Thread: Can a new, never before activated , unlocked BYOP be activated on TracFone?

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ , S20+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Can a new, never before activated , unlocked BYOP be activated on TracFone?

I purchased a new Galaxy S20+ (Verizon branded) BYOP off eBay. Apparently the phone was a floor display model or stocked at one of the Best Buy stores recently closed in last year, thus locked to Verizon?

My plan was to activate it using a Verizon Compatible SIM from TracFone. I received 2 Verizon Compatible SIMs from TF. Both were "incompatible" with the S20+ according to TF activation attempts with Customer Service.

So I after some difficulty, was able to activate the S20+ with Verizon Prepaid.

I heard some where that TF can only unlock and activate BYOP phones that were in service at least 60 days with their locked carriers? Is this true? Then I should be able to activate with TF in couple months from now.

Verizon Prepaid is not a terrible deal, by the way. Their least expensive plan includes 2G data, unlimited talk & text for $35/month. $5/month discount for AutoPay and $15/month Loyalty Discount after 9 months. Then its just $15/month Verizon Prepaid cost after 9 months (plus tax&fees).

UPDATE: Verizon Postpaid and Prepaid require new Verizon branded phones never activated to be activated 60 days before (unlocking), or being able to move them to a different carrier including MVNOs.
    Last edited by joshiii; 12-01-2020 at 03:19 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joshiii View Post
    My plan was to activate it using a Verizon Compatible SIM from TracFone. I received 2 Verizon Compatible SIMs from TF. Both were "incompatible" with the S20+ according to TF activation attempts with Customer Service.

I heard some where that TF can only unlock and activate BYOP phones that were in service at least 60 days with their locked carriers? Is this true? Then I should be able to activate with TF in couple months from now.
    To activate a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, you need to provide the IMEI of a phone that's on Verizon "whitelist". You can go through the steps on TF web site to activate a BYOP SIM, select Verizon, and it'll ask you to enter the IMEI, then tells you if it's compatible (i.e. on the whitelist). A "capable" phone might not be on Verizon's whitelist for various reasons (reported stolen, not yet met contract/service agreement, non-US phone, etc). I suspect that your phones fall into the 2nd category. Once they've met the service agreement, it'll be Verizon that unlocks and puts them on their whitelist. It's not Tracfone's responsibility.

Feedback Score
    You bought a locked Verizon phone.
    You can't buy a BYOP phone, only an unlocked phone that will accept a BYOP TracFone sim.

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    You might try the IMEI on Page Plus website. If it takes it, the SIM is 99c. 6c/min, 5c/megabyte.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ , S20+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Verizon: We do not lock phones to our network (we just make them incompatible with other carriers unless they have been activated Postpaid or Prepaid with Verizon for at least 60 days)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joshiii View Post
    ...Verizon Prepaid is not a terrible deal, by the way. Their least expensive plan includes 2G data, unlimited talk & text for $35/month. $5/month discount for AutoPay and $15/month Loyalty Discount after 9 months. Then its just $15/month Verizon Prepaid cost after 9 months (plus tax&fees).
    VZW Prepaid UTT 2GB $15 mo + taxes/fees after 9 mo? This doesn't seem correct. Link please.

UPDATE:
    https://www.verizon.com/about/news/m...fac26d03a6a51c
    After 9 mo:
    $25 for 5GB
    $35 for 15GB
    $50 for unlimited data
    Last edited by zapjb; 12-01-2020 at 12:48 AM.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ , S20+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    VZW Prepaid UTT 2GB $15 mo + taxes/fees after 9 mo? This doesn't seem correct. Link please.

UPDATE:
    https://www.verizon.com/about/news/m...fac26d03a6a51c
    After 9 mo:
    $25 for 5GB
    $35 for 15GB
    $50 for unlimited data
    You don't have the Verizon Prepaid Unlimited Text & Data (Least Expensive) $35/mo Option on the Verizon Prepaid webpage at your location? In fine print, it says it comes with 2Gig of Data, but at 2G speeds. On my S20+ looks like Daya is working on 4G/LTE and sometimes 5G with it. I have not done a speed test with it yet though. UpstateSC here.

I only planning to stay with Verizon Prepaid 60 days, then will TRANSFER my current TF number and minutes to my S20+ and deactivate my S8+. 60 days is Verizon requirement to auto unlocking their branded phones. Verizon: "We do not lock our phones" (we just make them incompatible with other carriers for the the first 60 days).