Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tmobile doesn't plan to fully shut down sprint network until 2022

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Tmobile doesn't plan to fully shut down sprint network until 2022

https://www.tmonews.com/2020/12/t-mo...shutdown-2022/

There have been posts and comments on here claiming sprint will be shut down by the middle of next year, hopefully this clears some of that up. They have shut down the sprint network in a few isolated areas (I suspect these are redundant PCS sites) but they won't really start decommissioning the entire network until 2022.

Feedback Score
    Sprint should have died 10 years ago that time SoftBank injected some blood to dead carrier ...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Tmobile doesn't plan to fully shut down sprint network until 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    Sprint should have died 10 years ago that time SoftBank injected some blood to dead carrier ...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Should of, would of, and could of are meaningless words that have zero bearing on anything happening. It’s like a team saying “we should of won”. It’s meaningless, they lost. Sprint should of died 10 years ago is meaningless, they didn’t.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm glad they finally did shed some light as to all this, but the MVNO's that started the rumors to some extent were making claims that the CDMA network could be shut down mid-late 2021.

Tello was one that made this claim directly:
    "Extra good news: Older CDMA phones will work up until at least mid-2021 and our great value plans will not be changed. Plus, many CDMA devices on Tello will already be compatible with the new network."
    "No, not yet. The new network will continue basic CDMA voice service even on older phones until at least mid-2021."
    -- https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-an...giants-merger/

But it does also confirm that in some areas, likely some areas with lots of overlap, T-Mobile HAS been making changes to, and shutting down some Sprint sites. Which would explain why some small pockets of areas like Seattle's Beacon Hill neighborhood began noticing a "decay" in service. (Though most of that decay was in terms of LTE access if on MVNOs or for some reason not able to roam onto T-Mobile. Though some of it did affect some 3G EVDO coverage, but not as much in 1xRTT. Also, iPhone attennas are apparently just horrid and pick up on these gaps more easily, from my experience at least - maybe why iPhones only get up to 4 bars whereas nearly every other device could get 5 bars. I've yet to see iOS support more than 4 bars or dots.)

Though there was the mention that they will continue to take down chunks of Sprint's network in 2021 as well, so perhaps the plan is to try to get everyone onto VoLTE then shutter CDMA?? I am glad to see this update though and can now see what the full timeline will look like. Either way, Sprint's network should be completely gone by the end of 2022 then, which is still pretty damn fast for taking down a national network. So, I'm sure they will actually decom sites they don't need as they go along, so a decent chunk might be gone by the end of 2021. Leaving the brunt work of letting the CDMA network sit, as long as it's not on a tower with both Sprint and T-Mo on it, until the final cutoff in 2022.

Gotta remember they have an agreement to sell some of the spectrum, and perhaps a good chunk of those sites, so I don't think they'd want to waste time sitting on it.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    I'm glad they finally did shed some light as to all this, but the MVNO's that started the rumors to some extent were making claims that the CDMA network could be shut down mid-late 2021.

Tello was one that made this claim directly:
    "Extra good news: Older CDMA phones will work up until at least mid-2021 and our great value plans will not be changed. Plus, many CDMA devices on Tello will already be compatible with the new network."
    "No, not yet. The new network will continue basic CDMA voice service even on older phones until at least mid-2021."
    -- https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-an...giants-merger/

But it does also confirm that in some areas, likely some areas with lots of overlap, T-Mobile HAS been making changes to, and shutting down some Sprint sites. Which would explain why some small pockets of areas like Seattle's Beacon Hill neighborhood began noticing a "decay" in service. (Though most of that decay was in terms of LTE access if on MVNOs or for some reason not able to roam onto T-Mobile. Though some of it did affect some 3G EVDO coverage, but not as much in 1xRTT. Also, iPhone attennas are apparently just horrid and pick up on these gaps more easily, from my experience at least - maybe why iPhones only get up to 4 bars whereas nearly every other device could get 5 bars. I've yet to see iOS support more than 4 bars or dots.)

Though there was the mention that they will continue to take down chunks of Sprint's network in 2021 as well, so perhaps the plan is to try to get everyone onto VoLTE then shutter CDMA?? I am glad to see this update though and can now see what the full timeline will look like. Either way, Sprint's network should be completely gone by the end of 2022 then, which is still pretty damn fast for taking down a national network. So, I'm sure they will actually decom sites they don't need as they go along, so a decent chunk might be gone by the end of 2021. Leaving the brunt work of letting the CDMA network sit, as long as it's not on a tower with both Sprint and T-Mo on it, until the final cutoff in 2022.

