Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Prepaid Mobile Internet Plans

Feedback Score

New Prepaid Mobile Internet Plans

It looks like to go along with the updated postpaid data-only plans, T-Mobile's prepaid side also got a revamp. There aren't as many options (no $5/500MB or $20/5GB), but they're at least better in most ways than the 2/6/10/14/18/22 options that would go up to $85 (and still on the external site):

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 6.24.00 PM.png
Views: 293
Size:  42.4 KB

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Nice, definitely affordable and you can skip the credit check + hassle of a postpaid account if you have voice service elsewhere. I have a grandfathered mobile internet plan tacked on to my family plan with T-Mobile. I rarely use it but it's saved the day several times and I like having a dedicated hotspot. Or, you can toss it into a cell equipped iPad.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 12 eSIM; Samsung A71 5G
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 12 dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]; Cricket: iPhone SE 2nd gen
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    It looks like to go along with ...
    Where do you see that menu of plans? Wondering if the new plans are available to existing non-5g customers.

I have a prepaid LTE hotspot used off and on for a few years. Haven't been able to log into my online account for a year or so while they "improve my experience." I must use the convoluted phone system or work with a customer service rep. Monthly plans are no longer listed in the phone menu system (the same old one time data passes are there) - they redirect you to customer service to set up autopay before they tell what plans are available. No patience for that today.

Feedback Score
    Never mind. I found the menu here:

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-de...obile-internet

Stepping through the system, it says my old ZTE MF915 (LTE bands 2/4/12/17) is not compatible via a BYO IMEI check - even though I activated a one week data pass today with no problem.

No 5G devices offered at the moment. Two LTE hotspots though: alcatel linkzone 2 (lte bands 2/4/5/12/25/26/71/66) and franklin t9 (lte bands 2/5/41/12/4/71)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thu1227 View Post
    Never mind. I found the menu here:

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-de...obile-internet

Stepping through the system, it says my old ZTE MF915 (LTE bands 2/4/12/17) is not compatible via a BYO IMEI check - even though I activated a one week data pass today with no problem.

No 5G devices offered at the moment. Two LTE hotspots though: alcatel linkzone 2 (lte bands 2/4/5/12/25/26/71/66) and franklin t9 (lte bands 2/5/41/12/4/71)
    I'd guess yours really should work, no idea why it would be failing the compatibility check (skipping the check and getting a new SIM should be fine—the most recent version of those plans would work on just about any device, including phones). Based on your first screenshot, it looks like your hotspot was on the old billing system that no longer seems to work for account management (as you mentioned, one can call customer service and buy passes, but otherwise it's broken).

Feedback Score
    I called the service number, above, and had them do a call back to troubleshoot. They called in about 5 minutes.

They said the website continues to be upgraded, merging multiple systems, so for now the phone system is the way to go. "Hopefully in January ..."

Also, I found out I am on a grandfathered mobile internet plan, so I must upgrade the SIM to get the new prepaid data plans. Adam (thanks!) arranged to mail a free SIM which should be here in a few days. Then I am to call 877-778-2106 and request to be moved to the new prepaid mobile internet system, then all should be right again.

Thanks again for the heads up on the new plans. I was ready to give up on the device.

If anyone is in the same boat, you'll need the phone number assigned to your hotspot and your account security PIN.

Feedback Score
    Also, I found out I am on a grandfathered mobile internet plan, so I must upgrade the SIM to get the new prepaid data plans. Adam (thanks!) arranged to mail a free SIM which should be here in a few days. Then I am to call 877-778-2106 and request to be moved to the new prepaid mobile internet system, then all should be right again.

Thanks again for the heads up on the new plans. I was ready to give up on the device.

If anyone is in the same boat, you'll need the phone number assigned to your hotspot and your account security PIN.
    If you don't care about the phone number on the account, you can probably just start new service with a new SIM and throw it in your hotspot (skip the IMEI check during the setup process). That builds the account puts it on that particular plan. Anything on the new system (called Rebellion) gets a real account number, rather than using the phone number and they're requiring 6+ digit PINs.

The new billing system is what's used for all prepaid services, so it actually lumps in the Connect (2GB/5GB) and the Simply Prepaid (10GB/Unlimited) voice plans, so you can move between all of those and the Mobile Internet plans if things change in the future. Previously Mobile Internet (data-only) was on the "Connect Me" site and voice/data plans were on their own system. Since they're going to migrate your old account, you'll end up doing is a lot like what people who were on the "Walmart" smartphone plan (5GB data + 100 minutes + unlimited texts for $30). I have a couple of the old 200MB/month "free data for life" plans on the old system and don't really have any way to manage them, but they keep working for now.

They could've handled the change better overall, but it seems like most of the current plans are way better than what they had before, and Rebellion has been good once the biggest bugs have been worked out (early on there were lots of issues).

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I think I will start fresh when I get the new SIM. I'll probably need to use a different email address for the online account as the old one is stuck in limbo, being tied to the old account. If their terms haven't changed a mobile internet account can remain unused for a year before it expires so it'll be a while before that clears up without intervention.

Feedback Score
    Nice new option!

If you used 100 GB in one abnormally high use month, is there a possibility to purchase more, or would you need a second SIM to get more data?

I take it you can also upgrade or downgrade between plans without having to get a new SIM?

Feedback Score
    I received my new SIM today and activated it online, skipping the IMEI check. You must choose a monthly plan to get started, I chose the $10 plan, but autopay is off by default. After activating and getting your number, etc. you'll have to return and set up a new online account if you don't have one already. I set up a new one with a different email address since my old account is problematic. Once all set up you can change to any of the Simply Prepaid, T-Mobile Connect, or Mobile Internet Plans. Or add any of the six On-Demand Data Passes ranging from 1hour/10MB/$1 to 30day/7GB/$50. These look the same as with the old plan. You'll need to add a payment method and turn autopay on if you want that.

Browsing through the account options I see the plan includes Binge On. Nice. "With Binge On™, you are FREE to stream unlimited video on popular streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and more, without using your data."

The fine print says the line will be cancelled after a year of inactivity so I assume I can let this monthly plan expire and I can add a data pass or restart a monthly plan as needed - like I've done with the old plan for several years now.

If you run out of high speed data you could add a data pass or possibly change your monthly plan and start a fresh billing month.

I ran into some browser problems - the old greyed out Continue button problem, halfway through the process when using Firefox on Windows with Privacy Badger. Switched to Edge but it said my SIM was reserved and to try again in two hours. Did that with Edge again and got stuck in a loop where it required me to select a device and couldn't get out. Waited another two hours, then went back to Firefox with all add-ons disabled, and got it all done.

But in the end, I have access to the new plans and a working online account to manage the device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Michigan View Post
    Nice new option!

If you used 100 GB in one abnormally high use month, is there a possibility to purchase more, or would you need a second SIM to get more data?

I take it you can also upgrade or downgrade between plans without having to get a new SIM?
    Typically they've always sold the passes, which are not a great value, but I think you can call 611 and have them start a new billing cycle. I could be wrong on that, but it seems like something that was possible.

As for upgrading/downgrading without changing SIMs, yeah, you can actually move between any of the prepaid plans and keep the SIM going (Simply Prepaid, Connect, or Mobile Internet).

I received my new SIM today and activated it online, skipping the IMEI check. You must choose a monthly plan to get started, I chose the $10 plan, but autopay is off by default. After activating and getting your number, etc. you'll have to return and set up a new online account if you don't have one already. I set up a new one with a different email address since my old account is problematic. Once all set up you can change to any of the Simply Prepaid, T-Mobile Connect, or Mobile Internet Plans. Or add any of the six On-Demand Data Passes ranging from 1hour/10MB/$1 to 30day/7GB/$50. These look the same as with the old plan. You'll need to add a payment method and turn autopay on if you want that. [...]

But in the end, I have access to the new plans and a working online account to manage the device.
    Glad to hear you got everything up and running! I've been in the two-hour SIM jail before, so I know what you mean about that. It seems with Mobile Internet plans, you can pay for the month and then if there's insufficient funds it will sit idle (not sure how long, my hotspot is on month #3 at the moment). I overpaid by a few dollars so it's not a zero amount just in case that may trigger a shutdown (basically hanging out with $5 on it).

I've also used the number change feature to port in numbers for accounts that I've wanted to kill—it's a bit easier than dealing with cancellations from some providers, and you can use it as much as you'd like.

The other reason for this is that if you're using Simply Prepaid or Connect and don't have sufficient funds, but have actual funds (i.e. you have $15 Connect, but $5 on the account), the account will suspend, and after 120 days will actually convert to the not-officially-available-for-new-users $3/month paygo plan, but on this billing system (10˘/minute or text, no data, 30 included each month). It's not as good as the new Ultra paygo plan that sort of replaced it, but is sort of a way to offset losing a number or working SIM for a really long time, you can convert back to Simply Prepaid/Connect/Mobile Internet at any time.

Mobile Internet plans have also had access to T-Mobile Tuesdays, which is kind of nice if you find any value in that. I'm not sure if the newly-released ones do, but the prior ones did, so it might be worth a try.

There are some annoying things, like that it doesn't work with the T-Mobile app, has Scam Shield capabilities on the voice plans, but doesn't work with that app, but overall, I don't mind the new T-Mobile prepaid setup.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a5G, Moto G Stylus, G Power, G7 Power and G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, TextNow and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    I received my new SIM today and activated it online, skipping the IMEI check. You must choose a monthly plan to get started, I chose the $10 plan, but autopay is off by default. After activating and getting your number, etc. you'll have to return and set up a new online account if you don't have one already. I set up a new one with a different email address since my old account is problematic. Once all set up you can change to any of the Simply Prepaid, T-Mobile Connect, or Mobile Internet Plans. Or add any of the six On-Demand Data Passes ranging from 1hour/10MB/$1 to 30day/7GB/$50. These look the same as with the old plan. You'll need to add a payment method and turn autopay on if you want that.

Browsing through the account options I see the plan includes Binge On. Nice. "With Binge On™, you are FREE to stream unlimited video on popular streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and more, without using your data."

The fine print says the line will be cancelled after a year of inactivity so I assume I can let this monthly plan expire and I can add a data pass or restart a monthly plan as needed - like I've done with the old plan for several years now.

If you run out of high speed data you could add a data pass or possibly change your monthly plan and start a fresh billing month.

I ran into some browser problems - the old greyed out Continue button problem, halfway through the process when using Firefox on Windows with Privacy Badger. Switched to Edge but it said my SIM was reserved and to try again in two hours. Did that with Edge again and got stuck in a loop where it required me to select a device and couldn't get out. Waited another two hours, then went back to Firefox with all add-ons disabled, and got it all done.

What about the unlimited music feature?
    Does that work with Binge On?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    What about the unlimited music feature?
    Does that work with Binge On?
    I don't know. I don't see Music Freedom mentioned anywhere in the plan descriptions or account menus. Will have to experiment.

In researching Binge On, T-Mobile says in their support forums that these are legacy features and aren't updated with newer services like Disney+ so don't get your hopes up.

https://community.t-mobile.com/accou...treaming-14108

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/bing...treaming-video

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-music-streaming
    Last edited by thu1227; 12-19-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Feedback Score
    Streamed 20 minutes of iHeart radio and podcast to my laptop - used 40 MB. Then 8 minutes of video from Crackle - used 70 MB.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you're in need of a hotspot: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

Test Drive will get you one for free. Must use an address not associated with a T-Mobile account. I used my PO Box to get one and it's a Franklin T9, the one with the small LCD screen. Comes with 30GB/30 days of service and after that you can use any T-Mobile SIM card.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast