Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Google voice DND schedule allow certain callers through

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Google voice DND schedule allow certain callers through

Did this concept ever work? IE... DND schedule say 10pm-8am. But certain callers should be permitted through. Something to do with calling groups if I recall?

Use case is the house phone which goes gv -> callcentric --> obi1/obi2 (hunt group). If this cannot be done with gv then im pretty sure it can be done with call treatments directly in cc.

Feedback Score
    If that was previously possible, I didn't know it.

I had one of my GV #s set for no calls between 7a and 10a, which worked fine, but that was the extent of my call treatment usage. I turned that off back in August when I started working from home, before the legacy GV site was changed.

It does look like "Use custom schedule" is still an option. But like I said, I had never looked into the possibility of letting certain calls through.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe it was wishful remembering. There's the callcentric work around - bit of a pita it will require 7 entries, one for each day. Also requires further thought where to actually insert them with respect to existing treatments. That is, call treatments are processed top to bottom in terms of priority. There's 6 or 7 already present for various tasks such as spam filtering, and other purposes.

The new cordless phones arrived late last night (1930 ups delivery!#@). Turns out they too have a DND function with an option to allow bypass selected for selected callers. I think this is the easiest option to implement. This is what we ordered - https://www.costco.com/panasonic-kx-...100494433.html Panasonic KX-TG985 .

Feedback Score
    That's a great looking DECT 6.0 / Bluetooth set, with a lot of features, and at a great price, too!

I've had the much more basic Uniden DECT1580-4 since 2009, and I have never once had a problem with them. I used it with AT&T POTS until I cancelled that and have used it with an Obi200 since 2015. I really love how well the speakerphone works on them. I just replaced the first battery on one of the handsets late last year.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The old vtech phones have seen better days. Batteries don't last as long, rf reception failing too. This was a good deal.

I also took this opportunity to finally get rid of an old 20+ yr old answering machine and use VM in the cloud (callcentric). This is not without its pitfalls though.

There's 2 obi's in play here with the same number on both, configured in a hunting manner on callcentric. Before, if a line was in use, google vm (30 second timeout) would capture the call. Or, if the line was left off hook, the 2nd obi would ring (because first extension is "unavailable"). Now, that doesn't seem to be the case since gv is out of the picture, all vm falls on callcentric to handle. Now, if call waiting is not responded to, it rings the 2nd line regardless rather than going to vm. I don't see any elegant way around this without doing a bunch of custom asterisk (pbx) call flow programming or eliminating the 2nd line altogether.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Now, that doesn't seem to be the case since gv is out of the picture, all vm falls on callcentric to handle. Now, if call waiting is not responded to, it rings the 2nd line regardless rather than going to vm.
    I'm trying to follow you here......but failing miserably.

Why is GV "out of the picture?" Aren't you still forwarding from GV to Callcentric?

I also have 2 OBi devices with the same number on each and I use Panasonic DECT phones (I figured you for an IP Phone guy). I forward from GV to Callcentric and also to a virtual DID at Voip.ms via IPCOMMS. But I still use GV voicemail. If you are still forwarding from GV how are you bypassing GV's voicemail? I also use Callcentric's vm but only if the caller matches a condition in a call treatment that routes to vm immediately in which case neither phone rings.

Just curious. How many hops between you and ping.callcentric.com? I have 8. Used to be 13 and I would occasionally notice lag. Not now.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Once call is handed off to CC, gv is out of the picture as far as any vm handling. Call treatment is set up such that it directs the call to an ivr. I'll post the picture below rather than try to describe what the ivr does.

https://i.imgur.com/Nk3PSsm.png

The reason for this is to allow CC full control of the call rather than GV intercepting after 25 or 30 seconds. This was done for 2 reasons; to allow one common place for vm, and allow sufficient time to ring the 2nd ATA in case the first is off hook/not hung up properly.

I'd love to go full IP phones, but at $60+tax, this was a no brainer. The senior in the house needs simple solutions. Having to check vm at both gv & cc is too complicated. This way at least if there's a vm, there's big message on the handset lcd and the strange dial tone when trying to dial out.

I get 21ms to ping.callcentric.com

Code:
      1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  utm.local.domain [firewall IP]
      2     2 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  [ISP GATEWAY IP]
      3     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  71.151.37.126
      4     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  71.145.64.224
      5     5 ms     3 ms     3 ms  12.83.43.25
      6     4 ms     3 ms     3 ms  cgcil403igs.ip.att.net [12.122.133.33]
      7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      8    23 ms    22 ms    23 ms  be2765.ccr41.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.45.17]
      9    23 ms    23 ms    23 ms  be2717.ccr21.cle04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.6.222]
     10    20 ms    22 ms    20 ms  be2889.ccr41.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.47.50]
     11    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  be2896.rcr23.jfk01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.84.202]
     12    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  be2803.rcr21.b001362-2.jfk01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.45.230]
     13    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  gi0-0-0-0.nr11.b001361-0.jfk01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.24.54.226]
     14    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  38.140.121.194
     15    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  www-farm1.callcentric.com [199.87.151.65]
    My own inbound calls go gv ---> CC --> pbx -- > softphone. I want to say I notice more lag on outbound calls (pbx --> gv --> PSTN) than inbound. Most times it depends what the other party is using.. Corp voip phones and cell phones are sometimes really bad.