Gotta remember they have an agreement to sell some of the spectrum, and perhaps a good chunk of those sites, so I don't think they'd want to waste time sitting on it.
    "4 bars" is just how iOS shows signal, it divides it into quarters instead of fifths. it has nothing to do with being inferior... unless you're using something like an iPhone SE with an Intel radio, as intel slightly lags behind Qualcomm and the SE antenna design is not "the best". It's serviceable on the SE for 99% but it is nowhere near as good as my 11 ProMax or 12 ProMax.

Also, it's probably just time to jump onto a T-Mobile MVNO if Tello is not getting you swapped over. I'm over here using 50+GB/mo on the T-Mobile side on an iPhone no problem. You get what you pay for, service wise.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5+, Any and all Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    "4 bars" is just how iOS shows signal, it divides it into quarters instead of fifths...
    "These go to eleven..."

https://youtu.be/4xgx4k83zzc

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Is this "why" T-mobile's customers are pulling their hair out of their heads? They were complaining and saying that merging Sprint into T-mobile was causing all sorts of problems with their service. They were really fooled! How do you like them apples? Maybe T-mobile had/has a "lousy" network after all - before acquiring Sprint. ----> I guess that is a "sigh of relief" for VERIZON.

Hey? Don't hate me - hate them

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    Is this "why" T-mobile's customers are pulling their hair out of their heads? They were complaining and saying that merging Sprint into T-mobile was causing all sorts of problems with their service. They were really fooled! How do you like them apples? Maybe T-mobile had/has a "lousy" network after all - before acquiring Sprint. ----> I guess that is a "sigh of relief" for VERIZON.

Hey? Don't hate me - hate them
    Just wait till Verizon pulls the rest of Tracfone customers onto their own network since Tracfone doesn't have any network infrastructure to bring in. If VZW customers are ALREADY pulling out their hair due to problems with their service - due to the "aging" network being oversaturated and no "real" improvements being made to aide in the number of Verizon proper users, not MVNOs. (No network buildouts for better coverage or densifications, like Sprint and T-Mobile had, at least according to their own complaints. My complaint included VZW just buying up other carriers and just running the network into the ground.)

What will happen when another million customers on a low grade MVNO gets pulled from T-Mobile and ATT and forced onto VZW?

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    "4 bars" is just how iOS shows signal, it divides it into quarters instead of fifths. it has nothing to do with being inferior... unless you're using something like an iPhone SE with an Intel radio, as intel slightly lags behind Qualcomm and the SE antenna design is not "the best". It's serviceable on the SE for 99% but it is nowhere near as good as my 11 ProMax or 12 ProMax.

Also, it's probably just time to jump onto a T-Mobile MVNO if Tello is not getting you swapped over. I'm over here using 50+GB/mo on the T-Mobile side on an iPhone no problem. You get what you pay for, service wise.
    Thing is, Tello made the announcement that all customer will be swapped over by 2021. So even with the Limbo, if they announce finally getting the new network before the end of this month, it's still in the right time line.

Sides, the device does work nearly everywhere I take it, the only issue is that I've been on 3G more indoors and around my house than before. (I don't usually use data when on my home block due to wifi.)

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just wait till Verizon pulls the rest of Tracfone customers onto their own network since Tracfone doesn't have any network infrastructure to bring in. If VZW customers are ALREADY pulling out their hair due to problems with their service - due to the "aging" network being oversaturated and no "real" improvements being made to aide in the number of Verizon proper users, not MVNOs. (No network buildouts for better coverage or densifications, like Sprint and T-Mobile had, at least according to their own complaints. My complaint included VZW just buying up other carriers and just running the network into the ground.)

What will happen when another million customers on a low grade MVNO gets pulled from T-Mobile and ATT and forced onto VZW?
    Most of them are already on Verizon’s network so won’t make a difference really at all honestly. They do the same thing T-Mobile will do with all the sprint mvnos coming over, deprioritize them.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Thing is, Tello made the announcement that all customer will be swapped over by 2021. So even with the Limbo, if they announce finally getting the new network before the end of this month, it's still in the right time line.

Sides, the device does work nearly everywhere I take it, the only issue is that I've been on 3G more indoors and around my house than before. (I don't usually use data when on my home block due to wifi.)
    Well I mean, that’s in line with my Pixel activated on Tello as well. Sprint is being decommissioned so gaps in LTE will happen for MVNO or people who have really old devices. I only use it for the 1c/min when i’m “on call” for work, so it’s fine for me but I’m on 3G i want to say 50% of the time now on that line.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well I mean, that’s in line with my Pixel activated on Tello as well. Sprint is being decommissioned so gaps in LTE will happen for MVNO or people who have really old devices. I only use it for the 1c/min when i’m “on call” for work, so it’s fine for me but I’m on 3G i want to say 50% of the time now on that line.
    Tello is only my daily driver, doesn't take into account my test equipment.

