Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tmobile doesn't plan to fully shut down sprint network until 2022

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    Comes to show you all this talk about T-mobile's greatness was greatly exaggerated. I mean T-Mobile is getting there. <--- Key point! But, They are not there yet. If you are going to keep Sprints network until 2022 along with T-Mo's. The problems will get worse and the back and forth blame game will continue. I mean focusing on 5G is nice. I wouldn't solely focus on that when they have all those other problems to fix. I mean 5G may be T-mobile's crown jewel but, they will have to address no reception, lots of dropped calls, numerous outages a year and non working phones. How they mask their problems and put their hopes on another technology boggles my mind.
    I mean, i've had T-Mobile as my primary carrier since 2002, but usually had a 2nd phone on Sprint/Verizon up until a few years ago.

Sprint was always a mish-mash of technology and when I worked there in College I had a "free" phone and Sprint could still never be my primary carrier - too many service issues. Hell, i remember when I was a tech in the store and having to loan out my mobile hotspot on T-Mobile on a regular basis because the store used a T1 for it's data, and Sprint 3g/4g did not produce any usable data inside.

luckily, I had grandfathered unlimited tethering from T-Mobile.. otherwise those demos for customers would have been awkward haha

T-Mobile overall has been great to me, and aside from maybe two times I could not make a call due to an outage, which ironically has been once a year in the last two - has been exceptional.

Overall, they work where 99% of people live.. and just get bad flack.. but people also forget T-Mobile started building ~20yrs AFTER AT&T and Verizon, so yeah... they're gonna be slightly behind. 5G is the first time they can fully start ahead of AT&T/Verizon and they need to keep on it to keep that lead.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Gotta realize, CDMA and EVDO use 1.25mhz channels, and although the focus on software defined radios is 4G LTE and 5G, they do indeed support both GSM-track and CDMA-track 2G and 3G standards. T-Mobile could shift all but 2.5mhz of spectrum over to T-Mobile LTE usage, make sure Sprint LTE usage can access that still, and still have 1x & 3G up and running to meet any contractual requirements or whatever

Sprint did not even have VoLTE up and running throughout their LTE coverage area, and did not have all their 3G coverage area overlaid with LTE either. Verizon has had both done for quite a while, and they've had their 1x and 3G reduced to 1 channel of each for quite a while now with no ill effects; they reported in 2016 they already had 96% of their traffic over LTE so I think T-Mo could turn that 1x and 3G down to a minimum with little ill effects (other than loss of use of 2.5mhz of spectrum, small potatoes compared to all they gained from band 41 etc.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Gotta realize, CDMA and EVDO use 1.25mhz channels, and although the focus on software defined radios is 4G LTE and 5G, they do indeed support both GSM-track and CDMA-track 2G and 3G standards. T-Mobile could shift all but 2.5mhz of spectrum over to T-Mobile LTE usage, make sure Sprint LTE usage can access that still, and still have 1x & 3G up and running to meet any contractual requirements or whatever

Sprint did not even have VoLTE up and running throughout their LTE coverage area, and did not have all their 3G coverage area overlaid with LTE either. Verizon has had both done for quite a while, and they've had their 1x and 3G reduced to 1 channel of each for quite a while now with no ill effects; they reported in 2016 they already had 96% of their traffic over LTE so I think T-Mo could turn that 1x and 3G down to a minimum with little ill effects (other than loss of use of 2.5mhz of spectrum, small potatoes compared to all they gained from band 41 etc.)
    Completely, and this is 100% what I expect them to do once they get every compatible phone onto T-Mobile's LTE network.

Even if they wasted 5-10MHz on it for a year, it's nothing for them to do it.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Completely, and this is 100% what I expect them to do once they get every compatible phone onto T-Mobile's LTE network.

Even if they wasted 5-10MHz on it for a year, it's nothing for them to do it.
    I too would expect T-Mo to do something like that on all sites they will be keeping while not doing anything to the Sprint sites they plan to no longer use and sell off until just before they sell the sites. Giving them time to keep the network working until they get everyone migrated over. For Sprint sites they plan to keep, totally see them doing something like this.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    ...... T-Mobile could shift all but 2.5mhz of spectrum over to T-Mobile LTE usage, make sure Sprint LTE usage can access that still, and still have 1x & 3G up and running to meet any contractual requirements or whatever......
    As I understand it, this won't work because LTE doesn't have provisions for arbitrary bandwidths. For instance, in band 2/25. where this is most likely to happen, you can have LTE bandwidths of 1.4, 3, 5, 10, 15 or 20 MHz. Deploying a single 1.25 MHz CDMA carrier in a 5 MHz block would limit T-Mobile to using a 3 MHz LTE carrier and not being able to aggregate/combine that block with another. It's a tremendous efficiency hit.

There's an ongoing thread on the T-Mobile Support Forum started by a guy who wants T-Mobile to maintain 2G service for as long as people still have 2G phones. There has to be some point at which we decide to just move forward. Whole countries (e.g. Canada, Singapore, etc.) have moved away from 2G. AT&T did it. Verizon will soon do it. As much as I like to play around with my collection of old GSM phones, I'm resigned to the fact that my current T-Mobile SIM isn't even recognized by these devices. Time to move on.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    As I understand it, this won't work because LTE doesn't have provisions for arbitrary bandwidths. For instance, in band 2/25. where this is most likely to happen, you can have LTE bandwidths of 1.4, 3, 5, 10, 15 or 20 MHz. Deploying a single 1.25 MHz CDMA carrier in a 5 MHz block would limit T-Mobile to using a 3 MHz LTE carrier and not being able to aggregate/combine that block with another. It's a tremendous efficiency hit.