What's the purpose of the virtual DID & ipcomms?

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Ah yes, an IVR explains all. That was the only way I could think of that you could avoid GV vm but since you hadn't mentioned it (that I noticed) I was confused.

Your reasoning makes perfect sense.

Interesting you have way more hops than I do to Callcentric but your ping time is less. Mine averages 85ms. I think someone on DSLR (maybe Stewart?) convinced me that hop count was more important than ping time as far as lag goes. And my personal experience (going from 13 hops to 8) convinced me he was right. When my hop count dropped to 8 my ping time went from 110ms to 85ms. Probably a combination of both factors.

Well the IPCOMMS DID is free (but no longer available?) and you can forward via SIP URI. Also, they seem to only use premium routes. When my father was alive who was very hard of hearing, I would only use IPCOMMS to call him because the call quality was always great. Outbound over PSTN is .01/minute. So I use it as a backup outbound route if GV is acting up. IPCOMMS spoofs my outbound PSTN calls with my GV number. I use IP authentication with them since I don't register. They require it.
    Voip.ms because I had ported my old home Verizon/Frontier landline to them years ago so I already had an account with them. And they are the only ITSP that I know of that offers a virtual DID.* Cost is .25/month and .001/minute. Even though I'm routing from GV to IPCOMMS to Voip.ms the call quality is great. I'm a fan of SIP URI calling when possible. My average monthly Voip.ms cost is ~$1.50.

*Yes, I could forward to Callcentric via SIP URI but they strip out any CNAM info coming with the call and won't do a CNAM lookup on any SIP URI calls. Pisses me off. I don't know of any other ITSP that has this restriction.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It probably wasn't mentioned because it may just confuse the folks here GV is such a finicky creature. I don't think there's any way to implement a MWI on the obi if there's a new message on GV?

Re hops; my connection is fiber. This neighborhood is primarily comcast and single family homes, resulting in always available bw/no congestion at any time day or night (for now). So ping times are usually very low to most places.

I have an ipcomms DID too, but rarely use it, mostly as a backup.

I thought the ipcomms/voip.ms did some other fancy function in my use case. Thanks for explaining.

Our total cost is $4 a month for the land lines to CC. This includes 2 DIDs (one for fax), and the 120 min outbound plan for e911. The minutes rarely get used unless gv is down.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I don't think there's any way to implement a MWI on the obi if there's a new message on GV?
    Right. When Google changed to token-based authentication MWI stopped working. Same with those using 2FA. Can't use 2FA credentials or oauth2 tokens to login and check for new VMs.

So I'm guessing email/sms notifications of new GV voicemail doesn't cut it?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The end user of all this is technology limited, so checking pc for emails & handset is too much. Also it confuses some callers as they expect to hear one greeting but hear a different one depending which system answers. I suppose I could create identical messages on both.

GV vm is used for DND hours. I don't think gv lets one set a different greeting for DND vs nonDND.

It would be nice if gv had more granular control over its function. You get what you pay for.......

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Now, if call waiting is not responded to, it rings the 2nd line regardless rather than going to vm. I don't see any elegant way around this without doing a bunch of custom asterisk (pbx) call flow programming or eliminating the 2nd line altogether.
    So your goal is to have incoming calls go straight to CC voicemail if the line is in use and not failover to the second extension because of call hunting? Is that correct?

What happens if, in Extensions in My Callcentric, you change Call Waiting to be "Send calls to voicemail?"

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Where do you see the call waiting option? Err. I need to read better... you point out exactly where it's at!!!

N/m I see it under extensions. They offer 3 options.. On (current), send to vm, send to error message.

Ideally the goal is to only hunt if primary line is off hook. The senior sometimes forget to hang up after a call. Or presses the button thinking its registered the hangup but didn't press sufficiently for a hang up to take place.

I will try setting that to send to VM and test.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Setting extension to VM under callwaiting didn't help.

It still rings the other line in the hunt sequence if the first line is unanswered. If the 2nd line is removed from the hunt sequence then vm kicks in while on a call on the first. I need that 2nd line to ring somehow¿?

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Tough crowd.

Would either of these parameters on the OBi be of help?

CallForwardOnBusyEnable and/or
    CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable

If so, you could make the forwarding number be your Callcentric SIP URI address. Then make a Call treatment that sent any calls to that number directly to voicemail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast