Thread: Cheaper options?

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Cheaper options?

I might need to leave, if I can get something cheaper.
    Right now we're on a 3/$90 plan

Doing the work from home thing; so unlimited isn't an incentive anymore
    Looks like pay reduction is coming in the near future

We have 2 G7 powers err I mean Supra's that should be unlockable

Are there some cheap options out there? <$15/mo?
    I don't want to be completely w/o a phone/data as we still do drive a little

Is freedompop still a thing? I have an old sim from them back when you had to 'play games' with others to earn data or whatever.
    Mint?
    walmart.. Anyone done my homework for me?
    Alcatel idol 3

Feedback Score
    are you wanting to stay with AT&T or are you wanting to be on another network ??

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I put my M-I-L on Mint about a month ago after being on Ting forever.

Not a lot of experience yet, but so far so good. I did the $15/mo intro for three months (3GB/mo). Assuming nothing bad happens with the service before mid-January I will probably renew her for another 6 or 12 months to keep the costs low.

Feedback Score
    If you want to keep AT&T coverage, US Mobile has some family plan options without unlimited data.

And then there's also FreeUp Mobile and H2O wireless you can look into as well.

Feedback Score
    Puretalk USA has cheaper plans with various data levels. The cheapest is $20 per month which is more than you wanted to pay but there is a multi line discount and it’s ATT coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
    ...Anyone done my homework for me?
    Yes.

prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yes.

prepaidcompare.net
    There's so mamy crap hits when you try to search, it's nice to be able to ask others about their experiences on a dedicated web forum without being criticized for it.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinnedone View Post
    There's so mamy crap hits when you try to search, it's nice to be able to ask others about their experiences on a dedicated web forum without being criticized for it.
    There's many crap hits on prepaidcompare.net? That website is great and it should provide the results you're looking for if you use it correctly.
    Last edited by Dust N Bones; 12-07-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Feedback Score
    I have put quite a few friends and family on Red Pocket month by month or one of the money saver 360 day plans. On the monthly billed plans $19/30 days gets you 3GB on any network, auto paid by credit card. Here in my area, with a bit of tax/fees, total was $19.22 each month on a credit card. We always use their GSMA sims, which are on AT&T network. Been doing this for years. Recent Black Friday sale on 360 day service plans lowered the 3GB/30 day plan to $15 every 30 days, but I paid $180 up front for these to save that $4 per month. The popular eBay-only 8GB yearly plan worked out to just over $18 per month with $218 up-front cost. On this 360 day plan you get 8GB LTE data along with unlimited calling and SMS every 30 days. Your available data automatically resets back up to 8GB every 30 days: there is no data rollover to the next month on these yearly plans. It's "use it or lose it" as they say. Note, on the yearly plans you get an activation code to start the whole year plan. This code to activate your one year plan is good for only 90 days. So activate your plan before the code expires or you lose your money!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    If you want to keep AT&T coverage, US Mobile has some family plan options without unlimited data.

And then there's also FreeUp Mobile and H2O wireless you can look into as well.
    Some webpages , reports presented on YouTube, and the US Mobile website itself indicate it uses T-Mobile (and not AT&T).

Feedback Score
    I just switched from Mint to FreeUp -- they had the same deal of 8 gigs a month for $20 bucks a month, three months up front. Taxes and fees were normal, same as Mint.
    They also have a $15 a month plan with 3 gigs. I may switch to that when my three months were up (I don't even use a gig a month of data -- I just like the idea that I have it if I need it).
    As far as I know, the only thing cheaper than FreeUp with AT&T towers is Red Pocket, which I have never tried.
    But given the small difference in price, if FreeUP continues to be as good as it seems, I will keep using it just so I can also use the FreeUp app. You don't need the app for regular calls but it works for making wifi calls on unlocked phones where AT&T would otherwise block the wifi calling feature, which is a big plus in my book, as I love my Xiaomi phones.
    (AT&T blocks wifi calling on most unlocked devices that were not originally purchased from them). You also have to use the app to make international calls free, but using it was simple and call quality was great.
    Note: the app does not work at all with grandfathered FreeUP free accounts -- only with the new FreeUp paid accounts.
    I had a terrible experience with Mint -- error messages, dropped calls, calls going straight to voice mail, my phone adding a +1 for no reason at all -- it was very odd, as I previously had a TMO business account and my reception was much better.
    You didn't say what you are getting for what you are paying Cricket (Cricket was a nonstarter for me as I live in a one person household and their individual plans are pricey).

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm currently using a Supra on Crickets 10GB/$35.00/mo. with autopay. My service has been rock solid and I also have VoLTE and wifi calling.

Looking for cheaper options might be easy to do, but do these cheaper options come with better service/coverage? Or maybe that doesn't matter?

I did sign up with wing alpha an at&t mvno and while it's not the cheapest service either, it's not too outrageous and it offers quite a bit especially wifi calling/video calling/VoLTE. I also signed up for an account at tracfone and while it was cheap enough it had no wifi calling which I need. So, I had to move on from Tracfone.

So, I guess my point is that there will always be cheaper options out there you just have to decide if you can live with their limitations.

Feedback Score
    Red pocket. Can buy for the year super cheap. Mint is T-Mobile. Garbage service every time I've used it. AT&T or Verizon only for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mbellot View Post
    I put my M-I-L on Mint about a month ago after being on Ting forever.

Not a lot of experience yet, but so far so good. I did the $15/mo intro for three months (3GB/mo). Assuming nothing bad happens with the service before mid-January I will probably renew her for another 6 or 12 months to keep the costs low.
    US Mobile gives you U T&T and 5 GB for $15. $20 is with 12 GB, $25 with 18 GB. Monthly, no annual prepayment