Thread: Tmobile doesn't plan to fully shut down sprint network until 2022

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

Tmobile doesn't plan to fully shut down sprint network until 2022

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    What? Isn't DISH just going to take over the leases?
    Even if Dish took over the leases on any of them. The old sprint hardware needs to be dismantled from the structure.

I’ve seen T-Mobile removing some hardware from some colo towers around me that had both. Some of it gets repurposed and added to the T-Mobile rung.

Sent from my Tello iPhone using HoFo
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Even if Dish took over the leases on any of them. The old sprint hardware needs to be dismantled from the structure.....
    True but I'm not party to the T-Mobile/Dish agreement, so I can't assume that T-Mobile just doesn't turn the surplus sites over to Dish "as is". I have not seen anything that says they have to be "clean" at turnover.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    True but I'm not party to the T-Mobile/Dish agreement, so I can't assume that T-Mobile just doesn't turn the surplus sites over to Dish "as is". I have not seen anything that says they have to be "clean" at turnover.
    This also hinges on if dish actually ever completes the deal for sprints divested assets. This is also why 2022 makes much more sense for T-Mobile to do most of the heavy work on dismantling sprint, that’s also the timeframe they should have an idea on what will be happening to sprints 800 licenses.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    What? Isn't DISH just going to take over the leases?
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    This also hinges on if dish actually ever completes the deal for sprints divested assets. ......
    Yeah. Note the in my earlier post.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Strangest thing just happened to me. West Seattle, admiral dist, went to do a speed test and it said tmobile on a tello (sprint) iphone.

Anyone know a way to id which towers im connected to on iphone and id its tmo or sprint?

With an iPhone, I think there's a code *3001#12345#*
    I see that iOS might have updated this - https://www.tapsmart.com/tips-and-tr...gnal-strength/

look for the plmn_mnc (mobile network code) = 260 = T-Mobile.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    As I understand it, this won't work because LTE doesn't have provisions for arbitrary bandwidths. For instance, in band 2/25. where this is most likely to happen, you can have LTE bandwidths of 1.4, 3, 5, 10, 15 or 20 MHz. Deploying a single 1.25 MHz CDMA carrier in a 5 MHz block would limit T-Mobile to using a 3 MHz LTE carrier and not being able to aggregate/combine that block with another.
    Yeah, for sure, I would assume this would cost a full 5mhz in actuality. But, they're gaining all that band 41 (which, where it was lit up at all, was already 4G/5G, but usually not close to all lit up), and can gain capacity in band 2/25 by converting all that 3G to 4G (minus 5mhz), so they'll come out well ahead (more capacity than T-Mo & Sprint had seperately) even with that 5mhz set aside.

There's an ongoing thread on the T-Mobile Support Forum started by a guy who wants T-Mobile to maintain 2G service for as long as people still have 2G phones. There has to be some point at which we decide to just move forward.
    Agreed. I gotta admit, this might become a problem down the road when people buying like $800-1200 phones start thinking they should be usable forever; I tend to keep my phones a while, but also spend $150 on down for them so if it breaks or (in the case of my last phone) actually replaced due to technological obsolescence (no VoLTE on my previous phone, but also getting rather slow due to it's RAM and CPU specs not really cutting it with the apps I was throwing on it 4 or 5 years later) it's not as big a deal.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score

Tmobile doesn't plan to fully shut down sprint network until 2022

Name:  IMG_0630.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  200.0 KB

“Between now (12/11/2020) and (1/1/2022) the capacity and coverage of the Sprint CDMA network is expected to change.”

(Actual letter received.)

I do suspect much of the LTE Network may be migrated by that point too, just dual-casting for both Sprint and tmo.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Yeah, for sure, I would assume this would cost a full 5mhz in actuality. But, they're gaining all that band 41 (which, where it was lit up at all, was already 4G/5G, but usually not close to all lit up), and can gain capacity in band 2/25 by converting all that 3G to 4G (minus 5mhz), so they'll come out well ahead (more capacity than T-Mo & Sprint had seperately) even with that 5mhz set aside.