There's an ongoing thread on the T-Mobile Support Forum started by a guy who wants T-Mobile to maintain 2G service for as long as people still have 2G phones. There has to be some point at which we decide to just move forward. Whole countries (e.g. Canada, Singapore, etc.) have moved away from 2G. AT&T did it. Verizon will soon do it. As much as I like to play around with my collection of old GSM phones, I'm resigned to the fact that my current T-Mobile SIM isn't even recognized by these devices. Time to move on.
    There will always be those who cling to old devices.

GSM is not really of concern though, as that's just 200kHz in what's essentially a useless guard band, and can stay/go without affecting anything.

3G - HSPA/1x/EvDO on the other hand is spectrum that can be of use for LTE.

I've got my legacy Gold Rewards SIM in a Razr and while it's neat to use.. the voice quality is so bad on 2G/GSM now it's practically useless anyway.

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    I have a pixel 5, this device switches randomly between Sprint and T-Mobiles towers like it's one network. Wondering if voice calls switch seamlessly between two now on LTE?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buckspaul View Post
    I have a pixel 5, this device switches randomly between Sprint and T-Mobiles towers like it's one network. Wondering if voice calls switch seamlessly between two now on LTE?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using HoFo mobile app
    I think this depends on if using roamahome vs tnx. To my knowledge, Roamahome still prefers the sprint voice network so it may or may not work. TNX is a new T-Mobile sim in your device which then puts you directly on T-Mobile network.

Sent from my Tello iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256GB Black/Verizon, iPhone 7 256GB Black/AT&T, iPhone 6s 128GB/T-Mobile
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel was a thriving culture within a company and Sprint SINGLE HANDILY DESTROYED IT.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Should of, would of, and could of are meaningless words that have zero bearing on anything happening. It’s like a team saying “we should of won”. It’s meaningless, they lost. Sprint should of died 10 years ago is meaningless, they didn’t.
    True. Conversely, however, in order to actually die, one must not be a walking CORPSE to begin with.....
    I am looking to take over a former *Centennial Wireless* Account that was converted to *VERIZON*. Preferably one with a data card, but I won't discriminate if it's a voice plan with a dumbphone/smartphone/whatever. If it's a former Centennial Account and is now a VERIZON account, but still has the Centennial Plan on it, then I AM INTERESTED!

FINALLY reached my 6,000th post on Monday February 28th, 2011 at 2:23 A.M. EST.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    We also need to remember that to fully shut down in 2022, the process will need to begin sometime in 2021.

They even confirm that while we have already seen some shutdown activity on a limited basis, we will see more in 2021-2022.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not really... You can still start shutting down on Ja. 1, 2022 and end on Dec 31, 2022. The hardest part will be getting customers with older devices over. As long as T-mobile keeps 3g up on PCS/AWS, many will be fine. Not sure how many Sprint devices support T-Mobile's VoLTE vs using 1x CDMA.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Not really... You can still start shutting down on Ja. 1, 2022 and end on Dec 31, 2022. The hardest part will be getting customers with older devices over. As long as T-mobile keeps 3g up on PCS/AWS, many will be fine. Not sure how many Sprint devices support T-Mobile's VoLTE vs using 1x CDMA.

The entire process of dismantling towers is going to take a while though. At least 18 months.

Makes sense why T-Mo is calling it a “2021-2022 project.”

But yes, the hardest part always lands with the customers. Not everyone wants to get a new device that will work after the shutdown is complete while the current one “works just fine”

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Looks like they are switching some Sprint sites to display 310-260 here in Santa Clarita. Noticed my phone on B41 .. but 310-260 instead of 310-120. Upload was still poor.Name:  Screenshot_20201220-192501.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  27.2 KBName:  Screenshot_20201220-210240.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  28.6 KB

I suspect that its a push to get Sprint customers off or at least roaming on what appears as T-mobile, and T-mobile will add b41/n41 gear to it's sites (TMo and Sprint sites are close to each other). Once T-Mobile's gear is up... Disable the Sprint site.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Looks like they are switching some Sprint sites to display 310-260 here in Santa Clarita. Noticed my phone on B41 .. but 310-260 instead of 310-120. Upload was still poor.Name:  Screenshot_20201220-192501.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  27.2 KBName:  Screenshot_20201220-210240.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  28.6 KB

I suspect that its a push to get Sprint customers off or at least roaming on what appears as T-mobile, and T-mobile will add b41/n41 gear to it's sites (TMo and Sprint sites are close to each other). Once T-Mobile's gear is up... Disable the Sprint site.
    Strangest thing just happened to me. West Seattle, admiral dist, went to do a speed test and it said tmobile on a tello (sprint) iphone.

Anyone know a way to id which towers im connected to on iphone and id its tmo or sprint?

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    The entire process of dismantling towers is going to take a while though. At least 18 months........
    What? Isn't DISH just going to take over the leases?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast