobile 5G speeds will increase with the deployment of their midband holdings. No doubt. I also don't expect the other carriers to stand still and do nothing either. I expect 5G speeds to increase across all 3 networks as the networks mature. Its impossible to really predict what those networks will look like in 5 years, as we don't know what will happen. 5 years ago it would of been hard to predict tmobile would be a spectrum leader today.

2. Are there 5G devices only capable of 2CA?

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's not so much as "any 5g phones with only 2xCA" but more of "How many 5g devices haven't had their upgrades allowing at least 2xCA. Some markets, it won't matter.
    When I originally received my LG Velvet, it was 5G NSA but only would connect to 1 band of LTE. Software update fixed that. One plus 8 was kind of similar, but required 2 updates. One for SA, and one for LTE CA with NSA.

Many areas may have B4 LTE with n71 only. Places like San Luis Obispo county have PCS currently on WCDMA and GSM only. Long term that won't be an issue

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    It's not so much as "any 5g phones with only 2xCA" but more of "How many 5g devices haven't had their upgrades allowing at least 2xCA. Some markets, it won't matter.
    When I originally received my LG Velvet, it was 5G NSA but only would connect to 1 band of LTE. Software update fixed that. One plus 8 was kind of similar, but required 2 updates. One for SA, and one for LTE CA with NSA.

Many areas may have B4 LTE with n71 only. Places like San Luis Obispo county have PCS currently on WCDMA and GSM only. Long term that won't be an issue

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    This is true, but, my...argument isn't the right word, but I'll use it, my argument isn't tmobile 5g won't ever improve, or it's bad or lagging behind in any way. Quite the contrary, I believe tmobile is ahead in the 5G race and currently is positioned as a leader in the market. My argument is it's hard for Neville to say verizon marketing their network as 5g built right is a disservice to their customers who expect 5G to deliver meaningful speed, when right now the majority of tmobile 5G users are stuck on low band 5G and also not seeing any meaningful speed increase with it. Then to use ooklas data as proof of this, while failing to mention that tmobile is only averaging 4mbs down faster. I get that it's his job to do so, and it was an investor conference and he's paid to hype his brand, got no issues with that and ain't mad at him for it, do your thing neville, but, just pointing out it's a little disingenuous I guess. Another thing is tmobiles national 5G average has remained close to the same now for a few months, this either suggests people aren't seeing major speed increases on midband 5G (highly unlikely) or low band 5G speeds are dipping due to more people on the network (more likely).
    Last edited by Theghostlad82; 11-25-2020 at 07:31 AM.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    The gloves are coming off... ....
    He who lives in a glass house.......

You also need to read T-Mobile's 5G claims with a magnifying glass in one hand and a dictionary in the other.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Lol. You are absolutely right about T-mobile and their carefully crafted Terms of Service!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2