Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has ATT Already Closed the Network Gap with Verizon?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Has ATT Already Closed the Network Gap with Verizon?

From Tyrone with Tech Life Channel:

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    From Tyrone with Tech Life Channel:

at&t has increased gap with T-Mobile...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T probably does have the best network in the country right now, they’ve done this rather quietly. Even 3rd party tests seem to bear this out, especially in the speed department . The issue is, and always has been at&t can be a PITA to deal with. it’s a shame actually.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's area dependent. There are some areas where AT&T has coverage but Verizon doesn't, and others where Verizon has coverage and AT&T doesn't. In my experience, Verizon still has the advantage, especially out west. Speed wise, AT&T seems to win in most places now.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac704 View Post
    It's area dependent. There are some areas where AT&T has coverage but Verizon doesn't, and others where Verizon has coverage and AT&T doesn't. In my experience, Verizon still has the advantage, especially out west. Speed wise, AT&T seems to win in most places now.
    Would love to know why people seem to think Verizon is so good "out west" when its still considered "barely usable" by quite a few people in WA state.

I for one will always agree it is area dependent, and well, got my proof that Western WA is still mainly T-Mobile country.
    (My neighbor upstairs plans on switching to T-Mo because his Verizon Phone does not work at all around this building on Beacon Hill, Seattle. We had this talk just a couple weeks ago, he plans on switching because I've told him Sprint is pretty much the same and only T-Mobile seems to work on this particular hill.)

But, when I was in SC (back east) Verizon was literally the ONLY carrier that had coverage through the state and out in the small town where I lived.

But of course, T-Mobile is based out of Bellevue, just outside Seattle - so it would make sense as to why it seems to work better here than even ATT, which still has better coverage than Verizon and Sprint had in Puget Sound. Of course this is only my own observations and is partly based on conversations I have regularly with customers of all carriers.

They all do offer coverage here, and will work in many cases, its just that ATT and T-Mobile are more stable coverage and service wise.
    (I've always felt that all the hills around here just don't help with CDMA based tech.)

I should also note that even here in WA, there are places where one offers coverage and the others dont.
    Like Verizon does really well in and east of the mountains coverage wise. As to how stable that connection is - I'm not out that way enough to tell ya.

Within Seattle, Belleuvue, Redmond the top two are T-Mobile (now) and AT&T (historically).
    West Seattle was Sprint and ATT. (Sprint's partnership with Quest left them with towers on Quest/Centurylink buildings, and one of the big ones is in West Seattle.) Verizon never really worked all too well in the outskirt areas of Seattle, even West Seattle needed AMPS from them to get any coverage - which is gone now. (I remember the days of insisting on tri-mode phones to get a good signal when I sold their devices.)

Though because of the Sprint/Quest thing, Sprint should have been good here in the PNW (Quest's main markets) - and they were in the old CDMA days. But we became an afterthought in regards to LTE/VoLTE rollout. (Lots of areas never even got LTE from Sprint.)

Of course, if you look at the coverage maps for any of the "Big 3"
    They all have similar large gaps in the Western US, many of those areas are "shared gaps" (where they all don't seem to offer any coverage).
    Most of those gaps are well, in the mountains too.
    Weirdly enough, of the three maps, it appears ATT's has the fewest coverage gaps "out west" - Verizon with the second fewest.
    Last edited by jmac32here; 12-24-2020 at 03:20 AM.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    It's definitely area dependent. AT&T is literally years behind Verizon in small cells in a lot of areas including here. In others, AT&T is building them like crazy. Overall I'd say they have greatly improved over the last 5.years and probably getting close to matching Verizon in overall coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Would love to know why people seem to think Verizon is so good "out west" when its still considered "barely usable" by quite a few people in WA state.

I for one will always agree it is area dependent, and well, got my proof that Western WA is still mainly T-Mobile country.
    (My neighbor upstairs plans on switching to T-Mo because his Verizon Phone does not work at all around this building on Beacon Hill, Seattle. We had this talk just a couple weeks ago, he plans on switching because I've told him Sprint is pretty much the same and only T-Mobile seems to work on this particular hill.)

But, when I was in SC (back east) Verizon was literally the ONLY carrier that had coverage through the state and out in the small town where I lived.

But of course, T-Mobile is based out of Bellevue, just outside Seattle - so it would make sense as to why it seems to work better here than even ATT, which still has better coverage than Verizon and Sprint had in Puget Sound. Of course this is only my own observations and is partly based on conversations I have regularly with customers of all carriers.

They all do offer coverage here, and will work in many cases, its just that ATT and T-Mobile are more stable coverage and service wise.
    (I've always felt that all the hills around here just don't help with CDMA based tech.)

I should also note that even here in WA, there are places where one offers coverage and the others dont.
    Like Verizon does really well in and east of the mountains coverage wise. As to how stable that connection is - I'm not out that way enough to tell ya.

Within Seattle, Belleuvue, Redmond the top two are T-Mobile (now) and AT&T (historically).
    West Seattle was Sprint and ATT. (Sprint's partnership with Quest left them with towers on Quest/Centurylink buildings, and one of the big ones is in West Seattle.) Verizon never really worked all too well in the outskirt areas of Seattle, even West Seattle needed AMPS from them to get any coverage - which is gone now. (I remember the days of insisting on tri-mode phones to get a good signal when I sold their devices.)

