Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Band 41 Status on T-Mobile?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Band 41 Status on T-Mobile?

My OP6T supports band 41, but I haven't seen it used yet on T-Mobile. I might try band locking to it to see what happens.

I am getting a OP8 soon, so that I can start mapping 5G.

How widespread is T-Mobile's use of B41/n41 at this point? Since it's the middle of the T-Mobile "pie," I expect it will be the most important. I don't ever expect to see mmWave here in suburbia and B71/n71 will probably be saturated quickly if they ever deploy it widely enough (so far that doesn't seem to be the case around here).

It will be interesting just to see how limited NR really still is at this point in South OC.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sadly, I have no way of band locking on 5g. I will try B41 LTE again to see if new sites have some B41 with n41.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    My OP6T supports band 41, but I haven't seen it used yet on T-Mobile. I might try band locking to it to see what happens.

I am getting a OP8 soon, so that I can start mapping 5G.

How widespread is T-Mobile's use of B41/n41 at this point? Since it's the middle of the T-Mobile "pie," I expect it will be the most important. I don't ever expect to see mmWave here in suburbia and B71/n71 will probably be saturated quickly if they ever deploy it widely enough (so far that doesn't seem to be the case around here).

It will be interesting just to see how limited NR really still is at this point in South OC.
    Ok. I still have my rooted OnePlus 6T and unfortunately I haven't been able to connect to B41 either. That's sitting close to a site running a single B41 carrier under 310-260 PLMN. I confirmed this by swapping the SIM into my unlocked Note 20 5G and bam.....B41 and n41.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score

I don’t know how accurate SCP is on reporting this, but I’ve seen B41 show up a few times as a Neighbor Cell:

At Longley & Aircenter, T-Mobile and Sprint had monopoles about 200’ apart, so they’ve quite possibly already decommissioned the Sprint site and added equipment on the T-Mobile site.
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've seen it as a neighbor for a few months (start of October in MI near West Branch). In a few spots, my phone will switch to 310-120 on N41.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    My Sprint phone is always on band 41 which so annoying.
    I wish it prefers band 66 (or it's subnet b4)

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score

Anyone seeing Sprint B25 as a Neighbor Cell Or PCC? Note “25:8140” in this screenshot, which is licensed to Sprint in my area:

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    Anyone seeing Sprint B25 as a Neighbor Cell Or PCC? Note “25:8140” in this screenshot, which is licensed to Sprint in my area.
    Are you asking about Sprint B25 deployed on a T-Mobile site or T-Mobile utilizing 25 on their network? I'm seeing a lot of Sprint B25 here is low T-Mobile signal areas....

They also have a 10 MHz 25 carrier as well.

Name:  Screenshot_20201028-144354_Service mode RIL.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  48.1 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Are you asking about Sprint B25 deployed on a T-Mobile site or T-Mobile utilizing 25 on their network? I'm seeing a lot of Sprint B25 here is low T-Mobile signal areas....

They also have a 10 MHz 25 carrier as well.

Name:  Screenshot_20201028-144354_Service mode RIL.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  48.1 KB
    That confirms my curiosity that T-Mobile is now using Sprint spectrum on their sites.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    From home at least, band locking to 41 dropped it down to HSPA+. I don't get out as much as I used to but I need to get the SDR working again to see if there's any signals on the band. I have a OP8 on the way as well, so I will have to see about rooting it to see if that will use it.

Another thought I had is whether I need a new SIM for 5G/NR and/or new bands to T-Mobile?

But from the above it seems there's still a lot of work to do. Thank you all for the reports.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I checked the spectrum range of B41 on the SDR and found the following blocks. They are all quite weak from my rooftop discone, fed mostly by LMR600.

Rounded to (roughly) the nearest MHz:

2496-2515
    2516-2535
    2536-2555
    2631-2650

I will see what mapping I can do when the new phone comes.

Device(s)
    Original Silver Cingular V3 RAZR
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular--thinking about Sprint!
    Feedback Score
    Wow, my old login still works. Looking at some TMo threads and came across this.

Apparently for some reason none of you are aware that TMo is pulling the LTE B41 TDD equipment and replacing it with 5G NR-SA on n41. That is, 41 will be a pure 5G band and your old LTE TDD phone won't work with the new radios.

As for where the radios are, there seems to still be rather little of it as I write this. It's another reason why I'm holding off on buying a new phone, besides that I am waiting for Qualcomm's X-60 modem (coming on the Snapdragon 888 SoC but should be on others) that will offer drastic improvements and features over the X-5x series including stand-alone voice over 5G and CA with 5G NR & LTE.

As for the hot spot its a hard decision over the home internet if you aren't travelling. If only you could include that 100GB on your 5G phone: of course, then they couldn't soak you for yet another line.

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by storkus View Post
    Apparently for some reason none of you are aware that TMo is pulling the LTE B41 TDD equipment and replacing it with 5G NR-SA on n41. That is, 41 will be a pure 5G band and your old LTE TDD phone won't work with the new radios.
    This seems very possible, but I haven't noticed this is a stated position from T-Mobile. Can you link to a source?

T-Mobile is denigrating DSS since it's competition is heavily reliant on band sharing. But I still would have expected that T-Mobile would do a "poor man's DSS" by statically allocating some 2.5gHz to B41 and some to N41, migrating more as 5GNR becomes more prevalent.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a new phone which supports this coming, but it appears I will need a new SIM to use SA NR. My old LTE SIM won't work for this, right?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Wow, my old login still works. Looking at some TMo threads and came across this.

Not true. There are a number of sites here that have been upgraded and are running n41 along side a single B41 LTE carrier. This one is in Macomb Township, Michigan. HPLMN and serving PLMN are both T-Mobile and not the 312-250 which is roaming on Sprint sites. Not all of the 2.5 is contiguous so it makes sense for them to run some of the blocks on LTE, at least for the short term since current devices cannot do n41+n41 CA.

Name:  20201215_111212.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  55.3 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast