Thread: My Journey Quitting Smoking

Feedback Score

My Journey Quitting Smoking

I'm only 32-years-old. I picked up smoking in 2007 when I was 19 and still in college. Got started with flavored clove cigarettes. Used them casually for a couple years. Maybe one a week; maybe one a day. Just whenever I felt like having one. Finished college in 2010 and entered the work force. Adulthood brought a new level of stress, and I began to use nicotine more and more. By 2012, I was a pack a day smoker. This continued until March of this year when I was laid off from my job due to the pandemic. From 2010 to 2020, the price of the brand of cigarettes I smoked climbed from around $3.30 a pack to almost $7 a pack.

When I was laid off from my job and was going over expenses, I knew that a $7 a day habit was not sustainable. I picked up a Juul, which is a vaping device, and began to use that to curb my cravings. By June, I stopped smoking cigarettes entirely and was using a Juul pod a day. A four-pack of Juul pods in my area is about $16. One pod=roughly one pack of cigarettes. This was less than what I was spending, but I decided I needed to cut this down even more. After researching alternatives, I decided to purchase a Uwell Caliburn, a pod system similar to the Juul, but with the option of filling my own vape juice. I cut the $4 a day habit down to roughly $0.50 a day with this switch.

I've been using this device exclusively since June and began using vape liquid with less nicotine strength. I'm now down to using vape liquid that's roughly half the strength of a typical cigarette, and I'm down to spending roughly $0.25 a day on my nicotine habit. I plan to quit using the device altogether at some point early next year. I tried a cigarette just s**ts and giggles in September to see how it would be, and I was disgusted after one puff. Even the smell of cigarettes disgusts me now.

For anyone considering quitting smoking, what finally did it for me was looking at how much I was spending on a habit that was doing nothing but killing me. But even more importantly, I deep down inside truly wanted to quit. So many people attempt to quit but don't actually quit because, regardless of what they say, they deep down inside don't really want to. I used the vape device as a crutch to help me along. Plus there are all kinds of vape flavors you can pick from, unless you're in a state like New York which has banned every flavor except for Tobacco.

If you or anyone you know and love is struggling to quit and want any of my device, feel free to comment below or PM me and I'll be more than happy to give my input on helping to quit.

Feedback Score
    Nice going!

I quit smoking back in 2007. Been heavy on the pipe, too. I catch respiratory infections easily, one of these sensitive-lung-guys, so i shouldn't really be inhaling anything except for air.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 12-23-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    I quit smoking cigarettes and change it for GLO. Not the best decision but here we are.

Feedback Score
    Been cigarette free for about 8 months now. I've since moved down to 24mg salt nicotine with my vape juices. I'll eventually reach zero when I'm ready.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Good going! I quit cold turkey 15 years ago and it was great to be free of those chains.

Feedback Score
    Estimating my longevity & time before senility. I quit 29+ yrs ago, only because I was suffering many symptoms of illnesses because of smoking. Per my estimate I plan on starting smoking again 5 years prior to senility. I miss smoking but like I said there were all sorts of signs that smoking was killing me.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Been cigarette free for about 8 months now. I've since moved down to 24mg salt nicotine with my vape juices. I'll eventually reach zero when I'm ready.
    You're doing great. Wishing you all the best to reach zero soon.
    Samsung Galaxy is the Best

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frail View Post
    Good going! I quit cold turkey 15 years ago
    I prefer my turkey heated over cold and I have never smoked turkey.
    Just another day in paradise.....