But I spend more time in LTE when not at my house. Just the bubble around my house where it was mainly 3G got a tiny bit bigger.
    (Like instead of getting LTE a few hundred feet away from my house out front and everywhere else except my alley, 3G now takes the entire block.)

It's like LTE band 26 just poofed cuz where I used to connect to B26, I only get 3G now. Wherever 25 and 41 was, I still get a strong LTE signal - but neither of them are super great and penetration into buildings.

I did already decide that if my husband stays on Hello, which he just upgraded his phone with them, my next phone upgrade will include a switch to them so that we can get on a family plan together with the two lines. Either way it would cost me about the same amount of money, since I pay both bills. (I'd end up saving $0.67/month doing the family plan on Hello and it will reduce how many bills I'm paying overall.)

The good news with Tello's _eventual_ switch to T-Mobile. It's looking like customers will get VoLTE and native wifi calling. (They already hinted at adding wifi calling in a previous BLOG entry shortly after the merger happened.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Tello is only my daily driver, doesn't take into account my test equipment.

But I spend more time in LTE when not at my house. Just the bubble around my house where it was mainly 3G got a tiny bit bigger.
    (Like instead of getting LTE a few hundred feet away from my house out front and everywhere else except my alley, 3G now takes the entire block.)

It's like LTE band 26 just poofed cuz where I used to connect to B26, I only get 3G now. Wherever 25 and 41 was, I still get a strong LTE signal - but neither of them are super great and penetration into buildings.

I did already decide that if my husband stays on Hello, which he just upgraded his phone with them, my next phone upgrade will include a switch to them so that we can get on a family plan together with the two lines. Either way it would cost me about the same amount of money, since I pay both bills. (I'd end up saving $0.67/month doing the family plan on Hello and it will reduce how many bills I'm paying overall.)

The good news with Tello's _eventual_ switch to T-Mobile. It's looking like customers will get VoLTE and native wifi calling. (They already hinted at adding wifi calling in a previous BLOG entry shortly after the merger happened.)
    Right, but it was known Sprint's native coverage was only going to go downhill once the network integration started. T-Mobile is taking sites offline, adjusting coverage area for what's left, and even shifting bands around - so your entire block being 3G only is no surprise to me as T-Mobile probably did an adjustment after improving native T-Mobile service in that area (it could be that B26 sector was replaced with B71/B12)

my native T-Mobile line on the other hand has only gotten more solid since the integration started happening (my LTE speeds have went down a bit, about the time ROAMAHOME was mass added to accounts) but overall the service has been rock solid. Trust me, if you pop a SIM in that device that's native to the T-Mobile side of things, life will be way better.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Right, but it was known Sprint's native coverage was only going to go downhill once the network integration started. T-Mobile is taking sites offline, adjusting coverage area for what's left, and even shifting bands around - so your entire block being 3G only is no surprise to me as T-Mobile probably did an adjustment after improving native T-Mobile service in that area (it could be that B26 sector was replaced with B71/B12)

my native T-Mobile line on the other hand has only gotten more solid since the integration started happening (my LTE speeds have went down a bit, about the time ROAMAHOME was mass added to accounts) but overall the service has been rock solid. Trust me, if you pop a SIM in that device that's native to the T-Mobile side of things, life will be way better.
    I already know this area has strong B71 and B12 since my husband has been on Hello, which very quickly switched to allow BYOD to use T-Mobile SIMs from them. We used his old T-Mo Samsung phone until it broke last week, hence him getting the new phone from Hello. Hello also has begun selling "GSM" devices instead of Sprint CDMA.

I am delighted to see that the bulk of the shutdowns wont happen till after the middle of next year, primarily being completed in 2022. Allows customers of MVNOs that previously used only Sprint the time to get migrated over before things get "too" bad network wise. (Sure, losing LTE is pretty bad, but not as bad as not have ANY service.) It's a sigh of relief that my phone will still function as a phone - at the very least - as Tello gets everything setup for the migration, which is apparently slated to begin for existing customers as early as next month. (Once they start getting "GSM" SIM's anyone who signs up after they get pushed onto the "newly expanded" network will be on-boarded directly to T-Mobile, at least according to them.)

Feedback Score
    Comes to show you all this talk about T-mobile's greatness was greatly exaggerated. I mean T-Mobile is getting there. <--- Key point! But, They are not there yet. If you are going to keep Sprints network until 2022 along with T-Mo's. The problems will get worse and the back and forth blame game will continue. I mean focusing on 5G is nice. I wouldn't solely focus on that when they have all those other problems to fix. I mean 5G may be T-mobile's crown jewel but, they will have to address no reception, lots of dropped calls, numerous outages a year and non working phones. How they mask their problems and put their hopes on another technology boggles my mind.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast