Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Has T-Mobile Coverage Outside Cities Improved Recently?

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The question will be ... Where? If many of these sites are for 5g on 2500 or mmwave, then many will be urban) suburban.
    Of course the next question will be When?

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    The question will be ... Where? If many of these sites are for 5g on 2500 or mmwave, then many will be urban) suburban.
    Of course the next question will be When?...
    T-Mobile's and Sprint's coverage footprints were not wildly different in most places. Yes, there are a dozen or so Sprint towers around here I'd really like to see T-Mobile keep. Often their sites are colocated on the same towers.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    T-Mobile's and Sprint's coverage footprints were not wildly different in most places. Yes, there are a dozen or so Sprint towers around here I'd really like to see T-Mobile keep. Often their sites are colocated on the same towers.
    The colo thing is common here too, at least when it came to LTE coverage so LTE seems to have gotten integrated pretty darn fast here.
    Last edited by jmac32here; 01-01-2021 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Wow I can't spell.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    I read somewhere today that T-Mobile intends to keep something like 20,000 sites (or build up that much more) from the merger.

Pretty sure that would help improve coverage in some areas.

Now if only I could re-locate the article I saw that information so I could link to it.
    It's in the T-Mo earnings report conference call.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    This whole Sprint Network shutdown is emotionally draining. I hope these new phones Sprint customers get - work seamlessly on T-mobile's Network. And that they move on to a working and problem free network. They can do this if they get it "right" like Verizon!

I remember when Sprint decommissioned their IDEN network. Boy were there gaps in coverage and an increased amount of dead zones. It wasn't fun trying to figure out why you lost service or coverage where you had it before. Do you plan to do the same TMobile?

Let's see if TMobile's money is worth spending on some of their speculative claims they make day in and day out.

We really want this company to work, find synergies, savings and go on to successfully compete against Ma Bell and Big Red! Can you do this T-mobile? Go on - Speak ...
    I feel ya on this.

If you think hearing about it is draining, imagine keeping daily tabs on it and reading up on it daily to sometimes get contradicting information.

When the merger first closed, the original plan was to integrate the networks (and shutdown CDMA) "within 3 years." (2023)
    This means this all could happen between now and then.

Jul 2, 2020:
    T-Mobile shuts down Sprint's 5G network as the two carriers continue to integrate
    Sprint's 5G network shutdown will leave owners of early Sprint 5G phones in the lurch, since these devices cannot access T-Mobile 5G.
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/2/21...ternet-devices

Things get kind of quiet for a while with no formal announcements or updates regarding the integration.
    However, users on here, Twitter, and Reddit - myself included - start mentioning that they are beginning to notice changes in the networks.
    Some begin reporting increasing network issues for both - laying claims both networks are going to crap.
    Some are noticing gaps in coverage as well that were not there before.
    Others, like myself start noticing changes in LTE coverage. Some areas that had only B26 suddenly have no LTE coverage and devices are getting only 3G. Especially users who don't have access to T-Mobile's network - like myself on the MVNO Tello.
    Others begin to notice changes in speeds.

October 8, 2020:
    T-Mobile is now offering most Sprint smartphone customers that use the Sprint cellular network the ability to choose the "T-Mobile Network Experience" - aka TNX.
    This process allows Sprint customers to keep their device, rate plan, and features by merely changing the SIM card they use.
    This process also migrates Sprint customers directly onto T-Mobile's network.
    https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/the...int-customers/

October 9, 2020:
    Tello then begins to announce on their own BLOG their intentions to migrate customers to the "new GSM network."
    Tello gives a timeline that seems to indicate that CDMA service could quit working by the "middle of 2021."
    However, their rollout got dealyed, so they now have pushed that back to the "end of 2021" with plans to go live Q1 2021.
    https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-an...giants-merger/

11/6/2020:
    Mike Sievert comes out and says they are way ahead of schedule on Sprint network integration.
    Also says 100 million people will be covered by T-Mobile US 2.5 GHz 5G by year-end, nationwide by the end of 2021.
    Neville Ray said that 15% of Sprint postpaid traffic has been migrated over to the T-Mobile network.
    This is pretty fast, since TNX is only about a month old.
    In terms of site decommissioning, the target is to turn down 35,000 sites in the coming years, leaving 12,000 to 13,000 Sprint sites that need to be attached to the T-Mobile network. The target network site range is between 80,000 and 85,000 sites, Ray said.
    He said the integration/decommissioning plan is tracking ahead of schedule and will really start to ramp (up) next year. (2021)
    https://www.rcrwireless.com/20201106...rk-integration

December 9, 2020:
    T-Mobile CEO Mike Sievert says that the shut down of Sprint's network will really get underway in 2022.
    (Even though Neville Ray stated last month it would ramp up in 2021.)
    Sievert also stated that they had already begun the integration and shutdown process "on a limited basis" and that the process would continue into 2021.
    (At this point, even my head is spinning a bit since it appears no one seems to have anything "set in stone" on this process. It could be next year or the year after that - depending on who you ask.)
    https://www.tmonews.com/2020/12/t-mo...shutdown-2022/

December 29, 2020:
    In a notice sent to its business customers, T-Mobile says it "intends to shut down the Sprint CDMA Network on or around January 1, 2022".
    The capacity and coverage of the network will likely change between now and the time the network is fully shut down.
    T-Mobile will also no longer support CDMA-only phones without VoLTE capability for activation after January 1, 2021.
    This notice was sent to business customers so it may only apply to them.
    However, it does create a timeline where the actual network would be turned off and consumer accounts have reportedly been getting messages to migrate to TNX and others report not easily being able to keep Sprint SIM's with device changes.
    Now the bulk of the network would be fully decommed after its turned down for sure.
    However, they more than likely would turn down sites that offer overlapping coverage and densification before then - which seems to be indicated by the "coverage of the network will likely change" part of the letter. (So this could start up now for all we know.)
    https://www.androidheadlines.com/202...t-network.html

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Shutting down CDMA shouldn't be a big issue. That is primarily voice and text. Voice / text capacity of T-Mobile should be more than enough to handle it. Data and coverage differences would be the bigger concern. By now, T-mobile should have already assessed which areas need attention. Older devices that don't support VoLTE, B66, B12 or B71 will be the biggest issue, IMHO

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Shutting down CDMA shouldn't be a big issue. That is primarily voice and text. Voice / text capacity of T-Mobile should be more than enough to handle it. Data and coverage differences would be the bigger concern. By now, T-mobile should have already assessed which areas need attention. Older devices that don't support VoLTE, B66, B12 or B71 will be the biggest issue, IMHO

Only thing that could make it an issue is if not everyone is offloaded beforehand, especially MVNOs that didn't get VoLTE.

Other than that, I think things are going rather smoothly, integration wise - even if a bit quickly.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Only thing that could make it an issue is if not everyone is offloaded beforehand, especially MVNOs that didn't get VoLTE.

Other than that, I think things are going rather smoothly, integration wise - even if a bit quickly.
    I'd feel sorry for the MVNO's. I suspect that its a 'configuration' issue on the SIM/backend for T-Mobile/MVNO, and possibly a handset, if the MVNO's handsets were never configured for VoLTE, or have the ability. I guess its up to the MVNO to push their users for new handsets if/when VoLTE becomes active for them. I know that my OnePlus 8's VoLTE works fine on Sprint B25/B26/B41.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd feel sorry for the MVNO's. I suspect that its a 'configuration' issue on the SIM/backend for T-Mobile/MVNO, and possibly a handset, if the MVNO's handsets were never configured for VoLTE, or have the ability. I guess its up to the MVNO to push their users for new handsets if/when VoLTE becomes active for them. I know that my OnePlus 8's VoLTE works fine on Sprint B25/B26/B41.
    I feel sorry for them because of Sprint.
    I won't feel sorry for them once they migrate to another network.

Many of them have quietly began migrating to some new network, whether its T-Mobile or someone else.
    Which also is explaining how I've been reading about customers "getting upgraded to HD Voice" on MVNOs like FreedomPop. (Who moved to ATT and dropped Sprint support.)

The only Sprint MVNO that actually made any announcements (Tello) did say the migration to the new network will require devices capable of VoLTE as well. So it looks like once they migrate, they will at least get that feature. (Still unsure about wifi calling)

Compatible devices will merely just get a new SIM card.

So there are some handsets that will need to be upgraded (namely older ones) but according to Tello anything made after 2018 should work as long as it has the T-Mobile bands. (Since nearly all devices after 2018 should apparently have VoLTE.)

Yet they also confirmed a device as old as the 1st generation iPhone SE will be compatible and have VoLTE, so I dunno.
    Last edited by jmac32here; 01-01-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Funny... 1st gen iPhone was 3g.
    This is an ongoing update of handset, that will become "normal" as networks, frequencies and technology change. I do suspect that IoT 5g (low power) standard will last longer than handsets, as embedded devices won't be serviced physically every 2 years. Of course, many may be software upgraded.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is an ongoing update of handset, that will become "normal" as networks, frequencies and technology change. I do suspect that IoT 5g (low power) standard will last longer than handsets, as embedded devices won't be serviced physically every 2 years. Of course, many may be software upgraded.

Oops, I forgot to add the SE part into my reply for the iPhone. I'll edit and add that it.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I thought the iPhone 1 (A1203) (2007) was 2G/2.5G (GSM, GPRS, EDGE)

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I thought the iPhone 1 (A1203) (2007) was 2G/2.5G (GSM, GPRS, EDGE)
    This is correct. 1st gen iPhone was edge. iPhone didn’t get 3g until a year later with the iPhone 3g.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I stand corrected. Most of the hype came out for 3g... And AT&Ts lack of network. I think I had a HTC at the time.

Feedback Score
    The 3G was my first iPhone then 4 months later the 3Gs came out and started the naming protocol Apple was so fond of.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast