Thread: Update iOS to a specific version

Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score

Update iOS to a specific version

Someone I know is still using iPhone 6s with iOS 10. She's giving her phone to someone and have to transfer her stuff to her new phone, but iOS 10 doesn't support phone yo phone setup, and her 6s cannot update to iOS 14. I think iOS 12.4 is the minimum requirement to use the phone to phone setup. Is there anyway she can update her 6s to iOS 12.4? Or what are her options to setup her new phone and transfer all her stuff over? She doesn't have access to a computer.

Feedback Score
    Not sure why her 6s can't update to iOS 14.2, the latest version. Many 6s users have already updated, and I've seen no reports of any failed attempts. also, her only update option is iOS 14.2 now. Apple only "signs" the current version, so it's the only update her phone will find. Her only options are to leave her phone on iOS10, or get the update to iOS 14.2 to work.

She can easily set up her new phone, and it will be on iOS 14.2 when done. She can use iCloud to move photos, contacts, messages (if she's been using iCloud for messages), and other data to her new phone. But she won't be able to restore any iCloud backups from her old phone unless she can first get it on iOS 14.2 and then back it up.

Yes, it's onerous. Thanks, Apple.

Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    I have no clue why she's not able to update from iOS 10 to iOS 14.2. I heard she tied several times but nothing happened.

I also have no clue what she wants to transfer to her new phone nor if she was using iCloud or not. I'd assume she wants to transfer her text, photos, and apps. I would assume apps are her least concern since she can download them again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3390 View Post
    I have no clue why she's not able to update from iOS 10 to iOS 14.2. I heard she tied several times but nothing happened.

I also have no clue what she wants to transfer to her new phone nor if she was using iCloud or not. I'd assume she wants to transfer her text, photos, and apps. I would assume apps are her least concern since she can download them again.
    first, check to see how much memory is left on the iphone 6s, you need at least about 5GB of free space
    to download and install the update. make sure that the phone is connected to WIFI and the battery is charged.
    might also try deleting the failed update and retry downloading the update again. - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201435

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    first, check to see how much memory is left on the iphone 6s, you need at least about 5GB of free space
    to download and install the update. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201435
    Nice catch! This is as likely as anything to be the problem.

Feedback Score
    I think in order to store iMessage in iCloud requires 2FA, I don't use 2FA since it's a little complicated for me

Feedback Score
    Helpers and migration assistants may be convenient, but I still have most confidence in performing backups and updates by connecting to a computer with iTunes.

There are differences between what an iCloud backup and an iTunes backup contains, so choose accordingly. I don't rely on cloud storage for anything but mail, so a local backup works better for me.

I migrated from 10.3.3 to 12.1.1 from an iTunes backup when I switched phones, and didn't skip a beat, though given the proliferation of Settings, including those that can result from new features, it is a good idea to go through and audit them with a newer OS.

Using iTunes to perform updates is a complete replacement, and employs the the computer's storage space to stage the payload, instead of relying on the device's storage to do a delta update in situ.