Agreed. I gotta admit, this might become a problem down the road when people buying like $800-1200 phones start thinking they should be usable forever; I tend to keep my phones a while, but also spend $150 on down for them so if it breaks or (in the case of my last phone) actually replaced due to technological obsolescence (no VoLTE on my previous phone, but also getting rather slow due to it's RAM and CPU specs not really cutting it with the apps I was throwing on it 4 or 5 years later) it's not as big a deal.
    Luckily with 300+MHz in most markets, it's not going to be a big deal to "waste" ~5-10MHz for ~12mos supporting devices on the Sprint side.

LTE wise they can just mass enable T-Mobile roaming/dual MNC, and CDMA on 1.25-2.5Mhz (just cut EvDO altogether, as anyone using data should be on LTE by now anyway)

Phone wise, anything released S6, and iPhone 6 and up can have VoLTE enabled either via a carrier pack update, or small software update dispatched... although with anything 3+yrs old, T-Mobile is almost better just issuing a cheap "free" replacement and calling it a day.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max / iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15
    LTE wise they can just mass enable T-Mobile roaming/dual MNC, and CDMA on 1.25-2.5Mhz (just cut EvDO altogether, as anyone using data should be on LTE by now anyway)
    T-Mobile wont need to use the any of the Sprint MNCs, since they can always have Sprint devices use the T-Mobile MNC. They will need to run the Sprint SID for CDMA, but on the LTE side they only need to use one. The only time the Sprint MNC would be needed is if this was a merely a network sharing agreement and Sprint wants to keep their customers and billing seperate from T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max / iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Even if Dish took over the leases on any of them. The old sprint hardware needs to be dismantled from the structure.
    Dish wants to use cloud based RANs for their network anyways so they wouldnt need the existing hardware other than the antenna, fiber and electric meter. They might not even the meter if Dish pre purchsed blocks of electrcity or if usage monitoring is cloud based.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Dish wants to use cloud based RANs for their network anyways so they wouldnt need the existing hardware other than the antenna, fiber and electric meter. They might not even the meter if Dish pre purchsed blocks of electrcity or if usage monitoring is cloud based.
    Shack and backup power? (Assuming DISH has any real plans to deploy.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    T-Mobile wont need to use the any of the Sprint MNCs, since they can always have Sprint devices use the T-Mobile MNC. They will need to run the Sprint SID for CDMA, but on the LTE side they only need to use one. The only time the Sprint MNC would be needed is if this was a merely a network sharing agreement and Sprint wants to keep their customers and billing seperate from T-Mobile.
    Well I mean they’re already doing it with that 2nd Sprint MNC that I can even choose today, and still be parked on both Sprint or T-Mobile bands/hardware.. and I assume that’s based on T-Mobile’s LTE core and not sprint.. just broadcasting a Sprint SIM friendly MNC so the phones don’t think they’re “roaming” all of the time

It’s nothing but a software setting on their end anyway, so I see them doing it for the foreseeable future (until they get enough people moved over and flip it off)

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Well I mean they’re already doing it with that 2nd Sprint MNC that I can even choose today, and still be parked on both Sprint or T-Mobile bands/hardware.. and I assume that’s based on T-Mobile’s LTE core and not sprint.. just broadcasting a Sprint SIM friendly MNC so the phones don’t think they’re “roaming” all of the time

It’s nothing but a software setting on their end anyway, so I see them doing it for the foreseeable future (until they get enough people moved over and flip it off)
    From what I can tell from my end is they are doing it for b25/41 as they integrate the networks until at least most customers are migrated over. Showing sprint mnc on my phone, but T-Mobile backend for the service in Seattle on LTE. On cdma, still fully shows sprint.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    From what I can tell from my end is they are doing it for b25/41 as they integrate the networks until at least most customers are migrated over. Showing sprint mnc on my phone, but T-Mobile backend for the service in Seattle on LTE. On cdma, still fully shows sprint.

Yeah the MNC would only be for "GSM-standards" based services, such as LTE.

I see them leaving that "sprint friendly" MNC up, just as they do for MetroPCS customers. CDMA will stay on Sprint as it requires the legacy CDMA core to function.

Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Yeah the MNC would only be for "GSM-standards" based services, such as LTE.

I see them leaving that "sprint friendly" MNC up, just as they do for MetroPCS customers. CDMA will stay on Sprint as it requires the legacy CDMA core to function.
    At least until they shut the cdma network down

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast