Feedback Score

iPhone 12 unexpectedly dropping 5G and LTE service for some users

I came across this news article https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/01/iphon...-unexpectedly/ and thought it was important to spread the word. Apparently many users are reporting losing service when the phone switches between towers during travel or driving.

Phone
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Yes I’m getting no service. Only fix is to turn phone off and on. Frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Phone
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That's one hell of an issue. Given the current deployment of 5g esp on T-Mobile, that will have you in and out of service often.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Phone
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    That’s not good.

Hopefully it’s isolated or easily fixed.

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score

iPhone 12 unexpectedly dropping 5G and LTE service for some users

If this is specific to 5G, a software update might be all it needs. The cell companies have all these variations of 5G and then we get a new phone with a new antenna and the public anxiously awaiting and conscious of 5G so it is possible there are some issues to work out.

I would hope Apple has used a good antenna system and it was properly assembled during this trying year.

Has anyone seen an acknowledgment from Apple on this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phone
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have the iPhone 12 pro for about a months think I’ve had the issue. I was using iHeartRadio and all of sudden it would stop abs you’d have to start it again. Didn’t think much of it at the time but I think it’s the signal drop talked about here. Battery life is far better than the Xs it replaced - last all day till I go to sleep and still have 40% charge

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Happening to me too! Even in decent service areas, where I usually get 2 bars I’m getting 0, then a few minutes later it corrects itself from No Service to having a few bars of LTE. 12Mini here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phone
    Blackberry Curve 8320
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes I usually have five bars here at home. It says 5g now but looking at the status screen it appears to be lte with carrier aggregation turned on . It’s fast like before and maybe a little faster but yes I didn’t think anything of it that it was an issue w I heart a d then I read about this and it’s exactly the issue ..

Phone
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I dunno if it is specific to 5G though. I have a similar issue with my iPhone SE (1st Gen) just dropping to no service at random, and I can be standing in the same spot. I just figured it was perhaps a network issue, but it now happens in areas where I'm standing right next to the towers.

It would make sense if it was only in the bathroom of my home, which seems to be a trouble area for signal for any carrier. However, when I'm at work too, can go from 3 bars LTE/3G to suddenly dropping to no service, and theres a tower just a couple blocks away - and another tower 6 blocks away. I am on iOS 14, perhaps it is a software glitch with 14.

It may have something to do with how the iPhone switches beween tech (3G, 4G, 5G) that leads to a glitch where the software - for some odd reason - turns off / resets the modem. It's probably no help when coupled with the fact that the 1 antenna for everything (at least in my iPhone) is a tiny metal plate, smaller than your pinky nail, pressed against the corner of the phone - allowing your hand to block the signal.

I actually took my phone in to have the tech at least test and replace the modem. They told me that my modem was working properly and was properly connected to the device, which is why I speculate it to be a software issue - and apparently a long running one that hasn't been too noticealbe till now.
    (Considering how 5G and 4G intertwine at this point in time.)

I've also noticed that when my phone is on "standby/sleep" (screen off) for any length of time, it cuts the connections to all but the lowest tech data signal (it even cuts my wifi, which would be the strongest signal in my house) and that is usually when it will cut to "no service" randomly the most.
    Last edited by jmac32here; 12-05-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Phone
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalker3 View Post
    Yes I usually have five bars here at home. It says 5g now but looking at the status screen it appears to be lte with carrier aggregation turned on . It’s fast like before and maybe a little faster but yes I didn’t think anything of it that it was an issue w I heart a d then I read about this and it’s exactly the issue ..
    Wait, the 12 gets 5 bars on iOS 14? Every iPhone I've seen it was either 4 dots or 4 bars at most. My iOS 14 SE shows spots for only up to 4 bars.

Phone
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    I dunno if it is specific to 5G though. I have a similar issue with my iPhone SE (1st Gen) just dropping to no service at random, and I can be standing in the same spot. I just figured it was perhaps a network issue, but it now happens in areas where I'm standing right next to the towers.

It would make sense if it was only in the bathroom of my home, which seems to be a trouble area for signal for any carrier. However, when I'm at work too, can go from 3 bars LTE/3G to suddenly dropping to no service, and theres a tower just a couple blocks away - and another tower 6 blocks away. I am on iOS 14, perhaps it is a software glitch with 14.

It may have something to do with how the iPhone switches beween tech (3G, 4G, 5G) that leads to a glitch where the software - for some odd reason - turns off / resets the modem. It's probably no help when coupled with the fact that the 1 antenna for everything (at least in my iPhone) is a tiny metal plate, smaller than your pinky nail, pressed against the corner of the phone - allowing your hand to block the signal.

I actually took my phone in to have the tech at least test and replace the modem. They told me that my modem was working properly and was properly connected to the device, which is why I speculate it to be a software issue - and apparently a long running one that hasn't been too noticealbe till now.
    (Considering how 5G and 4G intertwine at this point in time.)

I've also noticed that when my phone is on "standby/sleep" (screen off) for any length of time, it cuts the connections to all but the lowest tech data signal (it even cuts my wifi, which would be the strongest signal in my house) and that is usually when it will cut to "no service" randomly the most.
    Though taking into consideration, while I may have noticed tiny differences between tmo and sprint with my Android devices, the iPhone made this difference and coverage issues more pronounced.

Like most of my signal issues that have become more obvious were after i switched to the iPhone.