Though because of the Sprint/Quest thing, Sprint should have been good here in the PNW (Quest's main markets) - and they were in the old CDMA days. But we became an afterthought in regards to LTE/VoLTE rollout. (Lots of areas never even got LTE from Sprint.)

Of course, if you look at the coverage maps for any of the "Big 3"
    They all have similar large gaps in the Western US, many of those areas are "shared gaps" (where they all don't seem to offer any coverage).
    Most of those gaps are well, in the mountains too.
    Weirdly enough, of the three maps, it appears ATT's has the fewest coverage gaps "out west" - Verizon with the second fewest.
    I've never been to Seattle, so I can't really speak on that. Anecdotally, I've heard AT&T is the best in Washington state, especially the eastern portion. I do know that in parts of western Oregon, Verizon is the only one that works. Same with large parts of Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Montana, Nebraska, and Iowa. Those are all Western states, and where 90% of Verizon's coverage advantage remains.

South Carolina coverage is very much area dependent. AT&T has always been the strongest in the Upstate, while Verizon historically dominated the central and eastern parts of the state. South Carolina is one of those states where AT&T has been building out, and Verizon's advantage is almost gone. There are a lot of other states like that as well. In North Carolina, Verizon historically dominated the Outer Banks and mountains, while it was about even in the central part of the state. Now, AT&T dominates the Outer Banks and central part of the state, while Verizon still dominates the mountains. In Illinois, AT&T is the best throughout the state, and the only one with coverage in some areas. The exception is Chicago where they're the worst. In Arizona, AT&T is the best in Phoenix, but the worst throughout the rest of the state. Same with Nevada, best in Vegas and worst everywhere else.

Long story short, it's still very much area dependent. Verizon's one and only advantage right now is the coverage lead in the Western states. Their speed and congestion are horrible in most areas. The customer experience has also gone down the toilet. Once the coverage lead evaporates, they're going to be in trouble. AT&T is not as close as some would like to believe out west, though. In the eastern states, there is not much difference in coverage, and I would even give AT&T a slight lead. T-Mobile is still a distant 3rd everywhere from my experience.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac704 View Post
    I tend to agree. In smaller rural.communities, Verizon has small cells for capacity and coverage. Att has more capacity here in the west. TMobile has some good speeds in rural areas (probably due to lack of rural subscribers), but in general service is hit or miss.

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    based on coverage maps, ATT has improved in Nebraska. But it has been over 1 1/2 years since I was last up there with time to check phone coverage, and then Verizon was still better within 20 miles of the state capital on an US highway I was in a large dead spot for ATT. COVID worries have kept me from visiting family up there this year.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. Not yet signed up for 5G.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    based on coverage maps, ATT has improved in Nebraska. But it has been over 1 1/2 years since I was last up there with time to check phone coverage, and then Verizon was still better within 20 miles of the state capital on an US highway I was in a large dead spot for ATT. COVID worries have kept me from visiting family up there this year.
    I know Att has been building out on Viaero's cells throughout the state. Still roams on them when needed.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    In Killeen Texas, Verizon has 5 or more small cells deployed that I've found. Verizon isn't doing too bad here, just get better coverage and pricing with At&t.
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, At&t Unlimited Elite Belton, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $69.99/month

Device(s)
    iPhone X (Verizon), Pixel 2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - (2000-2018) T-Mobile (2018-present, VZW (2011-present)
    Feedback Score
    It really is an area by area basis. In West, Southeast Texas, and Houston, Verizon is the much better and more dominant choice. In DFW, the Hill Country, and the Austin/San Antonio area, AT&T is the more dominant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    AT&T probably does have the best network in the country right now, they’ve done this rather quietly. Even 3rd party tests seem to bear this out, especially in the speed department . The issue is, and always has been at&t can be a PITA to deal with. it’s a shame actually.
    At&t is definitely the worst one in the country.
    Even I work besides it's headquarters, the speed is barely over 5Mpbs, the T-Mobile near 200Mpbs LTE-A speed around at&t wireless headquarters

Sent from my huawei hma-al00 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Has ATT Already Closed the Network Gap with Verizon?

Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    At&t is definitely the worst one in the country.
    Even I work besides it's headquarters, the speed is barely over 5Mpbs, the T-Mobile near 200Mpbs LTE-A speed around at&t wireless headquarters

Sent from my huawei hma-al00 using Tapatalk
    Worst in the country huh? Bold claim, any type of evidence to back this up? Or is it just a biased opinion based on your anecdotal evidence and personal biases? Always love to look at actual numbers, instead of just some random person saying their friends friend doesn’t have service here. Personal experience isn’t wrong, but it’s unreliable to use as a claim for national coverage. If a carrier doesn’t work where someone is, to them, it may not be a good option, but based on all 3rd party testing and actual data numbers from across the country, on a whole, in terms of coverage and speed, at&t is right there with Verizon with T-Mobile lagging behind mainly in the coverage department.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    To me, of the top 3, Verizon is the only one that has got worse. Congestion/deprioritization in some areas that are important for me. But I'm not in one of the new mmWave 5G areas. And it is good where I live, just not at work and some other city areas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast